Carry shotgun or handgun on my property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

Rifles (including shotguns) do not require a license. Indiana law makes no distinction regarding open vs concealed. IANAL, but I'd say you're good to go.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Looks like you should just carry both. I have a nice Coach Gun in 12 gage with a leather sling that would work nice. Oh yeah, double barreled shotgun and a 45 on the side. Neighbors will know you are serious about protecting your 1/2 acre of the world.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    lol, thanks for the info. Protecting my bit of world yup ;) I got thinking of the scenario where you see someone suspicious walking through the woods, and I go out there to tell them to not tresspass. I didnt want the neighbors or even the tresspasser to make some legal claim against the gun.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I live in the country just outside of a small town and have a 24 acre farm. To me this is a decent size property, to others it is a small field.

Regardless the size of the parcel of land you own, it is yours and yours to protect. Remember you may carry on your property but most municipalities have an ordinance against discharging your firearms within their city limits.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I live in city limits on about .5 acres, wooded backyard. Can I openly carry (sholder sling) my gun on my yard? Or will I need a CCL for this as well?

Legal, yeah, as long guns require no license.

But why don't you have a license to carry handgun? Everyone should have one even if they don't carry.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Concealed Clinger License

2z4gwoi.jpg

Approves

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    just havent gotten around to it, as I havent had a firearm until recently. not100% i want to carry either

I would recommend getting a lot of practice in. If you're going to carry, you want to have practiced a lot so that if you need to you'll be able to perform well.

That said, you're 100% legal to carry either a long gun or handgun on your property, and 9 out of 10 times simply seeing the weapon will defuse the situation -- so :yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It is a good idea to go ahead and get it, even if you just want to be legal carrying the pistol to the range to shoot it.

Agreed. The Lifetime Personal Protection Permit is extremely cheap insurance @ $125 for the rest of your life.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Agreed. The Lifetime Personal Protection Permit is extremely cheap insurance @ $125 for the rest of your life.

Or until such time as the Obamanator gets his "national no carry" legislation passed. (And here's hoping that that's "never.")

Top Bottom