• ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

Immediate Action Combatives
    I'm planning to take a course with Cecil Burch on September 11th and 12 being hosted by a guy at my BJJ class in Terre Haute.

I have attended courses with Craig Douglas so I expect some cross over in material, but I'm not as familiar with IAC. I'm expecting some treatment on the entangled gun fight in a room full of people who train some grappling. There should also be a good Force on Force block to do some testing. So I'm hoping for a good experience.

Has anyone trained with Cecil and have any feedback on the course? Anyone else planning to attend?

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I can’t answer your question, but you’ve got me interested. Do you know location, cost, equipment, etc? I wanted to take a 3 day seminar in September but it’s in WI. Kinda looking for a plan B if I can’t swing that one.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The course is $350. September 11 and 12. I believe it will be at a Jiu Jitsu gym in Terre Haute then Riley Conservation Club for the range.

I don't have a specific equipment list, but your typical range gear, pistol, range PPE, 300-350 rounds for the live fire but may be dialed back due to cost and availability.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have trained with Cecil a couple of times and talk with him every so often. I would not hesitate to recommend a class he is teaching. Besides being a good instructor he is real good about individual attention and follow up. At least that has been my experience.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Close Contact Handgun

We can’t always use our defensive pistols in the optimum way we would like. Sometimes, we are able to shoot at extended range, but too often we need to shoot at closer distances; sometimes, even when in actual physical contact with an assailant. Most people do not realize how easy it is for a bad guy to get too close to you, and how easy it is for him to interfere with your use of a firearm. This critical skill set requires specific training to optimize our chance of success and survival, and this course helps to accomplish that.

In this class we will look at ways to maintain distance, using verbalization, footwork, positioning, and awareness to keep distance from an aggressive criminal, and to utilize the pistol in a manner in which we can prevent him from stopping us. The focus is on NOT getting entangled and having to get into a physical fight, but rather to use the pistol the way it is intended to be used – at a distance.

We will cover:

• Maintaining Spatial Relationship
    • Functional Footwork
    • Presenting the pistol through an appropriate line of extension and compression
    • Retention Shooting
    • Proper Verbalization
    • Recognizing when to go to the gun and when not to
    We will be working live fire on the range, as well as drilling concepts with blue guns. At the end we will pressure test our new skills in Force-on-force scenarios against resisting opponents with opposing will and freedom of action using UTM marking cartridges.

Students will need a suitable carry pistol, at least three spare magazines, a quality holster, and 350 rounds of ammo. If you have training guns and training knives, please feel free to bring them.

Top Bottom