• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I wont knock the Stihl crowd here, they are great saws. I learned to cut wood with one, and it was a good saw.

What I will probably catch flak for here though, I run Pulan saws. I have a little 14" pulan that has been a champ for the 10 years that I have had it. Will start up second pull today if I pulled it out. I also have a 18" and 20" pulan, with them being the PRO variety. All of these have been stellar for me, and about 1/2-1/3 the cost of a stihl of comparable size.

I wouldnt recommend running one all day non stop, but for what I need, Pulan saws have been great, and less expensive than the other options. I kinda think of them as the Taurus of the chainsaw world.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Aejsl,

I have a Stihl and it is a great saw.

This last fall a friend needed some moderate cutting done in his back yard and was willing to pay for it so I got it done. The biggest thing I noticed is that no matter how good the saw is the BLADE needs to be sharp! I bought an extra blade and did three (3) sharpening before all was done.

The saw only carries you so far - it is the sharp blade that cuts the wood!;)

Regards,

Doug

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I use a saw everyday it's part of my job. Had the same 361 for 3yrs and like I said it gets used everyday for multiple hrs at a time. Go Stihl and you will not regret it.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    KDUB, you do not use a saw, you abuse them compared to what a homeowner can ever put them through.

One think to keep in mind with buying off brand saws is, Do you have a local dealer? It will break and that is where you will need to get parts for it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Spare bar, spare chain, safety equipment, ear pro, eye pro, real boots, and realistic pants. Wouldnt hurt a thing to keep some 1st aid supplies with your gear.

You already know how fast a sharp strong saw will rip green wood. It can do a nasty to flesh and bone just as fast.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Stihl farm boss here. So I say go stihl. I also have an echo cs-330 because I didn't want to pay the stihl price. Then do you and your family a big favor and get some good Kevlar chaps and the helmet with the mesh screen and hearing protection. Also be sure to wear your safety gear each and every time you use your saw! Even if you just going to cut 1 limb.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Have 5 stihls 1 husky, stihls seem better balanced, husky feels awkward, but cuts just as well. Like someone else said the faster the chain spins the less time you will spend cutting, will also use much less fuel.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Stihl or Husqvarna... My dad has been cutting wood for 30 years and swears by Stihl. He has recently came around to Husqvarna after using one my cousin bought, but if he had to choose... I'm sure he'd grab the Stihl in a heartbeat. I will probably end up getting a Husqvarna Rancher 455 due to a family friend getting me a discount. Will be building a house on 7 acres of woods and will need a reliable saw to clean things up.

HUSQVARNA 455 Rancher - Chainsaws

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Stihl or Husqvarna... My dad has been cutting wood for 30 years and swears by Stihl. He has recently came around to Husqvarna after using one my cousin bought, but if he had to choose... I'm sure he'd grab the Stihl in a heartbeat. I will probably end up getting a Husqvarna Rancher 455 due to a family friend getting me a discount. Will be building a house on 7 acres of woods and will need a reliable saw to clean things up.

HUSQVARNA 455 Rancher - Chainsaws

Since it seems that nobody has put them together, Pulan saws are made by Husqvarna. The PRO line is almost identical to the ranch hand series, the biggest difference I have found is Pulan Pro saws are typically a cc or 2 smaller than the comparable Husky with the same bar length. same design, same factories put them out. My dad recently bought a Husky the same bar length as my pulan pro 20", and side by side, the biggest differences are the color of the case, and the $100 price difference. Seems that the chains are a bit priceier too.

I understand that someone who runs a saw every day for hours on end needs a quality saw that will take the abuse, and have a service network that is easy to access. Those of us that only cut 15-20 ricks a year to keep the house warm dont need to spend $500+ on a chainsaw to get the job done.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I recommend Stihl. I bought one over 15 years ago and it still runs like new. I don't use a chainsaw as much as some of you but it does a great job if I keep the blade sharp and the sparkplug clean.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    get a older Husky 55.......use 3/8 lowpro chain.......great all around trim and firewood saw.....Husky's are easier to work on and get parts for than Stihl's......will make more HP with modds than Stihl's too....i have Husky's for 36cc to 94cc 14" to 36".......come down if you want to try one....

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I believe the greenfield COOP has ethanol free gasoline. Its supposed to be about 50 cents higher from what i am told. If thats the case being ethanol free it should last a few years with some stabil.... i plan on getting about 20 gallons of the stuff and premixing it for my 2 cycle equipment.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Spend more money and get a pro saw from husky or stihl and dont use gas with ethanol and it will be something you can pass on to your kids.

I am living proof of this. Got my dads 028OHV and it runs like a champ. Just had to get new oil and fuel line seals. Not bad for a saw old enough that it says "made in west Germany".

Oh oh and it ALWAYS starts on the first or second pull.

Top Bottom