• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I would like to go tonight but the person I was planning to go with decided he would rather stay home and study :nuts: :ugh: :nono: :scratch:

Do you think they will let me in if I signup for a Cabela's Card??
    I was planning to get one anyway to earn points

Last edited:

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I thought I'd report some of my opinions from the pre-event tonight. I was able to call the Cabela Visa club and get an invite despite only having a classic level card ( tonight was to be for black and silver). As the doors opened up at 5pm, the entire staff were there clapping and greeting us as we walked into the main lobby. I thought that was a nice touch.
    Ammo:
    limits of 500 on .22
    CCI was $8.49 for 100 rds
    325 count of Winchester was $21.99
    centerfire was around .45 per round with the exception of 5.56 American Eagle that was $6.47 per 20 rds.
    Powder:
    I am not a reloader. There were 3 small shelves with reloading stuff. 3 different manufacturers of powder.
    I noticed primers and casings as well.
    Hand Guns:
    They have a very limited selection of hand guns and did not have the Ruger 22/45 Lite in Blue I was hoping to purchase. I ordered it knowing that they would price match. Saving me $64.00
    Long Guns:
    Some selection; however, nothing like the volume of Gander Mt.
    The small crowd seemed to have trouble with the aisle widths. Cableas has crammed alot of general merch. into a small space.
    The cafe inside served some great fudge and roasted nuts. It looked like they had hot dogs as well.
    Fishing:
    Prices on supplies are high. Most frogs and plastics can be found cheaper at Walmart.
    Lots of casters and rods to be seen though.
    Employees:
    Seemed like they wanted to help. I had the feeling though that there were only a few knowledgeable folks there.
    The checkout system was well attended and things moved along well.
    The chip enabled scanners were not operational tonight.
    Gun Library:
    They have sectioned off a small 45 degree corner of the back of the store for the library. I did not spend much time in there.
    Guess that is it for now. I plan on making the Thursday opening to get some free stuff.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I thought I'd report some of my opinions from the pre-event tonight. I was able to call the Cabela Visa club and get an invite despite only having a classic level card ( tonight was to be for black and silver). As the doors opened up at 5pm, the entire staff were there clapping and greeting us as we walked into the main lobby. I thought that was a nice touch.
    Ammo:
    limits of 500 on .22
    centerfire was around .45 per round with the exception of 5.56 American Eagle that was $6.47 per 20 rds.
    Powder:
    I am not a reloader. There were 3 small shelves with reloading stuff. 3 different manufacturers of powder.
    Hand Guns:
    They have a very limited selection of hand guns and did not have the Ruger 22/45 Lite in Blue I was hoping to purchase. I ordered it knowing that they would price match. Saving me $64.00
    Long Guns:
    The small crowd seemed to have trouble with the aisle widths. Cableas has crammed alot of general merch. into a small space.
    The cafe inside served some great fudge and roasted nuts. It looked like they had hot dogs as well.
    Fishing:
    Prices on supplies are high. Most frogs and plastics can be found cheaper at Walmart.
    Employees:
    Seemed like they wanted to help. I had the feeling though that there were only a few knowledgeable folks there.
    Gun Library:
    They have sectioned off a small 45 degree corner of the back of the store for the library. I did not spend much time in there.
    Guess that is it for now. I plan on making the Thursday opening to get some free stuff.

This sounds less exciting than I was hoping for.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I was there for the preview night. No sales, but prices on powders and primers were pretty good. Line of 100+ folks led me to leave. I'll be back a few weeks after grand opening!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I went and stood in line for a few minutes before they opened the doors last night. I was disappointed and only stayed about 45 minutes. I was looking for clothing to wear on a Kentucky elk hunt next month and they didn't have much of anything worth looking at. Two styles of lightweight to choose from, neither camo suitable for where I'll be going and neither particularly well designed. I guess I'll stick with driving a few hours to get to a Bass Pro when I need something.

I don't buy guns or gun related stuff at the big box stores so I stayed out of the firearms department, there were four men per square foot in it anyway.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I struggle to understand why they picked such a small format store for the area. They are located in a high income area, with interstate access that has a strong outdoor customer base, very close to rivers and reservoirs not to mention farm country.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I struggle to understand why they picked such a small format store for the area. They are located in a high income area, with interstate access that has a strong outdoor customer base, very close to rivers and reservoirs not to mention farm country.

Agreed, the local economy would stand for a bigger store, lots of those new small stores in that area, guess everyone figured that part of Noblesville/Fishers wasn't going to boom the way it has?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Agreed, the local economy would stand for a bigger store, lots of those new small stores in that area, guess everyone figured that part of Noblesville/Fishers wasn't going to boom the way it has?

Could it be the city/town preventing larger buildings? I know in a lot of places they limit the size of facilities that go in. Could be it's not a decision made by the business, but local government instead. Just a thought...

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Ammo:
    limits of 500 on .22
    Powder:
    Hand Guns:
    Long Guns:
    Fishing:
    Employees:
    Gun Library:

Thanks for the report! :)

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Could it be the city/town preventing larger buildings? I know in a lot of places they limit the size of facilities that go in. Could be it's not a decision made by the business, but local government instead. Just a thought...

The smaller stores are generating more profit per square foot than the bigger "legacy" stores. Post 2008, Cabelas started moving to the smaller "Next Generation" style of store that runs about 80,000 sq ft vs a legacy store that can run around 200,000. I recently saw an article that said Cabelas would also be opening "Outpost" style stores that are around 40,000 sq ft.

Retailer Cabela's New Store Format Drives Sales Growth - Investors.com

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I went and stood in line for a few minutes before they opened the doors last night. I was disappointed and only stayed about 45 minutes. I was looking for clothing to wear on a Kentucky elk hunt next month and they didn't have much of anything worth looking at. Two styles of lightweight to choose from, neither camo suitable for where I'll be going and neither particularly well designed. I guess I'll stick with driving a few hours to get to a Bass Pro when I need something.

I don't buy guns or gun related stuff at the big box stores so I stayed out of the firearms department, there were four men per square foot in it anyway.
    If you're planning to hit the basspro in Clarksville, gimme a shout before you drive down and I can scout it for you, I usually go in there on Friday mornings and wander around.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    Took the kids and visited the new store tonight. They were backed up at the gun counter, so I didn't swing through there. As for the rest of the store, it was everything I figured it would be. It'll be nice to be able to "ship to store" now!

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    We went Monday night. WAY too many people in not enough room. Other then getting 22 and my husband finding a mag carrier in the bargain cave, I wish we would've just stayed home. I live right over the I69 bridge so I'll be in there often. There was a decent amount of reloading equipment but I could only find 16? feet of holsters. Disappointing. Used gun racks outside the gun library were very shotgun heavy. Bargain cave was fully stocked, I'm sure with items that weren't selling at other stores. The checkout was pretty quick considering the crowd in there and the cashiers were all cheerful and polite. I don't necessarily mind this being a smaller store because I can still do the ship to store without having to drive 3 hours each way. I'll still make the trip north to Hammond and Portage for my Cabela's/ Bass Pro shopping day but this will get me through between trips.

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I went last night, got right in, did not seem to crowded. Over all I was disappointed, not like their other stores. I took a friend who had never been to one and hyped it up to him. I apologized. My wife was even disappointed and mentioned the size and lack of merchandise. I didn't really see any deals. They did have ammo, powder and primers at normal prices. My friend talked to an employee at the gun counter and looked at 2 pistols. He was told he needed to go to the local sheriffs office to get a pistol permit before he could buy a pistol. I questioned the employee and asked if it was a Cabela's thing, he said no, it was an Indiana thing. I explained to my friend how buying a gun normally works and then the employee said it helps with background check maybe, and that he wouldn't be able to leave the store tonight with a pistol because the background check would take a few days. I am pretty sure the employee was not from Indiana. Another 2 employees I talked to were very helpful, one at the gun counter about reloading powder and the other in the archery section, so I guess it is hit or miss. Unless they stop offering the 5 dollar shipping on club purchases probably will not be back to that store unless I am picking something I have shipped there up. I will go to the Dundee store when I am up visiting family in Toledo. Maybe it will get better after it has been opened for a while.
    Jim

embmtxatl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2015
    Hendricks County
    I went last night, got right in, did not seem to crowded. Over all I was disappointed, not like their other stores. I took a friend who had never been to one and hyped it up to him. I apologized. My wife was even disappointed and mentioned the size and lack of merchandise. I didn't really see any deals. They did have ammo, powder and primers at normal prices. My friend talked to an employee at the gun counter and looked at 2 pistols. He was told he needed to go to the local sheriffs office to get a pistol permit before he could buy a pistol. I questioned the employee and asked if it was a Cabela's thing, he said no, it was an Indiana thing. I explained to my friend how buying a gun normally works and then the employee said it helps with background check maybe, and that he wouldn't be able to leave the store tonight with a pistol because the background check would take a few days. I am pretty sure the employee was not from Indiana. Another 2 employees I talked to were very helpful, one at the gun counter about reloading powder and the other in the archery section, so I guess it is hit or miss. Unless they stop offering the 5 dollar shipping on club purchases probably will not be back to that store unless I am picking something I have shipped there up. I will go to the Dundee store when I am up visiting family in Toledo. Maybe it will get better after it has been opened for a while.
    Jim

Great report Jim! I wonder if they even require training for their people behind the gun counter.

Top Bottom