• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Ohio recently sent a bill to their Governor that opens up more reciprocity. Does anyone think they will start honoring an Indiana permit?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    In Indiana, a veto is an active process; that is, the governor has to choose to do it, as opposed to what's called a "pocket veto". Is Ohio's process similar, or if Kasich does not sign in 10 days, this dies?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    In Indiana, a veto is an active process; that is, the governor has to choose to do it, as opposed to what's called a "pocket veto". Is Ohio's process similar, or if Kasich does not sign in 10 days, this dies?

Same process in Ohio:

The Governor has 10 days to sign or veto a bill. If signed, the bill becomes law. If vetoed, the bill is sent back to the General Assembly. At this point the bill can only become law if at least three-fifths of the legislators vote to override the Governor's veto. A bill can also become law if the Governor fails to take any action on it within 10 days.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    There's language in the at bill that sasy the other state's licensing reqouirements have to be "substantially similar" ot Ohio's. Would that eliminate Indiana?

I don't know Ohio's requirements but if there is some sort of trainingg, then maybe they won;t grant reciprocity to Indiana?

Maybe I missed it, but I only see that language with regard to reciprocity agreements. Section 1 (B) 3 says that if you're temporarily in the state, and have any valid license from another state, it will be recognized.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    There's language in the at bill that sasy the other state's licensing reqouirements have to be "substantially similar" ot Ohio's. Would that eliminate Indiana?

I don't know Ohio's requirements but if there is some sort of trainingg, then maybe they won;t grant reciprocity to Indiana?

There are two separate clauses:
    (A)(1) The attorney general shall negotiate and enter into a reciprocity agreement with any other license-issuing state under which a concealed handgun license that is issued by the other state is recognized in this state, except as provided in division (B) of this section, if the attorney general determines that both of the following apply:
    You were reading from division (A):
    (a) The eligibility requirements imposed by that license-issuing state for that license are substantially comparable to the eligibility requirements for a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.
    (b) That license-issuing state recognizes a concealed handgun license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.​

But division (B) includes the following, for non-residents:
    (3) If, on or after the effective date of this amendment, a person who is not a resident of this state has a valid concealed handgun license that was issued by another license-issuing state, regardless of whether the other license-issuing state has entered into a reciprocity agreement with the attorney general under division (A)(1) of this section, and the person is temporarily in this state, during the time that the person is temporarily in this state the license issued by the other license-issuing state shall be recognized in this state, shall be accepted and valid in this state, and grants the person the same right to carry a concealed handgun in this state as a person who was issued a concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code.

There are also provisions for non-temporary non-residents who are employed in the state to obtain an Ohio-issued CCW.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Whoever wrote the legislation is guilty of torture. Could it be worded any more obtusely?

And does it matter that Indiana's LTCH does not reference concealed carry?

My Utah is up for renewal in 2015 - not planning to let it lapse just yet.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    We have been down this road for the last 2 years, with something happening at the last minute to kill that part of the bill. I'll believe it when I see it.....

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    There are two separate clauses:

You were reading from division (A):

But division (B) includes the following, for non-residents:

There are also provisions for non-temporary non-residents who are employed in the state to obtain an Ohio-issued CCW.

I see that now, had not read it closely yesterday morning. But I am still somewhat concerned. What is the point of reciprocity with teh "division (B)" language? Aren't a high % of the people to whom reciprocity would apply only going to be in Ohio only "temproarily"? Hate to see things left open to LE and judicial interpretation...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I see that now, had not read it closely yesterday morning. But I am still somewhat concerned. What is the point of reciprocity with teh "division (B)" language? Aren't a high % of the people to whom reciprocity would apply only going to be in Ohio only "temproarily"? Hate to see things left open to LE and judicial interpretation...

The part in (A) is what is there now, and remains in effect - though, it does seem to be made mostly moot by (B). I don't know if that's by design or an unintended consequence.

I assume that "temporary" is defined by residence; but I'm not really certain. If you're a non-resident working in Ohio, the revised statute provides a means to obtain a non-resident Ohio CCW. So, I think all of the bases are covered, for the most part.

bear-girl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    The governor signed the bill on Friday, Dec. 19! I believe Ohio law says that bills become law 90 days after being signed by the governor.

Top Bottom