• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    How do you know when to change your media? When it doesn't work well or when it just gets kinda dirty. Does this vary by type of media? Thanks for input. Am talking about using on variety of pistol ammo (380,9mm,45,44 mag).

SEH0521

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jun 18, 2020
    Jackson County
    Try cutting used dryer sheets into smaller squares - it helps remove dust and fine particles/dirt from the media while tumbling.
    Also using small amounts of mineral spirits and/or Nu-Finish (or name brand tumbling polish) seems to do well extending my media useful life.
    But I'm curious as to what others do as well.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I use crushed walnut shells.
    I have noticed that after a while, the media starts to feel dusty, smooth, not sharp, hard like new.
    I usually replace it when it starts to feel like that, usually 6 months to a year, depending on how often I use it.
    However, last summer, on a whim, I took some old media, put it in a bucket, and, basically, washed it with a high pressure hose.
    Then laid it out and let it dry.
    It seems to work, kind of clumpy when it dries until it goes in the shaker, then it breaks up nicely and works fine.
    So, will I continue to do that, probably not, it's just alot of work just to save a few bucks, as crushed walnut shells is really pretty cheap.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Use stainless pins, they last virtually forever.

I tumbled these for 1 hour with primers, then deprimed for 1.5 hours with a 9mm casing full of lemishine and 5-6 drops dawn.
    1615070377883.jpeg 1615070590203.jpeg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    That looks GREAT indyblue. What's your reasoning behind tumbling with primers then without, vs. deprimed once?
    This may be something I pursue.
    To clean up the brass a little before I put them through the Decapping die. Grit and dirt are not good even for carbide dies.

The liquid I decanted from the first tumble was nasty.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Try cutting used dryer sheets into smaller squares - it helps remove dust and fine particles/dirt from the media while tumbling.
    Also using small amounts of mineral spirits and/or Nu-Finish (or name brand tumbling polish) seems to do well extending my media useful life.
    But I'm curious as to what others do as well.
    I also use dryer sheets and a polish. Used Flitz brand the first time around. Now I am using NuFinish. I tend to let the tumbler run a long time. Once I have enough rounds to tumble, I'll run it overnight.

As far as changing it, there are too many variables to put a rigid timeline on it. I have run media for years. Actually since I started reloading in 2012, I am on my second batch of media and the first batch came with the used tumbler I bought. But I load one caliber on a single stage so what I tumble in a year, I bet a lot of you folks tumble in a month. :)

Except I did try the lizard bedding that some say is so great. I tossed it. Way too dusty.

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    To clean up the brass a little before I put them through the Decapping die. Grit and dirt are not good even for carbide dies.

The liquid I decanted from the first tumble was nasty.
    I take out the primers with a hand deprimer while watching TV. Unit works well on 38o up to 44 mag.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    For reference, THIS I used worked well with a pound of media per drum. The FART comes from the factory with 5 pounds.
    Using something in between the 2, I'm thinking 2 to 3 pounds should work.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Except I did try the lizard bedding that some say is so great. I tossed it. Way too dusty.
    I never understood that. I swear people trip over dollars to pick up pennies in this hobby. Ive been doing this for probably 5 years now. Im on only my 3rd jug of Frankford treated media. I just dont get why they think they need to cheap out? Do they think they need to replace it after every tumble? I get its a quarter of the price, but they still need to add polish to the super dusty bedding. A LOT of polish comparitively speaking.

I just buy the treated stuff probably once every couple years and in between refresh it with more Turbo Brite polish periodically.

And +1 for the used dryer sheets. It REALLY helps.

And some say to avoid general metal polish because it contains Ammonia, which weakens brass. Not sure the merit to that, but Its not that expensive to use the purpose built stuff.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    people trip over dollars to pick up pennies
    Happens so often. Just like cleaning and lubes for firearms. Use what you want but if you are using motor oil because its $3.00 a quart and what I use is $13.00 a pint, so what? I am on my second bottle of lube since I started messing with firearms. That stuff is like the widow's jar; it never runs out!

Top Bottom