• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Fuel pump in my 2001 F250 went out tonight. At least I am sure it is the pump, may be the relay but it can't be the easy one, right?
    My question of the day is: If this was your truck (70k on the odometer, big dent in the side of the bed, rust above both rear fenders) would you drop the half full tank to replace the pump, cut a hole in the bed to replace the pump, or try scooting the bed back a couple of feet?

Keep in mind I have no plans on selling the truck, it has a bed liner (drop in) so it doesn't have to be a pretty cut/weld job or how ever the patch gets fastened down.

For anyone that wants the details, truck started fine this morning and again this afternoon, this evening when leaving work she started then quickly sputtered and died. She cranks and cranks but won't start. Half tank of fuel.

She did this a couple of weeks ago and started a few hours later and has ran ever since. No codes have been thrown to illuminate the CEL.

AAA towed her the 1/4 mile trip home :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fuel pump in my 2001 F250 went out tonight. At least I am sure it is the pump, may be the relay but it can't be the easy one, right?
    My question of the day is: If this was your truck (70k on the odometer, big dent in the side of the bed, rust above both rear fenders) would you drop the half full tank to replace the pump, cut a hole in the bed to replace the pump, or try scooting the bed back a couple of feet?

Keep in mind I have no plans on selling the truck, it has a bed liner (drop in) so it doesn't have to be a pretty cut/weld job or how ever the patch gets fastened down.

For anyone that wants the details, truck started fine this morning and again this afternoon, this evening when leaving work she started then quickly sputtered and died. She cranks and cranks but won't start. Half tank of fuel.

She did this a couple of weeks ago and started a few hours later and has ran ever since. No codes have been thrown to illuminate the CEL.

AAA towed her the 1/4 mile trip home :):

Get a gauge......jump around the relay......check delivery pressure.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't know about Fords but the GM guys recommend lifting the bed. When I was thinking about fixing mine, I watched a YouTube video where the guy just slid it back just enough required to reach it. I wound up not doing it myself, so I don't know if that would work.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    My '01 Excursion's pump went south on me at 103K miles. You can rule out the relay by jumpering these two leads on the fuse box under the hoodhttp:// ...

the Ex is a bit easier than the trucks from what I've read...the tank just drops straight down...http://

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    When the pump went in my Ranger I cut a U in the bed and bent it up out of the way. I had a liner in it so no one would know or could see.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    If the truck is real rusty underneath,you may want to cut the hole,unlock the ring,and leave the pump hanging,and drop the tank.Those lines don't like to be flexed when rusty.Those bed bolts can also be a bear. Good Luck.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I did my 2004 F250 a couple of times over the years. I just lowered the tank.....was pretty easy and only took a couple of hours to do.

If you have fuel in the tank just drain it. Stick a siphon hose in fill hole to tank and then other end in clean container. Take another small like 1/4" hose and stick it in the fill hole as well, stuff a rag around them to block air from coming out and use an air compressor to blast air in the small tube......it will force fuel out and drain the tank without getting a mouth full of gas.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Brandon, I have no help other than to say good luck. :yesway:

I love these sort of mechanical threads though. Terribly helpful information for future reference. :ingo:

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    I wouldnt cut a hole in the bed. Try to unbolt it and slide it back first. If not, dropping the tank isnt too bad if you have two floor jacks or transmission jacks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I did my 2004 F250 a couple of times over the years. I just lowered the tank.....was pretty easy and only took a couple of hours to do.

If you have fuel in the tank just drain it. Stick a siphon hose in fill hole to tank and then other end in clean container. Take another small like 1/4" hose and stick it in the fill hole as well, stuff a rag around them to block air from coming out and use an air compressor to blast air in the small tube......it will force fuel out and drain the tank without getting a mouth full of gas.

Or use a pump if you have one...........:)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    IF you have the TORX bolts on the bed you need to figure getting new ones possibly.
    I don't recommend cutting a hole in the bed as I prefer to do things properly BUT...the age of the lines and rusty parts have to factor into the decision process.
    I wouldn't be guessing on this job.
    PROPERLY check out the pump pressure and trouble shoot accordingly.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't know about Fords but the GM guys recommend lifting the bed. When I was thinking about fixing mine, I watched a YouTube video where the guy just slid it back just enough required to reach it. I wound up not doing it myself, so I don't know if that would work.

I knew a guy that worked at GM dealer as a mechanic, he found that out the 1st time he did a pick up. He got the tank dropped and the lines unhooked just fine, the locking ring was stuck though. He fought it for something like an hour to get it undone with the tank sliding all over the place. After he finally got it done one of the older mechanics came by and asked "Why didn't you just unbolt the bed and lift it up with the winch?" :n00b::ugh: He asked the guy why didn't you tell me that before? The other mechanic answered "Now you'll always remember it."

My '01 Excursion's pump went south on me at 103K miles. You can rule out the relay by jumpering these two leads on the fuse box under the hoodhttp:// ...

the Ex is a bit easier than the trucks from what I've read...the tank just drops straight down...http://

A quick and dirty test if out on the road, beat on the tank with a rubber mallet/hammer etc. w/a block of wood while someone tries to start it. No guarantee but if it's the pump it will usually fire up. Sometimes it will even keep running until you shut it off again and allow you to get it home or to a shop without the tow charge.

Another bit of advice when reassembling it, lube the rubber o-ring with some silicone spray or oil. Makes assembly much much easier.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Can't say I've done it on a Ford but I have on a 98 GMC K2500. For me it was easier to lower the tank than deal with removing the bed. Removing the bed takes extra help...

Lowering the tank was pretty easy. The fill neck goes in the front so I lowered the front about 4 inches and lowered the back several more than that. Popped the lines, pulled the pump, replaced it all and put it back. Tank can be raised/lowered with a floor jack and strategic placement of blocks. Lines can be removed by feel if you know how it's done. Pump can also be removed by feel but you will need a bit of clearance to get it out of the tank. I never drained the tank, nor did I completely remove it from the bands, just lowered it enough to do the job.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    +1 on the bed being unbolted.. Just did my 94 Dakota.. Soak the bed bolts and with a impact came right off. Used a 2x6 to pick the bed up..wife helped.. Used some wood blocks to keep the bed up.. Undid the lock ring..1/2 hr later the bed was back on. I'm no mechanic, just a small air compressor and impact wrench. YouTube have anything? Good luck.

Top Bottom