• ...and so much more!
  • Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    Hoping someone here can help me.

I’ve since listed some magazines in various places, and got an interested buyer.

Magazines are 20 rounders.

However here’s the issue.

Buyer lives in California, and I told him I didn’t want to ship magazines to California, to which he told me they lifted the magazine ban. I can’t seem to find anything online about them lifting it. So my question would be did they really lift it? Or is this buyer trying to get me to send him “restricted” magazines.

Also every gun law is an infringement, I’m just trying to cover my bases here.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Penal Code § 32310 PC – Large-Capacity Magazines – California Law

Criminal Defense » Penal Code » 32310 PC - Large-Capacity Magazines
    Large-capacity magazines (LCMs) are illegal in California to possess, sell, purchase, give away, import, transport, or manufacture. LCMs are defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

There are some limited exceptions to this rule, such as for law enforcement and military personnel in certain circumstances. Plus the Ninth Circuit is currently considering whether Penal Code § 32310 – the state statute which bans large-capacity magazines – is unconstitutional.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Penal Code § 32310 PC – Large-Capacity Magazines – California Law

Criminal Defense » Penal Code » 32310 PC - Large-Capacity Magazines
    Large-capacity magazines (LCMs) are illegal in California to possess, sell, purchase, give away, import, transport, or manufacture. LCMs are defined as any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

There are some limited exceptions to this rule, such as for law enforcement and military personnel in certain circumstances. Plus the Ninth Circuit is currently considering whether Penal Code § 32310 – the state statute which bans large-capacity magazines – is unconstitutional.
    So when everyone bought millions when the judge ruled it unconstitutional they are legally in possession?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Don't know the timeline, that's what turned up under a search on 'California magazine capacity law 2023'. It's possible it was written before the court ruled or possibly the state is appealing to a higher court. I wouldn't sell to Cali unless I was damn sure about the legality, note the language about 'illegal in California to possess, sell, purchase, give away, import, transport, or manufacture'

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So when everyone bought millions when the judge ruled it unconstitutional they are legally in possession?
    I'm seeing that SCOTUS instructed the 9th circuit to reconsider its decision to uphold the 'high cap' magazine ban, and that a decision was expected in 2023

I can't find any information indicating that they have ruled, and SCOTUS did not overturn the ban, so in the absence of information to the contrary I believe the ban is still in effect

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm seeing that SCOTUS instructed the 9th circuit to reconsider its decision to uphold the 'high cap' magazine ban, and that a decision was expected in 2023

I can't find any information indicating that they have ruled, and SCOTUS did not overturn the ban, so in the absence of information to the contrary I believe the ban is still in effect
    Thanks for researching it.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash

I’ve since listed some magazines in various places, and got an interested buyer.

Buyer lives in California, and I told him I didn’t want to ship magazines to California, to which he told me they lifted the magazine ban. I can’t seem to find anything online about them lifting it. So my question would be did they really lift it? Or is this buyer trying to get me to send him “restricted” magazines.

This question is now up here:

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Me? I would ship to ban states. I'm not responsible for knowing what BS may or may not be happening in another state at a given time. That's the buyer's responsibility. If they're willing to pay for my stuff, then I'd ship it to them. Let's not turn our backs on our brothers and sisters in arms stuck behind enemy lines.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Me? I would ship to ban states. I'm not responsible for knowing what BS may or may not be happening in another state at a given time. That's the buyer's responsibility. If they're willing to pay for my stuff, then I'd ship it to them. Let's not turn our backs on our brothers and sisters in arms stuck behind enemy lines.
    I've been told "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse". I hardly want to even visit those ban states, and certainly don't want to be drug through their legal system. Now, if they want to rent a PO box in Nevada and import them on their own, that's on them.
    --Rick

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I've been told "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse". I hardly want to even visit those ban states, and certainly don't want to be drug through their legal system. Now, if they want to rent a PO box in Nevada and import them on their own, that's on them.
    --Rick

That's fine, and to each their own. Again though, it is fully up to the buyer - not the seller - to know said buyer's state laws. Caveat emptor and all.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis

I personally wouldn't just to cover my own rear. Its clearly ridiculous but last I heard there also doing background checks on ammo

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    That's fine, and to each their own. Again though, it is fully up to the buyer - not the seller - to know said buyer's state laws. Caveat emptor and all.
    That sounds great…UNTIL you are in a criminal or civil suit! And trust me if anything found can be traced back to anyone out of state California is Lawsuit crazy!

I’ll ad a business we won’t send any over 10 round mag to the ban State unless it’s accepted by the dealer with the gun in writing and or 2 there is some sort of exception that we can document.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    How does this work for things like 10 round 458 Socom magazines?

I.e

Standard capacity 5.56 AR magazines - which are 9-10 round 458 magazines?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    That sounds great…UNTIL you are in a criminal or civil suit! And trust me if anything found can be traced back to anyone out of state California is Lawsuit crazy!

I’ll ad a business we won’t send any over 10 round mag to the ban State unless it’s accepted by the dealer with the gun in writing and or 2 there is some sort of exception that we can document.

As a business you choose not to sell to gun owners there because you don't want to risk losing your business due to a frivolous lawsuit, not because you are breaking the law.

Can you point me to any cases where an individual in a state like Indiana was jailed for shipping mags to an individual in California?

Top Bottom