• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    G.I.M.P.S. is nothing compared to T.H.P.D.. A veteran city officer laughingly told me he wouldn't display this acronym emblazoned across a garment because he wasn't THUPID. :D

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    This guy is creating a circus for the purpose of further his agenda. There is a huge difference between intentionally being a dick and protecting your own rights. Maybe I am missing details, but the guy on the phone seems to be a real tool.

Edit: I finished watching the video and it became apparent that "Dave" didn't start the circus, he just joined in on the main event. I am divided, as I see both sides of the issue. Suffice it to say that I don't think he "won" or that anybody was "owned". YMMV

You have "Don't Tread On Me" as an avatar, and you dislike him exercising his rights?

I still find it stunning that so many cops are so blatantly ignorant on this score.

So if the cops surprise someone open carrying and they make a protective move to cover their gun, the cops can shoot without penalty, right?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    You have "Don't Tread On Me" as an avatar, and you dislike him exercising his rights?

I believe we have a misunderstanding sir. I take no exception to him exercising his rights. It seems to me that he was more belligerent than the situation required. Also, his buddy on the sidewalk was a bit antagonistic. If it had been my friend I would have served him a big bowl of STFU. No sense having someone else pushing the envelope, potentially making the situation worse. **** off one of the LEO and you could have a bad afternoon. Don't start with the "we'll then we'd sue the pants off them" **** because that doesnt undo the bruising or taser marks. Just because its illegal doesnt mean it couldn't happen.

I am not advocating pacifism, and you certainly wont find me in the "well just cover it up" camp. He was more or less respectful during the encounter, and I give him credit for that. Something about the thing just came across as.... well I cant find the right adjective. Maybe its the whole cell phone and camera thing.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    A few things that validate this approach:

One, it educates the cops involved. And if the victims of police ignorance file complaints, maybe the police forces will educate their officers en masse. Perhaps a vain hope, but a valid one I think. And if the cops involved see determination and a refusal to be intimidated by their tactics, maybe they'll change their approach.

Two, the 411Porc is a VERY good idea in the face of an increasingly militaristic and combative attitude on the part of police towards the citizenry. Public demonstrations of positive rights should be made. How much good is done by this video? I think much more good than bad.

The guy carrying wasn't belligerent in my view. If the cop doesn't have the right to ask the questions, he has the right to not answer them. I doubt I could be as restrained in my responses.

The style may annoy, but I think this is important work.

What I want to know is what are the public's rights in recording the official activities of police officers in Indiana? I know there are some states where it is definitely against the law. And that's just crap.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Something about the thing just came across as.... well I cant find the right adjective. Maybe its the whole cell phone and camera thing.

I think the cell phone and camera were there "for his protection, as well as the police's". Might have helped him "go home at the end of the day"
    instead of jail or the hospital. :@ya:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My cell phone was on the same side as my back up gun. Reaching for my cell phone would have been very stupid.

(I cannot understand why he was so concerned over my 1911 but said nothing about my Kahr P9. Perhaps he did not see it).

Whipping out my cell phone would have gotten me an ASP-size dent in my skull. He was that angry.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    What is the point of adding these videos to the discussion here regarding Kirks encounter in Broad Ripple?

From post above
    "What I want to know is what are the public's rights in recording the official activities of police officers in Indiana? I know there are some states where it is definitely against the law. And that's just crap."

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IANAL, TINLA

As far as I know, "on a public street or in a public place, there is no expectation of privacy", and while this is usually applied to the citizen who complains about being on camera and it being used as evidence against them, I think it's important to remember that police are people also and thus, they are also citizens, therefore they have no more right to privacy nor power to prevent recording in public places than does anyone else.

I do not have a legal citation nor any case law to support this statement, I'm speaking solely on the basis of common sense, and yes, I know that the law and common sense rarely have any commonality.

Blessings,
    B

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Thanks for this story, I actually laughed out loud reading it -- EPIC!

I've never open-carried, but this may be my inspiration to do so. But maybe I'll start in Hamilton, rather than Marion County. :)

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    My cell phone was on the same side as my back up gun. Reaching for my cell phone would have been very stupid.

(I cannot understand why he was so concerned over my 1911 but said nothing about my Kahr P9. Perhaps he did not see it).

Whipping out my cell phone would have gotten me an ASP-size dent in my skull. He was that angry.

Dude! I sure as heck wasn't suggesting YOU do it!

Trust me, I'm not giving any cops a reason to be jumpy. I like breathing. And I haven't found my nymphomaniac wife yet!

I was just saying, were I a witness then I would probably video it for the person being accosted. And maybe even IF it has a legal penalty. If nothing happened worth mentioning, I would delete it. If something DID happen, I would go to a public library and put it out viral-style on the net then call channel 6 on a pay phone.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And I haven't found my nymphomaniac wife yet!

Have you checked behind the couch?

I've heard stories about Hamilton County being jumpy about O.C. (especially Westfield and Carmel). I've never had any encounters, but I know a few Noblesville cops and they don't have a problem with it. Hardly a representative sampling, I know, but there it is.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I'd guess Carmel would be a bad idea, even if they don't have an ordinance against it. Especially not in the "Arts & Design" district...

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    "9.08.020 Concealed unlawful.
    It is unlawful for any individual to carry a concealed firearm within the town limits. (Ord. 358 § 2, 1966)."

Speedway law makes no sense. I carry concealed, no one ever knows. Why ask for problems? And just HOW do you "Unconceal" an IWB or an ankle holster? Although I did check my Lifetime Carry Permit and is gives me the right to "carry", not specifically to "conceal carry". Interesting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Speedway law makes no sense. I carry concealed, no one ever knows. Why ask for problems?

The Speedway ordinance is understandable--don't carry a handgun concealed. By carrying concealed in Speedway you are in violation of the law and asking for trouble.:D

And just HOW do you "Unconceal" an IWB or an ankle holster?

IWB--take your jacket off
    Ankle--hitch up your pants like "high water" pants.

55spartan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Southern IN
    that cop is a hazard to the public, partners, and himself. if his demeanor and movements were as you said, how would he behave in a REAL situation.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Speedway law makes no sense. I carry concealed, no one ever knows. Why ask for problems? And just HOW do you "Unconceal" an IWB or an ankle holster? Although I did check my Lifetime Carry Permit and is gives me the right to "carry", not specifically to "conceal carry". Interesting.

This two-year-old thread resurrection brought to you by Carl Duke. :ugh:

Top Bottom