Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Wow. I am curious as to the cause of death. Is there any speculation thus far, or is everyone staying tight lipped about it?

6 feet of water doesnt seem like it would be enough for an accidental drowning, unless he were to fall and go unconcious from the fall.

It sounds like foul play may have been involved. Maybe his camera on the tripod will show something?

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    43f-ish water temp, 45f-ish air temp. Winds at 13mph, gusting to 20. That's not a pleasant immersion, and cold enough of a water temp initiate a gasp reflex. 6 feet is deep enough that you wouldn't touch bottom, and in a stricken state one generally won't drive down to find out if it's another 6 inches or 6 feet.

No word about safety gear, with conditions that were approaching dry suit territory. I fear that this will be a simple case of the environment being stronger than the preparations. No real consolation, but skipping the obvious to go straight to murder is a disservice to the investigation.

Vehicle unlocked with keys inside is common practice in water sports.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    43f-ish water temp, 45f-ish air temp. Winds at 13mph, gusting to 20. That's not a pleasant immersion, and cold enough of a water temp initiate a gasp reflex. 6 feet is deep enough that you wouldn't touch bottom, and in a stricken state one generally won't drive down to find out if it's another 6 inches or 6 feet.

No word about safety gear, with conditions that were approaching dry suit territory. I fear that this will be a simple case of the environment being stronger than the preparations. No real consolation, but skipping the obvious to go straight to murder is a disservice to the investigation.

Vehicle unlocked with keys inside is common practice in water sports.

Theory is he had his waders on...kayak got away from him and he went to try and grab it...went over his waders and they pulled him down....here's a pic in his waders...he was an amazing photographer...they have been posting some of his wildlife shots and they were Nat Geo level good....I mean an amazing eye...

1710775122945.png

1710775085773.png

1710775046236.png

1710774802411.png

1710774674312.png

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    I wonder if he had some sort of medical episode which caused him to lose consciousness while he was in the water?

No matter what the cause was, its tragic and I hope his family can eventually find peace and comfort after their loss. And I am proud of my fellow Hoosiers who turned out in force to help search for him.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wonder if he had some sort of medical episode which caused him to lose consciousness while he was in the water?

No matter what the cause was, its tragic and I hope his family can eventually find peace and comfort after their loss. And I am proud of my fellow Hoosiers who turned out in force to help search for him.
    The news has been saying "cold water drowning" was the cause of death, with no other signs of trauma. I've not heard any mention of other medical conditions.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The news has been saying "cold water drowning" was the cause of death, with no other signs of trauma. I've not heard any mention of other medical conditions.
    As someone who has gone for an involuntary swim in similarly cold water, it doesn't take long for the cold to sap you of your strength and stamina. It happens surprisingly quick. Without a PFD and help close at hand, it is very easy for someone to drown in cold water.

Top Bottom