• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Ok so I am embarking on the Ham radio expedition. I am gathering information regarding licensing and rule exemptions and equipment. I came across this link which has me some what dumb founded ( Big Suprise right ). The licenses are public recod. I know that all official documentation and just about anything we do these days is matter of public record. What I did not expect is a website that lists information about citties to have not only the call signs for all ham radio operators listed but their home adresses as well. That information is available in the official documentation , But I don't think it should be readily availbe on the web linked like this. If drivers licenses were listed like this I make a bet a lot of people would be up set about it. What are your thoughts?

Link> FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Terre Haute, Indiana

What do you think about this radio - Rig?
    Yaesu FT-897, Yaesu FT897

I have been involved with CB radios in various setups over the years and now that I am more based and not so mobile I am looking to Legally reach out.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well I hear what your saying about call sign/address being such a public record...Hams are a social lot and since the hobby is a little esoteric for the general public, I don't know that it has been a big concern...I think it underlines your opsec in what you do and say on the radio, as you don't know who is listening, so be aware of your frequency and power output! You don't have to be a ham to listen in on a scanner and there are plenty of hams that are very social and monitor all day. As to the radio, I only have my no code tech license, but if you have the money and get the full license (Advanced, I think?) it might not be a bad radio, but if I was starting out and wanted a mobile, I'd get a single band, like a two meter rig, or a dual bander in 2m/70cm...cheaper and the anteanna will be simpler/easier and if you get the right dual bander, you could monitor both bands , or two frequencies...I think for mobile applications in relationship to daily usage and traveling, there are more people on 2m/70cm and with repeater usage I think you will find it pretty handy...and you can always get another radio down the road...ginda like guns!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    That is a great radio, and portable if you need it to be. It will have more features than you will need. The FT-817 has a great following also. With 100 watts and using the HF's you will be able to do some real long distance communication.

I just got my first ham radio this week, a Yaesu VX-170, I wanted small, waterproof and hand held. It is only 2 meter but we have a great system of repeaters. Ham is a different world I am learning. Just figuring out the manual is difficult. I am not familiar with all the ham terms. Good antennas are everything in ham. Since you are looking at a HF model, you will need to take the technician and general tests. Good luck, keep in touch with your progress.

It is worth it just to get away from the idiots on CB. I cant have a cb on in the car with my kids because of the vile language. Have not heard that at all on Ham.

I am going to use my office address for the license, may be a po box would work?

Check your area for local ham clubs they can be real helpful. http://www.w9uuu.org/bulletins.html

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    There is also cheap software you can get to enter all your freq into your radio via your computer, I got a cable off of ebay for it.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    George, if you're interested, I have a book on the basics of amateur radio, kinda detailing how to get the basic setup going.. shoot me a PM if you'd like it, as I'm not using it anymore..

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    It does show an address, POBox or otherwise, but I don't think it's a huge security issue. Anyone listening to a HAM converation will have the callsigns of each member in about 15mins of listening. With a Call sign, getting someone's info is a cakewalk.

For Reference: indytechnerd = KB9SOM. Google knows all.

Last edited:

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    I too stopped using the Cb radio in the vehicle because of language and children. The exception being high traffic accident areas. Can't beat the actual driver reports for up to date traffic accident information. I have an Old Navaho Base rigged up in the Shop until I can get the tower up and an antenna mounted. I get out. I know there is a guy about 2 miles from me into Ham and hope to hook up with him as a mentor of sorts.

While I will be using the Ham as a base I want the option to go mobile. I would rather invest in a radio that as more features than I will ever use, than to spend more money in a year for another radio.

My problem with acquiring information at this point is the tests and classes.
    I have a brain injury that makes testing and memory a problem. I can back this up with documentation. From what I have read so far the 10 and 30 wpm tests can be waived by having a form filled out by a Doctor. The 5 wpm test must still be passed in some form from what I have read so far. I understand they have a wide variety of testing methods and lenient testing procedures.

I have located a local group and plan on attending their next meeting.

I also think this will be a good hobby / skill for my children to have available to them should they choose. It would be nice to have a common hobby. I don't believe the Ham radio community has quite the negative reaction that the gun community has. While I am and will be educating them in firearms, I can see the reaction of people to youth and firearms. I am thinking that the children may chose not to pick up the gun hobby, because of the sigma involved. Having another hobby / skill like Ham radio might be a good side or back up.

As a child I was allowed a CB radio (19 chs) a battery charger for power and a mobile antenna on a stick outside my bedroom window. I got out. It was fun. I learned how to make connections, both physical and intellectual. I learned the art of antenna manipulation and placement, and tunning. I think this was a basis for my scoring high in electrical aptitude on my entrance examinations to the Navy.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    To become a ham. Great info here Become a Ham | W9ZEB Dot Org

Regarding first radios in general I just got my license. What should I buy? | W9ZEB Dot Org

Regarding the FT-857/897 Read this W9ZEB's Review of the Yaesu FT-897 | W9ZEB Dot Org

Your call sign is a radio station. Just like the big 50,000w FM stations in your home town. Licensing requires that an address be on file for that station. If you don't want your home address listed, buy a PO box, and attach your license to the PO Box.

Hopefully some of the above is helpful. Feel free to bounce additional questions off those of us who are licensed. :)

Ok so I am embarking on the Ham radio expedition. I am gathering information regarding licensing and rule exemptions and equipment. I came across this link which has me some what dumb founded ( Big Suprise right ). The licenses are public recod. I know that all official documentation and just about anything we do these days is matter of public record. What I did not expect is a website that lists information about citties to have not only the call signs for all ham radio operators listed but their home adresses as well. That information is available in the official documentation , But I don't think it should be readily availbe on the web linked like this. If drivers licenses were listed like this I make a bet a lot of people would be up set about it. What are your thoughts?

Link> FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Terre Haute, Indiana

What do you think about this radio - Rig?
    Yaesu FT-897, Yaesu FT897

I have been involved with CB radios in various setups over the years and now that I am more based and not so mobile I am looking to Legally reach out.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Also FWIW:

:)
    station-icom.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The 5 wpm test must still be passed in some form from what I have read so far.

Nope. No Morse code requirement exists anymore for any of the license levels (which, btw, have been collapsed to Technician, General, and Amateur Extra). It's written tests only now.

The Amateur Radio Relay League is the NRA for Hams. Here's the link.

ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page

Hooking up with that friend of yours that you mentioned, who is a ham, is your best bet.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I move a lot so my address never is correct anyway, the address that shows for me is 5 houses ago! I'll just register at a work address or something when it comes time to renew again unless a move is again on the horizon.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm testing this weekend in Frankfort. I don't yet have a radio, but when finances make that more feasible, we shall see what develops.

Good luck when you go test, George!

Blessings,
    Bill

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    You aren't in a bad location for propagation. I assume you're talking about Doyle, most Hams are more than willing to be an Elmer. Being your first radio you want to consider the modus operandi as you will probably want in subsequent ones to operate the same way. I guess this should set your mind either at ease or at worry- you can be known by many many ways, a Ham license doesn't really expose you much more. My wife and I have been licensed for many years and have noticed no problems from that, compared to the credit bureaus.....

WVARA should have a license exam at their Hamfest in March if not they used alternate months between TH and Paris.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    I wasn't so much concerned about MY location or information being a matter of public record or easiely searchable. I was on, first look, suprised that private addresses were on a web site that compliles information about cities in the general sense. Population and other municiple statistics. I just didn't expect to see any private information to be listed on a website that is about municilpe statistics. The fact that it came up when I put ham radio TH IN. into the search engine, was the hugh factor for me. Explainations offered have led me to reason it as being understandable. I will be getting a PO box just the same. That was happening for business reasons anyway so it just flows with this thread. I don't mind people trying to find where I live, the non specific search reveal suprised me that is all.

I have been to the TH groups web site and will attend meetings. Probally will tet out soon as possible. I have an electrical background and although memory is a problem the instinct for the right answer is still there. I will also do some refresher study.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    I may be wrong but I believe that call sign servers will give your location as it is on your license, and that is your physical location, not a P. O. box. The license gives your physical because of operational complaints.

The test isn't hard, and there are test question pools available about everywhere. The code requirement went away a few years ago. My wife aced the test and she has difficulty turning on an AM/FM....

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    We should give some of them a call

Like you can't find more information on them now!!
    If I was one of those people I would be pissed!!
    Its called google!!

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I may be wrong but I believe that call sign servers will give your location as it is on your license, and that is your physical location, not a P. O. box. The license gives your physical because of operational complaints.

The test isn't hard, and there are test question pools available about everywhere. The code requirement went away a few years ago. My wife aced the test and she has difficulty turning on an AM/FM....

Only published location is the mailing address. Look here:

ULS License - Amateur License - AA9AI - KIRKWOOD SR, JAMES W

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    To all that are taking a test soon, good luck! My friends always encouraged me to get my license, it's kinda like, did ya get your carry permit, did ya get yer Ham License, and did ya get yer EMT...kinda crazy friends, but helped a lot.

I took a computer based test trainer that let you keep taking the test with question pool, I kept taking it till I consistently scored 100's...then I tested in Terre Haute...Some might say that was cheating, but it got me into the license with the minimal amount of studying...we definately need more ham operators, that's why the dropping of the code requirements...I still wouldn't mind learning CW though and upgrading my license. I just got Yeasu FT60R from R & L in Ohio, seems like a good solid HT. APRS is another fun tool, especially from a MSG standpoint...

Top Bottom