• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    That's fine, and to each their own. Again though, it is fully up to the buyer - not the seller - to know said buyer's state laws. Caveat emptor and all.
    Having lived in CA you really need to be careful. They will have an overzealous prosecutor that is more than happy to go after you, the seller. Regardless of the outcome.

While I was there the city of Davis, CA tried to charge anyone who ordered a knife from Cold Steel with a misdemeanor and seize said knives. All this because their prosecutor felt some items they sold were illegal in the state.

We left there in the early 90's. The state of CA tried to tax us on money we had saved and transferred to IN. This after living here a year. They said any money earned and saved in CA was subject to an additional tax after being moved out of the state.

It didn't work. Although we did see a tax lawyer to clear it up.

Don

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    As a business you choose not to sell to gun owners there because you don't want to risk losing your business due to a frivolous lawsuit, not because you are breaking the law.

Can you point me to any cases where an individual in a state like Indiana was jailed for shipping mags to an individual in California?
    I have no case law of an out of state person being jailed however that doesn’t stop them from issuing a warrant if the right prosecutor gets involved.

I should have articulated more the civil suit that if they can prove it (municipalities are all about civil lawsuits as much as criminal charges any nore AND and the E in electronic correspondence these days stands for Evidence)

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Former californian, whos now a hoosier. It currently is illegal to sell, purchase, or transfer magainzes over 10 rounds in california. It is not illegal to own these magazines as there is a grandfather clause in the law. There is a stay in place on the law that is challenged (Duncan v Bonta). You cannot ship it to them (however as far as I know UPS or fedex wouldn't know the difference when shipping as its processed in the state you ship it in). You can however block the magazine with a pin or rivet and transfer it to them that way as it is now a fixed magazine. Another option is to put a rod in the magazine spring guide and glue the bottom of the magazine shut so that it "can't be removed." Once they are blocked you can ship them as they are just regular 10 round magazines. Whatever they choose to it when it is in there possession, is on them.

Here's an example of pining a magazine.
    1688046217538.png

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Ship, don't ship - completely up to each of you at your own personal discretion. I am still unaware of any legal risk to an individual from another state selling/shipping mags to brothers or sisters in arms in California.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I wouldn't do any gun business in CA, NY, MD, or any other state that is wacky like that. All it takes is a prosecutor that knows your name and address and you're on the next expedited train to CA.
    Don't think they won't. The state has unlimited time and money, and you don't.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Ship, don't ship - completely up to each of you at your own personal discretion. I am still unaware of any legal risk to an individual from another state selling/shipping mags to brothers or sisters in arms in California.

All gun owners should be well aware it's possible to be 100% correct, legally and morally, and still lose everything proving it. "They" don't have to win, they don't have to be right. They just have to spend nigh unlimited taxpayer money dragging you through a s***show till you never see the light of day again.

Top Bottom