• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If they were eating my cats I would keep them inside, and quit putting cat food and cats outside to attract them?

Not that there is anything wrong with hunting, I just think it's pretty stupid to complain when they get you back. It's entirely the persons fault.

Really, way off on this one sport.
    I have several friends that have chickens. They are not inside animals. They live in a fenced area. The coons and coyote get into the coop all the time and kill the chickens. Is that the owners fault. I have helped build some serious fencing and they still try. Now when they try they die. Buddy caught a neighbors egg sucking dog in the coup 2 times. 1st time he caught it and took it home. Owner was an asshat about it. He caught it again and ended the POS. How is that a fault of the property owner.

Get you back...what the hell is that. We hunt them because they have over populated and have eaten all the wild pray we used to hunt such as rabbits, quail and so on. It is far easier to just bust a chicken or a pet.
    Get a grip.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The written lease specifies deer, turkey and coyote hunting rights. Would that cover it or does it need to specify nuisance coyote to be covered out of season?

Since it is outside of the coyote hunting season, I would think a written permission slip from the landowner declaring them a nuisance and giving you permission to take them on his behalf to be required.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    There is a season on coyotes. Oct 15 - March 15. CO's write enough tickets to keep everyone reminded of the regulation book.

The only good house cats I've seen were in the form of coyote turds.

Randomly killing a coyote this time of year will increase the likelyhood of coyote/human conflict by a SIGNIFICANT percentage. Ten fold, or more. Long story, but coyotes spotted this time of year are likely males franticly hunting 5 times more than they used too (for mice/rabbits/insects most of the time) to feed their female companion and newborn pups. Kill that coyote and you offset a system that's minimized depredation and human conflict for decades.

A widowed female will stop at nothing to feed her pups and she'll usually take the quickest/easiest prey so she can get back to her pups that need her attention to survive. The quickest & easiest prey is often domestic or otherwise dangerously close to human contact, but her maternal instincts override the sense of danger and risk. If you shot him near your livestock, she was most likely nursing pups within 1/4 mile. Now she's in your back yard and she'll be a SERIOUS problem within hours, unlike the male that valued his own safety more than another meal for the pups.

If you're having legitimate depredation issues caused by coyotes (confirmed by seeing a coyote do it) then you're likely already dealing with a widowed female or an ignorant transient. Choot em'. I would estimate that 90% of the time people think they have a depredation issue with coyotes it's actualy domestic dogs/cats, hawks, howls, foxes, mink or coons. Usually dogs. Coyotes are very intelligent and don't often make the same high-risk judgements repeatedly. Dogs don't see the risk, they see the fun. A handful of desperate/dumb coyotes create a lot of trouble for the rest but they also get me access to a lot of predator hunting ground. :dunno:

If you want to garuntee your area has coyote depredation issues, go spot and shoot a few random coyotes mousing in daylight hours. Hell hath no wrath...

FWIW

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is a season on coyotes. Oct 15 - March 15. CO's write enough tickets to keep everyone reminded of the regulation book.

The only good house cats I've seen were in the form of coyote turds.

Randomly killing a coyote this time of year will increase the likelyhood of coyote/human conflict by a SIGNIFICANT percentage. Ten fold, or more. Long story, but coyotes spotted this time of year are likely males franticly hunting 5 times more than they used too (for mice/rabbits/insects most of the time) to feed their female companion and newborn pups. Kill that coyote and you offset a system that's minimized depredation and human conflict for decades.

A widowed female will stop at nothing to feed her pups and she'll usually take the quickest/easiest prey so she can get back to her pups that need her attention to survive. The quickest & easiest prey is often domestic or otherwise dangerously close to human contact, but her maternal instincts override the sense of danger and risk. If you shot him near your livestock, she was most likely nursing pups within 1/4 mile. Now she's in your back yard and she'll be a SERIOUS problem within hours, unlike the male that valued his own safety more than another meal for the pups.

If you're having legitimate depredation issues caused by coyotes (confirmed by seeing a coyote do it) then you're likely already dealing with a widowed female or an ignorant transient. Choot em'. I would estimate that 90% of the time people think they have a depredation issue with coyotes it's actualy domestic dogs/cats, hawks, howls, foxes, mink or coons. Usually dogs. Coyotes are very intelligent and don't often make the same high-risk judgements repeatedly. Dogs don't see the risk, they see the fun. A handful of desperate/dumb coyotes create a lot of trouble for the rest but they also get me access to a lot of predator hunting ground. :dunno:

If you want to garuntee your area has coyote depredation issues, go spot and shoot a few random coyotes mousing in daylight hours. Hell hath no wrath...

FWIW

Glad you posted this. We have seen dog pack activity in a few area we frequent. Been to a friends farm several times trying to reduce their presence.
    Dogs have no real fear of humans and will come right up to the house.
    They are not as smart as Coyote.
    That said we have seen Coyote at the fence of the chicken coop trying to get in. Nothing like a fresh chicken dinner.

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    DNR: Coyotes

Some interesting reading there from the DNR. They recomend intalling "strobe lights and sirens" or using "guard animals, such as dogs, donkeys and llamas".

So there you go, just throw a llama rave party and your cats will be safe!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    DNR: Coyotes

Some interesting reading there from the DNR. They recomend intalling "strobe lights and sirens" or using "guard animals, such as dogs, donkeys and llamas".

So there you go, just throw a llama rave party and your cats will be safe!

One llama can **** up a bunch of coyotes. The wife's parents have one in with their sheep and he can be viciously protective.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    ESPECIALLY when the llamas have been to a rave and are high on X.

Nah, then he just sits in the corner of the barn playing with glow sticks and rubbing his face.

dance-party-dj-smiley-emoticon.gif

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Llamas, Alpacas, Donkeys... pfffft. :D

I've called and killed coyotes amongst all of them. Sometimes I have to wait on the coyotes to work through them so I can place a bullet safely. They're pretty useless in the dark, without a fair amount of moonlight they wouldn't see a coyote at 50 yards much less scare it off. None of them come to coyote vocals, as you might expect a good guardian to do. None are as intimidating as an old Angus brood cow. I’m confident 90% of the guardian animals I’ve seen in the proximity of coyotes didn't experience a rise in bood pressure until my gun went off.

Coyotes are territorial and adaptive. They keep other coyotes out while adapting to the way-of-life within their core area.

Look at how coyotes living at 96th & Meridian deal with cars and consider how coyotes in BFE work around long necked South American luggage carts. Add a donkey, add a dirtbike, add a WalMart. The coyotes will adapt and survive with minimal adjustment to their daily routine.

Top Bottom