• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Here is the rest of the story, so to speak. I just happened to be talking to a Stihl service technician today while picking up a new saw. I asked about the chain oiler adjustment. I don't know what CountryBoy19 is talking about with west coast saws or high flow oiler options, so I assume that is for someone like a logger. The tech told me that the newer Stihl saws can have the oiler set to max and you will not use all the oil on a full tank of gas. They pre-set the 362 I was picking up to max based on the bar size we would be using. He said that older Saws, specifically mentioned a Stihl 024 or 034, could run out of oil. We only use saws newer than that so it is not an issue for us. I guess if in doubt, ask your dealer.

Its ok just ask these "pros" that don't even own or use Stihl Pro saws which are the only one with adjustable oilers since they know more then those of us that own and use them everyday...

Again Still saws use a tank of gas and still have plenty of bar lube...

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Here is the rest of the story, so to speak. I just happened to be talking to a Stihl service technician today while picking up a new saw. I asked about the chain oiler adjustment. I don't know what CountryBoy19 is talking about with west coast saws or high flow oiler options, so I assume that is for someone like a logger. The tech told me that the newer Stihl saws can have the oiler set to max and you will not use all the oil on a full tank of gas. They pre-set the 362 I was picking up to max based on the bar size we would be using. He said that older Saws, specifically mentioned a Stihl 024 or 034, could run out of oil. We only use saws newer than that so it is not an issue for us. I guess if in doubt, ask your dealer.

First thing I did when I got my 362 home was tighten up all bolts and spark plug and removed the spark arrestor as it WILL plug some day and only restricts power.

You will love the saw, it is a absolute animal!

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Stihl hands down. I fought stihl for a long time. But my buddy made me look horrible one day while I was using my husq. Spent the big money on a stihl and I haven't looked back. There is a reason all the pros use stihl.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    if i open my 372xp oiler up all the way it can kill the oil tank and still have a 1/4 tank of fuel left......i only have a 20" bar on it and at 1/4 the way open it put plenty of oil out for a 20".....after a full tank of fuel there is still over a 1/4 tank of oil left.......even my 394 with a 36" bar oils just fine at just under half open and still plenty of oil left in the tank....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Probably get flamed for this but we have an old MacCat 16" for the small stuff. Runs like a rapped ape.
    We have 2 Poulons....(sp) both 50cc 20" bars and they haul the mail. All do just fine for us, well, so far anyway.....:)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't know what CountryBoy19 is talking about with west coast saws or high flow oiler options, so I assume that is for someone like a logger.
    "West Coast" is typically the name given to a full-wrap handle saw because of their popularity with west-coast loggers that are cutting the large, virgin timber and other softwoods out west. They aren't necessarily limited to use or sale on the west-coast though. A full-wrap saw can be bought here too, you just might have to special order it, and your dealer may look at you with crossed-eyes and have no idea what you're talking about.

Regarding the oiler on these saws. Because the popularity of the full-wrap handles mostly goes hand-in-hand with the people cutting large timber that requires a larger bar (larger bars need more oil) the oilers on the larger full-wraps are high-flow models. All new (2010 & newer) MS660 models now come with HO oilers standard so you don't have to worry about that. MS460 only come with HO oilers on the full-wrap model, and MS361 don't come with HO oilers on any models. You can order the high-flow oiler separately for any pro-saw. The high-flow oiler for the MS361/362/441/460 is the same (PN: 1128 640 3250). Hence you can see how it can easily empty the oil tanks, especially on the smaller saws if it's made to be the high-output oiler on the 460.

Also, if you are capable of doing detailed tear-down/repair work you can save some money by just ordering the piston & adjustment screw (1122 647 0602 & 1128 647 4802, respectively) for the HO pump and put those into the standard pump housing (for some oilers, not all). Or you can modify the oiler you have. Any and all of these can lead to conditions where you're emptying your oil tank before the gas tank so be careful.

Its ok just ask these "pros" that don't even own or use Stihl Pro saws which are the only one with adjustable oilers since they know more then those of us that own and use them everyday...

Again Still saws use a tank of gas and still have plenty of bar lube...

STOP giving bad advice... you clearly have no clue what you are talking about. Don't mistake the fact that I don't own a Stihl branded pro-saw for me not using or knowing anything about them. You have no idea; you really don't. Stihl saws don't always run out of gas before oil. It's a known, proven fact. If you talk to anybody that knows anything about pro-saws they know this, you clearly don't. It's less of a problem with newer models because environmental groups including govt agencies have pushed the manufacturers to cut back on oil rates but old saws, and new saws with HO oilers turned up can, will, and often do, empty the oil tank before the gas tank.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom