• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Great, knock off purses, knock off cologne, knock off clothes, knock off watches and now knock off ammo! I wish they’d just knock it off!!!
    Don’t forget optics, and other accessories for guns. Just read in a forum that high end wheels and other parts for luxury cars are being counterfeited. Also to Denny up the terminology, knock off’s are look similar, counterfeiting or fakes are made to look like the real thing. Trijicon used to have a page to help folks verify if their purchase was real or fake but they just couldn’t keep up with the bad guys, so they quit as I was told.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Please post pictures of this knock off ammo thats in the US Market, it will make it much easier to spot it then.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Don’t forget optics, and other accessories for guns. Just read in a forum that high end wheels and other parts for luxury cars are being counterfeited. Also to Denny up the terminology, knock off’s are look similar, counterfeiting or fakes are made to look like the real thing. Trijicon used to have a page to help folks verify if their purchase was real or fake but they just couldn’t keep up with the bad guys, so they quit as I was told.
    You’re correct. I mess around with cars, watches, guns and a few other things and the counterfeit stuff is almost impossible to determine anymore. Even if you buy a new item it could be a counterfeit product and the dealer may be completely unaware. I’m extremely leery of pre owned high end items or even new ones if the price is just too good! Buyer beware!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What's the kick in the cherries, is when you pay the name brand price, under the assumption the product is the name brand.
    That is why the retailer matters. The risk of getting a fake Rolex at Reis-Nichols is minuscule. Even at a very reputable jewler the risk is high of getting a fake. The bad guys actually will steal a watch, take the movement out to sell, and put a fake movement in the real case.

A Wall Street Journal writer took a fake super high end purse to the top buyer for a top NYC store and the buyer could not distinguish it was fake, even the packaging was right. The buyer was incredulous even after being told it was fake that it was so close to the real thing.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    That is why the retailer matters. The risk of getting a fake Rolex at Reis-Nichols is minuscule. Even at a very reputable jewler the risk is high of getting a fake. The bad guys actually will steal a watch, take the movement out to sell, and put a fake movement in the real case.

A Wall Street Journal writer took a fake super high end purse to the top buyer for a top NYC store and the buyer could not distinguish it was fake, even the packaging was right. The buyer was incredulous even after being told it was fake that it was so close to the real thing.
    I had a buddy years ago say to me that if it’s such a good fake that nobody could tell it what difference does it make. A curious notion to ponder.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I had a buddy years ago say to me that if it’s such a good fake that nobody could tell it what difference does it make. A curious notion to ponder.
    Not for me because a “good fake” is purely cosmetic not function. The risk with a purse is negligible, an optic, totally different. They are often discovered by the manufacturer when they are sent back for warranty because they didn’t work.

If someone was buying a BMW M wheel fake and raced on it when it shatters could kill someone…

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Not ammo but 2 different LED light strips (in case anyone plans on lighting a gun safe) advertised as having "3M" adhesive, except one seems to be missing the 3. If they lie about one think, everything else is also in question. Materials, testing, UL listed, country of origin, guarantee, all of it.
    1709578116575.png

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You’re correct. I mess around with cars, watches, guns and a few other things and the counterfeit stuff is almost impossible to determine anymore. Even if you buy a new item it could be a counterfeit product and the dealer may be completely unaware. I’m extremely leery of pre owned high end items or even new ones if the price is just too good! Buyer beware!
    Even when the price is reasonable you need to pay attention.
    We have been looking at 65-67 Chevelle 138 rollers for a couple of years now.
    Its amazing what some will do to try to pass off as an original big block SS car.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Even when the price is reasonable you need to pay attention.
    We have been looking at 65-67 Chevelle 138 rollers for a couple of years now.
    Its amazing what some will do to try to pass off as an original big block SS car.
    Protect-o-plate and VIN checks.
    If it's a roller, it wouldn't matter much, other than attempting to inflate the price. Most people build them with modern tech.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Protect-o-plate and VIN checks.
    If it's a roller, it wouldn't matter much, other than attempting to inflate the price. Most people build them with modern tech.
    We still want the roller to be right and hopefully uncut lol.
    I'm expecting to put in new floor and trunk pans, and some body metal.
    It will be a carb'ed 427 and a rock crusher behind it. Its already in stock just waiting.
    I have one more car in me, after that my kids can have them.

I passed up a 67 138 car in Anderson a few years ago and it was a mistake to have passed on it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Not ammo but 2 different LED light strips (in case anyone plans on lighting a gun safe) advertised as having "3M" adhesive, except one seems to be missing the 3. If they lie about one think, everything else is also in question. Materials, testing, UL listed, country of origin, guarantee, all of it.
    View attachment 337557

There are at least 3 M's on that strip... so...

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Not for me because a “good fake” is purely cosmetic not function. The risk with a purse is negligible, an optic, totally different. They are often discovered by the manufacturer when they are sent back for warranty because they didn’t work.

If someone was buying a BMW M wheel fake and raced on it when it shatters could kill someone…
    Absolutely. I was just relaying what was said to me.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Silly question. They are posting a PSA about ammo. Good advice for all of us, especially when we can expect bumpy roads in the near future.
    Why is it a silly question?
    I recall ATF doing a recall with a few shipping containers was imported of +P++ sub-gun 9mm ammo that was taking the slides off a pistols 20+ years ago. Its awesome in a open bolt sub gun, not so much in a pistol.
    My post above in this thread asked for pictures in post #5
    With a post like the OP posted, just a bit more information should be given.

Top Bottom