Can you ignore the message in a "message movie", and just enjoy a good film?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My favorite message movie is "The Wind and the Lion".

I can choke through very few of he current crop. They are not that good for the crap they are peddling.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Baptist have always taught not to subsidize the whores and whoremongers in Hollywood.

Every dime spent subsidizes a whore or a whoremonger somewhere.

I do realize the fact that one doesn't directly know about it makes it harder to virtue signal.

The Family Research Council comes to mind...

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Movies with a Christian message are at least 25% responsible for making me an atheist. None of them are particularly well made except maybe Passion of the Christ.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Movies with a Christian message are at least 25% responsible for making me an atheist. None of them are particularly well made except maybe Passion of the Christ.

:laugh:

To Ensure Maximum Suffering, Hell's Film Library To Contain Only Christian Movies

There's no films more preachy, more cringe-worthy, or just plain bad like Christian films.

(And I is one.)

As far as movies with a message, wouldn't South Park count? [yes, I'm expanding it to cover the show, but there was a movie] There's a message, albeit a hilariously sarcastic one.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    And I respect you for actually bring able to recognize that.

I stayed at my dad's place after getting out of the hospital recently and he put on The Reliant one night, none of us knew what it was but the description sounded interesting enough.
    My eyes were rolling so hard I could have made a power plant out of my head. My dad and his wife are still religious afaik and even they were making fun of it.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I pretty much stick to shoot em ups and sifi.

The only religeous films I have ever seen are the ten Commandments and Ben Hur. both spectacular films although not too close to the Bible.

I know BH was a novel.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I pretty much stick to shoot em ups and sifi.

The only religeous films I have ever seen are the ten Commandments and Ben Hur. both spectacular films although not too close to the Bible.

I know BH was a novel.

Yup.

"Feel-good movie" - nope, count me out.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I tend to avoid stuff about the Bible. Well, because, I've read the Book and the movie seldom lives up to the book.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Movies are entertainment first and foremost. A lot of them focus so much on the message it takes from the entertainment. The newest Star Wars trilogy is a good example that someone mentioned.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Movies are entertainment first and foremost. A lot of them focus so much on the message it takes from the entertainment. The newest Star Wars trilogy is a good example that someone mentioned.
    Disney ruined both Star Wars and Marvel movies with their SJW :poop:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Disney ruined both Star Wars and Marvel movies with their SJW :poop:

That was really just the sequel trilogy they kept a lot of that out of the side stories. In Solo Lando has a droid that is very SJW about "droid rights" and it's very much a comic relief character.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I liked "Jesus Christ Superstar". And yes, I know it's a musical, but it was pretty awesome on the big screen. And it has some good tunes in it. I didn't see the live "made for tv" version.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    All movies have a message, some more blatant/controversial than others. I'm reminded of a philosophy class challenge. Create a monster. Everyone scribbled furiously to showcase their incantation. When it was time to reveal our creation it was the usual science-fiction space alien Michael Myers hellhound. Upon further examination we all realized nothing was original. It was just rehashed variations from books/TV/movies we've all experienced. Teeth, fangs, claws, 48 eyes, bug-like, alien-like, knives, saws, entrails, ethereal 4th dimension entities... you name it. All just slight variations, nothing "original."

I thought I was being clever. I drew a normal person, but humans can be monsters too. What's the catch? All entertainment is derived from these ideas. There is not one iota of originality in any of it. Once you realize how formulaic it is it becomes hard to watch. In my free time I like to write and once you catch yourself falling into these formulaic plots it gets harder to progress, even harder when you realize that's all there is. All of it is designed for a demographic and to sell advertising to get you to part with your time and money. Maybe, maybe, it was not like this in the past, but I doubt it.

I take the Aristotelian stance, it's all bread and circuses, but I still indulge every now and then, but it is getting harder.

We covered this in my college philosophy class also, but with a broader view. The concept that man is incapable of original thought. We were challenged to come up with an original concept or invention, and no one could do it. Everything that man knows, or has done, or invented, or proposed, or discovered, is based on a progression of observed (or later, read about) natural occurences or previous developed discoveries. Everything.

Man can only only build on what he has observed or others have created/observed and expressed to the rest of mankind. That's the nature of us.

We build on what those who came before us have built. It's a progression. A learning process. There's a reason that people didn't have microwave ovens 1000 years ago. They hadn't discovered the concepts. They didn't have the tools, to make the tools, to make the tools to make a microwave oven.

Well, that's as far as I want to take that, because we're moving off topic here, and I don't want to get into the discussion that technology is actually robbing mankind of useful skills. That would be a discussion for another thread. :abused:

Top Bottom