• ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Howdy All,

I had a question regarding concealed carry at a workplace that prohibits its employees from carrying weapons while at work. I work at a restaurant in a fairly liberal town, and we aren't allowed to carry on our person. There isn't a LOT of crime here, but a couple grocery stores and gas stations in the area have been robbed at night and last night there was a very shady guy hanging out in our restaurant less than an hour before we closed. Nothing happened, but it set of the little alarm in my head.

Basically, I'm looking for advice and guidance about carrying concealed even though the rules tell me I can't. Does anybody else do this at work?

Should I ask my manager about it and press the issue when she tells me I'm not allowed? I feel like the chance of me getting a "pass" from the boss is so low that its smarter to carry without asking. That way, if my boss sees me carrying I can say that I assumed it was legal because its not prohibited in the employee handbook (stupid unwritten policies).

Just to be clear, I would never draw or "play hero" if someone came in just to rob the store of cash and run. I would only use my gun to defend myself if I felt my life was in imminent danger. There was a training video about after-dark security that showed video footage from another restaurant in Indiana where the robbers busted into the managers office, threw him on the ground and proceeded to kick the **** out of him.

And in the interest of making a long thread endless, I'll throw in some details if anybody would care to get into the technical "how to" of CC. I'm skinny and carry a SA XD-9 Subcompact. If I carried at this job I would use an IWB holster around the 1 o'clock position. This would conceal my pistol underneath a polo that is tucked into my pants and a loose-hanging apron that completely covers the front of my body. I rarely sit down while on the clock, so I'm not worried about my gun becoming a nuisance.

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    *IF* you're going to go ahead and carry, concealed means concealed.
    I wouldn't push it with your manager/boss/whoever. The less who know, the better.

Without going into the whole sordid story, years ago I was let go due to "declining performance" three days after getting a raise for a "stellar review and excellent performance"...curiously during the same time frame that I was being ratted out. Also during that same time frame, the company reprinted policy handbooks with only ONE three-sentence change; Firearms rules.

Last edited:

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    If there is nothing in the handbook then don't ask permission. It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. The I didn't know won't work if you ask first. Just an opinion. I would say definately carry.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Man! You guys are a lot braver than I am. Where I work it says in the book, "grounds for immediate termination". For me 30 years and a pension is an awfully high price to pay.

I suppose if I worked in an area ripe with crime, I'd have to way the likely loss of a job, pension, health care benefits, etc. vs getting mugged or robbed or whatever. I would also think that at some point a coworker will find out you're carrying. Being hat you are in Bloomington and in one of those types of restaurants, I'd say the odds of one of them being anti gun is very high.

JMO

Mr. Gadsden

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Field work in my industry is ripe with crime. I am lucky that we are actually encouraged to carry safely at work.

Relatively Ninja- It looks like you have put a lot of thought into how you are going to carry. I would echo JetGirl's sentiment and do it, just veeery quietly.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Nothing can physically stop you from CCing at work even when it's against company policy, but just be prepared to be terminated for it if anybody catches word or picks up on a print (most people probably wouldn't even notice a print for what it was, I think). I've been struggling with this and have thought about carrying in my computer bag (office worker) since nobody goes in there and there's less chance of discovery.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Personally, I carry everywhere it is legal. INCLUDING at my job where the POLICY forbids it. Nobody knows and I'm good to go.

I carry a P3AT in my pocket at work ( until I get home and switch to my G27)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you do carry, make sure that concealed really is concealed. Then, tell nobody about it. Even if your best buddy at work is a gun nut and confides to you that he carries at work, say nothing about whether or not you carry. Also remember that any form of concealment can be compromised through accident or sickness.

Good luck,

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You'll have to weigh the options here. The worst that can happen is that you lose your job. Is that something you'd be ok with if you're caught? Do you feel that you're able to conceal well enough not to be noticed (do you have the right firearm and holster combo to do just that)?

If you believe you can conceal, and this isn the greatest job...then I would hove zero hesitation doing so. If it is a high paying once in a lifetime type job where your future pension etc would be jeopardized then I would have to think hard about it. You would lose this place as a reference if you were to be fired...so that needs to be factored into your decision as well.

Not to judge, but you say that you work in a restaurant and have a boss...sounds like a job you could get anywhere else (i may be way off here though).

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    you say that you work in a restaurant and have a boss...sounds like a job you could get anywhere else (i may be way off here though).

You're exactly right. Its just a part time job to help make ends meet while I'm in college. Jobs are a little scarce, but I doubt I would have very much of a problem finding a similar job on short notice.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you do carry, make sure that concealed really is concealed. Then, tell nobody about it. Even if your best buddy at work is a gun nut and confides to you that he carries at work, say nothing about whether or not you carry. Also remember that any form of concealment can be compromised through accident or sickness.

Good luck,

Agreed 100%. Loose lips sink ships. There is NO upside to telling anyone or asking for permission....NONE WHATSOEVER. Don't do it.

Exactly ^.
    That's what bit me in the butt. A co-worker took the NRA classes with me.
    [STRIKE]She heard too much.[/STRIKE] I talked too much.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Keep it hidden, Tell no one, Protect you and yours only.
    If the libs who support keeping you helpless are being victimized dont break concealment!

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    P3AT or LCP in the front pocket...with a holster.

I wouldn't tell ANYONE. Not like you would or anything, since we all know that only OC'ers are the ones craving attention. ;)

Top Bottom