Build or buy a AR for rifle competition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Now that I've put one AR together I'm already getting the itch to do another. I'd like to start shooting in rifle competitions this next year or at least give it a try and I'd need a regular 20" AR to do that. I'd always heard that the Rock River National Match A4 is a good rifle for competitions, but I don't know if I'd be better off building something out of better parts.

I'm not looking to spend a million bucks and get the most tricked out AR out there, but I'd like to consider something that gives me an honest chance to see where I stack up against other shooters out there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Don't buy anything pard. Just let me know when you are going to show up and I will have a rifle and ammo for you to use.

Things become a lot clearer when you have tried what works. The RRA is more than good enough. And I have one to loan you.

Regards
    muddy foot

Tango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Pending on what manufacturer you buy from, I tend to find building easier because when I purchase a new rifle I almost always change the furniture on it. Plus, you can save money building.

RRA is okay, but I would go with Noveske or LaRue given their higher precision. Look into Geissele triggers.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    Don't buy anything pard. Just let me know when you are going to show up and I will have a rifle and ammo for you to use.

Things become a lot clearer when you have tried what works. The RRA is more than good enough. And I have one to loan you.

Regards
    muddy foot

take him up on this. i watched him shoot at 700 yds open sight. he knows what he's talking about...daryll

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm just curious, but what do you guys think of a kit like this Palmetto State Armory 20'' Hammer-Forged Rifle Kit for how it may apply to a high power competition? I don't have my heart set on it or anything, but it seems like a nice kit. I'm curious of how you all think a hammer forged and chrome lined barrel would perform. I doubt it'd be the best in it's class and I have no illusion of this kit being competitive at the highest levels, but I thought it could be something that would both let me have a rifle like the one I was issued back in the day and start getting into competitions with. I'm just curious what some thoughts are on that kit from a competitive point of view.

One of these days I'm going to get out to the range with sloughfoot and I think I'll get the education of a lifetime.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A lot of money, a lot of marketing. Buy it if you want, but it won't outshoot the lowly Wilson barreled uppers with non-shot peened, off the shelf, BCG's. Especially since the BCG is probably the lowest stress part of an AR and is an ignored part as long as the key is staked and it is scraped out every now and again.

Far more important than the a shot-peened BCG is a reliable 1/2 or 1/4 minute rear sight and a 4 1/2 lb two stage trigger and a free float handguard. The air gauged barrel is far more important than shot-peening the BCG.

This is my problem with the so-called "premium" AR's. They use lots of words and folks think that all that stuff is needed for accuracy and reliability. Guys pay the money and look down on us guys that shoot, off the shelf rifles, that are accurate and hold together for thousands of rounds under some pretty trying circumstances.

It is your money, but the offer stands for you to shoot a club owned AR before you put out big bucks.

Consider this....http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=268

A little more, but the money is spent on what is important.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A lot of money, a lot of marketing. Buy it if you want, but it won't outshoot the lowly Wilson barreled uppers with non-shot peened, off the shelf, BCG's. Especially since the BCG is probably the lowest stress part of an AR and is an ignored part as long as the key is staked and it is scraped out every now and again.

Far more important than the a shot-peened BCG is a reliable 1/2 or 1/4 minute rear sight and a 4 1/2 lb two stage trigger and a free float handguard. The air gauged barrel is far more important than shot-peening the BCG.

This is my problem with the so-called "premium" AR's. They use lots of words and folks think that all that stuff is needed for accuracy and reliability. Guys pay the money and look down on us guys that shoot, off the shelf rifles, that are accurate and hold together for thousands of rounds under some pretty trying circumstances.

It is your money, but the offer stands for you to shoot a club owned AR before you put out big bucks.

Consider this....Rock River Arms: NM Upper Half

A little more, but the money is spent on what is important.

I agree with you on not buying into the whole Mil-Spec = Holy Grail type of mentality especially when it comes to an accuracy based competition. I was only looking at the PSA kit because it was a pretty cheap way to completely get into the game.

What do you prefer for competition, the 1/2" or 1/4" adjustments? Do most people use the fixed carry handle or the removable type? I'd think that if I was going to use it as a dedicated competition rifle that I'd want the fixed carry handle.

Is there much difference in what better between a White Oak or a RRA NM? Those are the two names I've seen tossed around a lot over the years, but it seems like it get down to a preference at some point.

I appreciate the advice guy, I really do. You all are keeping me from making mistakes and I appreciate that! I keep asking my warden (wife) about when I can get out to the range and it just seems like we're booked every weekend for one thing or another. Normally, when I do get a chance to go to the range it's because something came up last minute and she's taking the kids somewhere and I have a window of time without much warning.

SMOKEDIVER36

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Chesterfield IN
    Good advice

Regards
    muddy foot

Do what has been offered above (got to say sloughfoot very cool of you to offer this up) then if you find you want to stick with it.

1. Sign up for the 2012 SAFS at Perry

2. Set a goal for say top 10% in the EIC match that follows the class

3. If you accomplish said goal. Go to vendors row after and purchase NM category AR (RR, Armalite, Bushmaster). They will be specially priced for the matches 8 to 900.00 range and are plenty of gun for beginner HP

4. If you do not accomplish said goal. Come by my camper after and we will drink cold ones until you say "s#@*w it lets go buy one anyway":D

Thanks Ross 3605

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Frank White at Compass Lake sold me two full float service rifle uppers. They shot really well. I believe the man that won the State service rifle Championship in 2010 was shooting a factory built Bushmaster DCM that still had the factory barrel. Take up the mans offer to let you shoot one of his rifles so you can get a feel for the sport before you dump big bucks. National Match shooting is a little pricey to start from scratch. A good rifle, a mat, a good shooting jacket, a proper scope and purpose built scope stand can easily toast a couple of 1000 dollars without going top shelf.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Guys pay the money and look down on us guys that shoot, off the shelf rifles, that are accurate and hold together for thousands of rounds under some pretty trying circumstances.

Such as? A KD range? Or maybe combat? Or maybe a multi-thousand round carbine course where the 'off the shelf' wonders seem to fail more than those made properly.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Such as? A KD range? Or maybe combat? Or maybe a multi-thousand round carbine course where the 'off the shelf' wonders seem to fail more than those made properly.

I am curious as to the type of failure in a "multi-thousand round carbine course" you have seen.

My experience has been with off the shelf Colt, RRA, Bushmaster, White Oak, Alexander Arms, and Whitley rifles. They all need to be cleaned from time to time. They all need good mags to feed them.

What are these rifles weak points, or in what way are they made improperly?

Regards.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom