• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I carry a brace of S&W N-frame wheelguns.

You are my hero. My 4 inch Model 28 drags my britches to the ground.:D

Seriously. This is 2012. Revolver all the way. In 2020 I will EDC a revolver.

For range, fun, zombies and EOTWAWKI....1911's or...God this is hard to say..Here goes...A Glock..There I said it...But only if I can epoxy some stag grips on it....:D

BillyB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    I carry a Model 36 J frame or a Glock 19 depending on where I am going and what I am wearing. The J frame is the easier of the two to conceal and lots more comfortable to wear while driving. The Glock and it's capacity is comforting when I travel to a "target rich" environment.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    You are my hero. My 4 inch Model 28 drags my britches to the ground.:D

Seriously. This is 2012. Revolver all the way. In 2020 I will EDC a revolver.

For range, fun, zombies and EOTWAWKI....1911's or...God this is hard to say..Here goes...A Glock..There I said it...But only if I can epoxy some stag grips on it....:D

Whoa! A Model 28...The "Highway Patrolman."

That brings back memories...I entered law enforcement during the wheelgun age. I served one year with a 12 man township department while laid off from Cincinnati in a phony budget crisis. We were allowed to carry ANY handgun that we could qualify on. I carried my 6" Colt Python for awhile, just long enough to find a S&W 6" Model 19 .357, since I didn't want to get holster wear on the Colt. It was a tough choice. I coveted N frames in those days, as I do now, but I was a skinny kid back then and knew a K frame was a wiser choice.

I still remember brother officers on my PD and with the local sheriff's department carrying those evil looking Model 28's.

A no-frills version of the much prettier Model 27... a MAN'S gun!

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Plenty of 40sw revolvers around and well 5.7 been around for 15 years and no revolver for it. Guess fn doest want to make one, and no one else wants to pay to be able to.

So what's your point? One of the best SD rounds out there is the .357 mag, but revolvers have too many limitations for me. I like the capacity and easy magazine change abilities of a semi-auto.

Do you think there should be a revolver for the 5.7? In God's name, why? :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    So what's your point? One of the best SD rounds out there is the .357 mag, but revolvers have too many limitations for me. I like the capacity and easy magazine change abilities of a semi-auto.

Do you think there should be a revolver for the 5.7? In God's name, why? :dunno:

Why not? People would buy it. 5.7 has some killer energy it would be awesome out of a revolver. I have no problem with you carring a auto. I carry a Kahr CW45 along with revolvers. There's a time and situation for both in my book.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I carry both depends on what I am wearing. I have a 637 smith it was at the right price but I prefer a all steel vs air weight. Otherwise I do like my semi's but the reliability of a revolver is nice for self defense situation.

MasterAtArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Whatever it be make sure youll actually carry it. In my experience, I always left anything bigger than my PF9 in the car out of discomfort. My pf9 and airweight got carried all the time. Either can work for you

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I always carry a revolver. 1) it never jams, fails to feed or fails to eject 2) pull the trigger, it fires. You should not need to re-load, if you cant kill your attacker in 5-6 rounds, then you are doomed anyway. And besides how many people have you heard of lately that has been in a gun fight? Hammerless revolver, wont snag coming out of your pocket. :) Enjoy.

coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    I will carry both depends on weather and clothing choices, for those that prefer a semi-auto for faster reloads, you haven't seen an experienced revolver shooter with speed loaders in action.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I personally carry a very compact semi-auto. It's been a great carry piece for a long time (15 years). I love that it goes in a pocket, pouch or just about anywhere and doesn't get in the way. Occasionally I carry a larger 9mm semi auto because I am most comfortable and most accurate with it than anything else I own.

That being said, I've really been thinking about picking up a revolver and have really been looking at .327. My main interested in a small revolver is carrying one chamber empty (under the hammer). As many might reply, safeties are very reliable these days and if you perform proper maintenance on your firearm, you have nothing to fear. For me it's just mental... though both my usual carry pieces are condition 1 anyhow...

However, the .327 round had really captured my interest but I haven't shot one yet. It could just be curiosity right now.

As others have said, find what's comfortable and go with that. I find comfort and familiarity are your number one concerns. There are enough small profile pistols to cover about any desire.

Just don't get a derringer... which I don't think you are, but just saying.

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I say carry what you feel comfortable carrying. If you do not mind either then I would say it would be based upon clothing one is wearing.

I prefer auto load because they typically fit my hand better. Not a fan of revolver grips with my big hands. I have only shot 5-6 so I am no expert....

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Sounds like you need a 357sig.

If you don't believe it's everything a 357 magnum is (at least at 125gr) then you may want to take a look at some ballistic testing.

I always carry a revolver. 1) it never jams, fails to feed or fails to eject 2) pull the trigger, it fires. You should not need to re-load, if you cant kill your attacker in 5-6 rounds, then you are doomed anyway. And besides how many people have you heard of lately that has been in a gun fight? Hammerless revolver, wont snag coming out of your pocket. :) Enjoy.

1.) Primer set-back, FTCU, failure of any of the various small springs, screws, and complex parts
    2.) Weak hammer spring, strain screw backing out
    3.) BS, anyone who says you "only need" x number of rounds has never needed even 1 round before.

I have a 686 SSR, Kimber stainless II, and glock 23 that all are in my regular carry rotation.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County

^^^^This^^^^

:+1:

My EDC = Ruger LCR .357 Magnum with Winchester PDX1 Defender

Last edited:
    Top Bottom