• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    It's the same mentality that feels an executive should be paid millions when their employees are all making minimum wage. Short term gain. Take a reasonable salary and make sure your employees actually want to show up to work and be able to feed their families. Plan for long term viability and not short term profits for stockholders.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    The problem is that many companies have a lot of outside influence from investors and their board of directors. Investors and board members want to see profits now and are not as concerned about long term implications. Thus, CEOs and other top executives have to place a lot of emphasis on short term earnings unless they want to be removed from their positions. The top executives that execute this strategy best are in high demand, thus they can and do command the excessive salaries we see. Though I firmly believe in capitalism, it is one of the negatives of the system driven by stocks.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The problem is that many companies have a lot of outside influence from investors and their board of directors. Investors and board members want to see profits now and are not as concerned about long term implications. Thus, CEOs and other top executives have to place a lot of emphasis on short term earnings unless they want to be removed from their positions. The top executives that execute this strategy best are in high demand, thus they can and do command the excessive salaries we see. Though I firmly believe in capitalism, it is one of the negatives of the system driven by stocks.

100% agree with this. Many businesses have forgotten what it means to invest in the long term. Everything is short-term, and I believe it benefits nobody. The "make a quick buck" mentality is crippling our economy and job market.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    An interesting question. I definitely see more emphasis on occupational sectors which maximize short-term profits at the expense of long-term growth...and very active support of this from the political sector:

Is Business School Gutting the Economy?

I graduated a business school a few years ago. At graduation, they sorted us by department. The accounting and finance graduates far outnumbered every other department. I graduated with an economics degree, and there were not even two dozen of us. Accounting and finance had at least a hundred graduates. It definitely says a lot about the status of our business school graduates.

Top Bottom