• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Being a former banker... The reasoning is, anyone bringing a firearm into the bank is a potential bank robber... the bank needs to post the appropriate signage.
    No, the bank should be posting NO signage. And FYI, 'potential bank robbers' is exactly WHY I carry in the bank. A bank (or ANY business) has the 'right' to ask me to be a customer. Fair enough. They do NOT have the right to ask me to be a victim. Nor will they get my 'permission' for that. I dunno, maybe 'former banker' is apropos?

As an added thought, how do you guys feel about the bank not allowing employees to be armed?
    I feel the same way as I do about ANYONE carrying a firearm. As long as they're trained and qualified, I don't personally care if everyone in the place is wearing a firearm. That's true whether in a bank, in the mall, or on the street. Sadly, MANY gun-toters do not subscribe to this most basic premise.

What does common sense have to do with OCing in a bank?
    Apparently, nothing. :lmfao:

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    The reasoning is, anyone bringing a firearm into the bank is a potential bank robber.

This is EXACTLY why you shouldn't follow a cop into a bank. As potential bank robber (apparently), can you imagine the tension and fear the police inspire inside the bank? You also don't want to get in the cops way as he tries to get away with bags full of cash!

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    No, the bank should be posting NO signage. And FYI, 'potential bank robbers' is exactly WHY I carry in the bank. A bank (or ANY business) has the 'right' to ask me to be a customer. Fair enough. They do NOT have the right to ask me to be a victim. Nor will they get my 'permission' for that. I dunno, maybe 'former banker' is apropos?

I feel the same way as I do about ANYONE carrying a firearm. As long as they're trained and qualified, I don't personally care if everyone in the place is wearing a firearm. That's true whether in a bank, in the mall, or on the street. Sadly, MANY gun-toters do not subscribe to this most basic premise.

Apparently, nothing. :lmfao:

Maybe most don't want to subscribe to your standard of qualified.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    ... As an added thought, how do you guys feel about the bank not allowing employees to be armed? I have mixed feelings, but I'm trained. I certainly wouldn't want a jackass co-worker escalating a confrontation.

As I posted earlier - I have seen an article of a bank that armed all the tellers (ladies at the time) ... it was quite extraordinary ... especially considering it was in the 1940's ... and in NEW YORK STATE. ... I can't find the article, but I know its a true story. I cross checked it when I saw it. ...

oh .. and I'd fully support it. ... especially if there rates and fees were reasonable and there were sufficient branches around Marion and surrounding counties.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ...The reasoning is, anyone bringing a firearm into the bank is a potential bank robber.

Being that you're a man - that also make you a potential rapist.

You'd better not go any where - ever - lest you act on the potential.

-J-

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Last edited:

code_red

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    East Side Indy
    Mike, the security guard you spoke to, is a personal friend of mine. He plays bass in my band. He told me about a guy open carrying in the bank and what he had said. I said "oh man, I bet there's a thread in INGO." I told them that there isn't any law stating that you can't carry in a bank and showed him online the list of places you can't legally carry...post office, airports, etc... He said it was what his superiors had told him and he's glad he knows now. From now on he's going to tell people it's bank policy, which it is according to him. His superiors had asked him to talk to anyone that is obviously carrying in the bank. He, personally, has no problem with people carrying in the bank, but is required to say something.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Being a former banker, banks do post no firearm signs and ask that customers do not carry guns into the bank. These signs are usually posted on the doors leading into the lobby. The reasoning is, anyone bringing a firearm into the bank is a potential bank robber. The last bank that I worked at had such signs that also told customers to remove sunglasses and sweatshirt hoods when entering the lobby. The pretense is to help the bank's staff identify its customers. The real reason is to help the bank's staff identify suspicious people. Each bank decides what its firearm policy is. Most do not allow carry of any sort. Perhaps you missed the posted sign, or if not, the bank needs to post the appropriate signage.

Nothing against you as what you said is probably on the mark of what the bank(s) you worked at believe. However, if a bank is on the lookout for potential bank robbers they should not narrow that search down to people with guns. In fact, anyone who walks into a bank with a gun on their hip (OC) probably has a 1 in a trillion chance of being a bank robber. Here's a challenge: Find a single story online of a bank robber who came in with the gun he used OC on his hip. The gun is pretty much, if not always, either hidden or already drawn when they enter.

The no sunglasses or hats thing is kind of silly as well. If they have no regard for the law they will have no regard for your "silly" rules either.

If I was a teller at a bank I would personally pray to God everyday that all my customers will be packing.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Maybe most don't want to subscribe to your standard of qualified.
    And yet, nowhere in that comment did I once claim it's 'my' standard.

But IMO, there should be one, whosever it 'is'. A quick trip to virtually any range with a quick perusal noting bullet holes in the ceilings, floors, walls, through the partitions/dividers clearly indicates such a need, LOL! :D

It would be nice IF everyone who carries trains, and trains constantly and consistently to be at their highest level of proficiency to hit only the intended target. It should be a personal commitment. But it isn't, and we all know that.

But, I don't have any concern about meeting whatever "standard of qualified" might be proffered. ;)

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

But IMO, there should be one, whosever it 'is'. A quick trip to virtually any range with a quick perusal noting bullet holes in the ceilings, floors, walls, through the partitions/dividers clearly indicates such a need, LOL! :D

Just so we are clear, you want mandatory training and qualifications for people to use their inalienable rights? Since you don't care whose standard it is, then you will have no problem with the government telling you to hit a 2" plate at 2000 yards with your carry gun right?

It would be nice IF everyone who carries trains, and trains constantly and consistently to be at their highest level of proficiency to hit only the intended target. It should be a personal commitment. But it isn't, and we all know that.

It would be nice if everyone trained, but they don't. You can't and shouldn't tell people they HAVE to train or qualify because you think it is right. When I say you, I mean you and everyone else who thinks this way.

But, I don't have any concern about meeting whatever "standard of qualified" might be proffered. ;)

Again, see above. A standard of qualification can be set to where nobody can meet said standard, no matter how good you think you are.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

There are people that have been to training, yet aren't safe
    And there are plenty who haven't been to training, and yet shoot safely, and have used a gun in defense.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    Being a former banker, banks do post no firearm signs and ask that customers do not carry guns into the bank. These signs are usually posted on the doors leading into the lobby. The reasoning is, anyone bringing a firearm into the bank is a potential bank robber. The last bank that I worked at had such signs that also told customers to remove sunglasses and sweatshirt hoods when entering the lobby. The pretense is to help the bank's staff identify its customers. The real reason is to help the bank's staff identify suspicious people. Each bank decides what its firearm policy is. Most do not allow carry of any sort. Perhaps you missed the posted sign, or if not, the bank needs to post the appropriate signage.

I went into my bank today with a half eaten pop tart. All hell broke loose. I guess they thought I was there to rob it..:runaway:

View attachment 28017

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Mike, the security guard you spoke to, is a personal friend of mine. He plays bass in my band. He told me about a guy open carrying in the bank and what he had said. I said "oh man, I bet there's a thread in INGO." I told them that there isn't any law stating that you can't carry in a bank and showed him online the list of places you can't legally carry...post office, airports, etc... He said it was what his superiors had told him and he's glad he knows now. From now on he's going to tell people it's bank policy, which it is according to him. His superiors had asked him to talk to anyone that is obviously carrying in the bank. He, personally, has no problem with people carrying in the bank, but is required to say something.

Code_red, I'm assuming you are talking to me here? If so, thanks so much for what you did (letting me know and also showing him the applicable laws)! Mike was fantastic to talk to--glad to know he personally affirms this right.

I sincerely hope, however, that this is not Regions' policy as we have sincerely enjoyed their services but will move elsewhere if they will not allow carrying inside. I'll be finding out in a couple of days. Updates to follow.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just so we are clear, you want mandatory training and qualifications for people to use their inalienable rights? Since you don't care whose standard it is, then you will have no problem with the government telling you to hit a 2" plate at 2000 yards with your carry gun right?

It would be nice if everyone trained, but they don't. You can't and shouldn't tell people they HAVE to train or qualify because you think it is right. When I say you, I mean you and everyone else who thinks this way.
    Hey now Steve, MG just wants some "common sense" gun laws in place.

Looking at his background, I'd say he's been subjected to routine proficiency test as part of his jobs and thinks it's only right if the rest of us has to do it. But, I say nay-nay.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    UPDATE:

My plans took me to Willowbrook Regions once again today. I brought the printout from the IMPD website of the applicable Indiana code along with me in hopes of meeting my security guard friend again. Sure enough, he was there and remembered me. He mentioned talking with Code_red and finding out that there is no law against carrying in a bank. Like red said, his supervisor had told him it was law and he was unimpressed that his superior did not know and had given him incorrect information. We had a great conversation yet again, but his understanding is that this is Regions corporate policy. If that is the case, it is a disappointment as I was sincerely hoping their business model would be more pro 2A and it is likely to effect me taking my own business elsewhere.

On the positive side, I've had a great interaction with our security guard throughout and we've all learned more about the law. Next step is to speak to my branch manager to find out if this is his/her policy or if it goes to a corporate level.

Thank you all for your support, information, and interest!

Top Bottom