• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    I've been fairly impressed with the Canik handguns I've handled and shot so decided to go full out and picked up the TP9 SFX signature series (9mm) from my LGS today. Out of the box this thing is alot at the $730 price point. Other models are significantly cheaper in the Canik line. Comes with 4 optic plates to fit whichever you have, lots of "bolt-on" bits like the extended slide lever, flared magwell, and extended mag release. It comes with Warren sights which were adequate, little tool pack with extra sight fibers and screws, 2 palm swell options, holster and 2 mags (1 has a +3 extension). There is only 7500 of these signature series produced and each are individually numbered on the slide.

Now the good stuff:
    I got home just before dusk but was able to run 200rds through it of varying grain and brand with zero issues.
    This is the best factory trigger I've ever felt, hands down, no debate.
    I'm no race shooter but the TP9 SFX makes me want to consider it. Now granted this is a 9mm but it shot with such a breeze I was running through mags effortlessly. I true pleasure to shoot. After dark I put a Vortex Venom on it and will hopefully get that sighted in the next few days.

My 1 complaint.... it's not "white white", it's kinda like a grey wash eggshell or something like that. Honestly not even a complaint I just wouldnt have called the gun "whiteout" and problem solved.

I know the poly handgun world is pretty saturated but I urge you all to at least handle a Canik and see for yourself.

Attachments

• 20220201_200747.jpg
      20220201_200747.jpg
      469.1 KB · Views: 33

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The wife saw one of those the other day and if we didn't already have a TP9SFX in titanium grey it would have come home with us. We have shot the Canik a few times now and had no complaints. They come with some customization extras that are really nice to have out of the box. I agree the triggers are fantastic on these guns. Well worth at least considering.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Is it like these with the extras in a box?

MHg0NDQucG5n

LmpwZw

rough-n-tumble

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Albany
    I shot my buddies TP9 and it took about a week for me to have my own Canik.
    Picked up the Elite Combat.
    And that thing shoots like a dream.
    Awesome trigger and overall handling.
    I might not be long before I have another.

SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    Caniks are flat-out awesome firearms. IMHO, they have the best out of the box triggers out there. On top of that, you can't beat the value you get with a Canik. The old adage 'if you know, you know' definitely applies here.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The Turks make a decent pistol, but they ripped off the Walther PPQ/PDP. Given I don't particularly like Turkey as a country I prefer to give my cash to the Germans. It's more expensive but I feel like I get a better pistol.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It's actually the Walther P99 they built off of and just took it places Walther didn't.

PDP didn't come out until 2021 is what I read.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It's actually the Walther P99 they built off of and just took it places Walther didn't.

PDP didn't come out until 2021 is what I read.

Correct the P99 came out in 1997, then the PPQ in 2011 and finally the PDP in 2021 if Walther was Glock I am sure the PDP would be the "Gen 3" P99. A few of the trigger parts canik uses are even directly interchangable with Walther's too. The canik line was released in 2011 according to google.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Correct the P99 came out in 1997, then the PPQ in 2011 and finally the PDP in 2021 if Walther was Glock I am sure the PDP would be the "Gen 3" P99. A few of the trigger parts canik uses are even directly interchangable with Walther's too. The canik line was released in 2011 according to google.
    I read S&W made or prototype what they called SW99 which was a 45acp P99 basically. Magnum Research also made a P99 like pistol as well.

What did Walther do sell rights to build their P99? How does Canik make the TP firearms without violating copyright laws?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I read S&W made or prototype what they called SW99 which was a 45acp P99 basically. Magnum Research also made a P99 like pistol as well.

What did Walther do sell rights to build their P99? How does Canik make the TP firearms without violating copyright laws?

Because it's Turkey it's an unlicenced copy unlike the Magnum Research and S&W offerings. My guess is they changed the design just enough to get around the patent (assuming the 20 year patent rule applies in Europe).

Hell even the slides and frames are interchangeable , I think this thread made me dislike Canik even more lol.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Because it's Turkey it's an unlicenced copy unlike the Magnum Research and S&W offerings. My guess is they changed the design just enough to get around the patent (assuming the 20 year patent rule applies in Europe).

Hell even the slides and frames are interchangeable , I think this thread made me dislike Canik even more lol.

The new SFx Rival and METE look pretty good. I had the TP9v2, SF, DA and they all are good reliable shooters. I might try out one of these newer models.

Top Bottom