• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    I hope this works since I am terminally computer challenged but I thought this old book put out by Chrysler about the Evansville Ordnance Plant was an interesting piece of Indiana history.
    Just 1 more way Hoosiers supported the warfighter!

Attachments

• Bullets-by-the-Billion, Chrysler Corp. 1946 (1).pdf
      5.3 MB · Views: 135

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Never realized. Wish they were doing that today! Liked the picture of the guy test firing-safety glasses but no ear protection.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I used to have several of the shot rounds pictured on pp. 36-37. The same plant rebuilt tanks. Powder was stored in large magazines where the 4-H grounds are now. It was staged near Hwy 41 & diamond and there was a large conveyor system which brought it into the plant.

I appraised the factory building a couple times some years ago. It was really neat to walk through.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Still reading but this is great! My grandmother worked here during the war. I've also walked the ground at the Ammunition Holding Area, now the Vanderburgh County 4H grounds.

Thanks for the upload.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I used to have several of the shot rounds pictured on pp. 36-37. The same plant rebuilt tanks. Powder was stored in large magazines where the 4-H grounds are now. It was staged near Hwy 41 & diamond and there was a large conveyor system which brought it into the plant.

I appraised the factory building a couple times some years ago. It was really neat to walk through.

A couple of months ago, a friend and I checked out the area on Maxwell Ave, trying to find remnants of that conveyor belt. We couldn't find any trace of the conveyor itself but we did find a blast wall by the powder/primer building near Diamond.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I work in a plant that is built on the land that used to be the Indiana Army ammunition Plant, Charlestown, In. When I was younger we used to go up to Friendship for the muzzleloading shoots, we would drive by the remnants of the plant, and the Jefferson Proving grounds near Madison...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    A couple of months ago, a friend and I checked out the area on Maxwell Ave, trying to find remnants of that conveyor belt. We couldn't find any trace of the conveyor itself but we did find a blast wall by the powder/primer building near Diamond.

Anyone interested in how it was Evansville that won WWII should read the Book Evansville in World War 2 by Dr. James Macleod. There are also a whole series of coffee table books by Harold Morgan as well on the various plants and development.

Evv WWII.jpg

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana

Now when you say 41 and Diamond, you mean Old 41 across from the southbound offramp, correct?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Kingsbury in Porter County was an artillery test range.
    Lots of areas closed off due to shells.

Outside my steel mill is a big concrete building that they tested tank barrels in.
    Gary, IN

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Thank you so much for sharing!!! Huge history buff here. They are remodeling part of the GE Factory grounds to be a mall and shopping. The neat thing is they aren't tearing the buildings down. GE produced almost all our communication equipment for WW2. International had a huge factory producing engines and transmissions for tanks and other vehicles.

Brian Keith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Love learning more about Indiana Military History! Thanks!
    First found a copy of that book when I was in high school (late '70's) Fascinating! Steel cased ammo, "repack", great stuff! And, it was done in about five years!
    Indiana did it's fair share to beat the Axis! Norden bomb sights assembled in Indianapolis, Tanks built up north, compasses built by a music instrument maker-Conn in Elkhart, HBT uniforms made in Portland and Richmond. Don't forget Jeffersonville Depot (JQMD)!
    BKW

Top Bottom