Can smart people be friends with stupid people?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Can smart people be friends with stupid people?

• Yes

Votes: 59 79.7%
    • No

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    For all of you who voted "yes"... Do you really know any stupid people?

I don't mean less smart than you, I mean stupid. Like average intelligence or below.
    Frankly, if you're here, both you and all of the people you know are above average. Likely 90th percentile.

If you're doubting that fact, go check out some of that TikTwitBook stuff (and I don't mean the popular ones), or talk to someone who's in customer service at any general retail business. I think your expected baseline is skewed.

Realize that all of the warning labels you've ever seen exist because multiple people weren't smart enough to know better.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    For all of you who voted "yes"... Do you really know any stupid people?

I don't mean less smart than you, I mean stupid. Like average intelligence or below.
    Frankly, if you're here, both you and all of the people you know are above average. Likely 90th percentile.

If you're doubting that fact, go check out some of that TikTwitBook stuff (and I don't mean the popular ones), or talk to someone who's in customer service at any general retail business. I think your expected baseline is skewed.

Realize that all of the warning labels you've ever seen exist because multiple people weren't smart enough to know better.

morgan freeman.jpg

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    There's a phrase I discovered this year that really hits home... "I am way to dumb to be this smart". Both my wife and I have self-confidence stuff going on but people come to us for advice and instruction regularly and repeatedly at work (full of people as or more educated than us, sometimes working there longer, and often getting paid more)

Then I go in some of the groups on facebook and weep for the human race.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There's a phrase I discovered this year that really hits home... "I am way to dumb to be this smart". Both my wife and I have self-confidence stuff going on but people come to us for advice and instruction regularly and repeatedly at work (full of people as or more educated than us, sometimes working there longer, and often getting paid more)

Then I go in some of the groups on facebook and weep for the human race.
    Dont underestimate your worth. I know folks that some would consider an idiot, but they get in their element, and dayum. Can they work it!

Me: Hey Cletus, can you solve PI to the 5th digit?

Cletus: Pie? I like pie. Especially sugar cream. By the way, did I tell you I rebuilt the transmission in my truck last weekend with just a multitool in the pole barn I stick built with no plans? Oh, and my well ran dry so I drilled a new one with a water jet thing I built. I

Me: *mouth hangs open*

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Dont underestimate your worth. I know folks that some would consider an idiot, but they get in their element, and dayum. Can they work it!

Me: Hey Cletus, can you solve PI to the 5th digit?

Cletus: Pie? I like pie. Especially sugar cream. By the way, did I tell you I rebuilt the transmission in my truck last weekend with just a multitool in the pole barn I stick built with no plans? Oh, and my well ran dry so I drilled a new one with a water jet thing I built. I

Me: *mouth hangs open*
    valuing self worth is a corollary but separate. mainly just stuff that we just know... no reason or logic or training just common sense or something we heard in a past conversation and that's the way it is but other folks are astounded that we would know it and be able to explain in. Like, you people have a bachelors degree (or better) in engineering and your job is in electronic hardware, how do you not grasp how a simple circuit works? Or my degree is in automotive tech but I'm explaining to finance people how to operate excel and structure data (because they just use excel like a whiteboard). That doesn't even touch on the middle-management and up that has zero concept of what actually goes on in the world or the company they're tasked with making decisions about.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I have met and come to know some exceedingly smart people. Most are simply annoying. A few are truly gems and we've become friends. I guess that means the answer is yes. Albeit I think I know which side I'm on.

Although, it really isn't my fault. My 16-year-old self lives in my head. He talks to me. Sometimes, regrettably, I still listen.

Top Bottom