• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    No matter what the gun is get the mesa side saddles. yes they are pricy and yes they are heavy but they work. REally really work. It took over 2yrs for my 6 shells to get to loose for comfort. I pulled them out for about two week and presto tight as they were new. 8months and still tight this time around.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm not a "shotgun" guy. I don't own one, as I've never trained with one. I've shot pumps before, but never a semi-auto.

If you, the reader, were going to build me a semi-auto shotgun for the purposes of self- and home-defense, what model and accessories would you pick?

A few requirements:

• Barrel must be 18"
    • Must have extended magazine
    • Must be able to mount a micro RDS
    • Must be able to mount a light
    All price points will be considered, from budget to high-end. Bonus points for pictures.

Go!
    Just build a clone of mine.

So far nobody (not even you) mentioned the KNOXX recoil reducing stock. It works. Its a good addition if you are not the only person who will be using the gun. Especially if other family members are smaller than you.

z2.jpg

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I went with the FN SLP. I love everything FN is putting out now so I decided to give it a shot. I got it for $850 used but perfect condition on gunbroker. 6+1 capacity. Removable rear peep site. Rail already mounted to shotgun. Good aftermarket support. Mine came with the mesa rail already attached.

Pictured with my current 3 gun setup.
    DSC_0756-1.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just build a clone of mine.

So far nobody (not even you) mentioned the KNOXX recoil reducing stock. It works. Its a good addition if you are not the only person who will be using the gun. Especially if other family members are smaller than you.

z2.jpg

Just curious. But shouldn't you learn how to run the shotgun properly, learning to control the recoil, instead of relying on machinery?

If you have others who can't take the recoil, maybe get a 20 gauge?

Just curious.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just curious. But shouldn't you learn how to run the shotgun properly, learning to control the recoil, instead of relying on machinery?

If you have others who can't take the recoil, maybe get a 20 gauge?

Just curious.

Well lets see, I'm a former competitive Trap and Sporting Clays shooter. My wife is a former competitive Trap Shooter. We can both manage recoil. But I got this gun for everyone in the home to use, and that includes the "lease common denominator" which is my recoil shy daughter.

Oh, and it is a 20 gauge, which I have consistently recommended for home defense for many years.

So being a 20 gauge, and having a Knoxx stock, it can stay on target for fast follow up shots much easier than any other shotgun I've ever handled.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well lets see, I'm a former competitive Trap and Sporting Clays shooter. My wife is a former competitive Trap Shooter. We can both manage recoil. But I got this gun for everyone in the home to use, and that includes the "lease common denominator" which is my recoil shy daughter.

Oh, and it is a 20 gauge, which I have consistently recommended for home defense for many years.

So being a 20 gauge, and having a Knoxx stock, it can stay on target for fast follow up shots much easier than any other shotgun I've ever handled.

Ok. Like I said I was just curious. I'm new to the shotgun world too, so I'm learning along here. Thanks!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Lots of men buy and build macho 12 gauge guns that their spouse and kids can't even begin to handle . . . but what happens when the man of the house is not home and the SHTF?

I have a 9mm m&p9c and a 20 gauge ready for my wife to use.

The macho stuff is for me :D

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Lots of men buy and build macho 12 gauge guns that their spouse and kids can't even begin to handle . . . but what happens when the man of the house is not home and the SHTF?

If I'm around - I grab this:

xcvt5c.jpg

If they're around - they grab a 410 that looks pretty similar. If that's what they prefer... :D

2mgwpiu.jpg

esrice - you can mount anything you darn well please on them.

For prices, you can set up a decent S12 for about $800-900 - and you can spend as much as you want with all of the toys - like the Chaos Rail on this one. S20's and S410's are cheaper to get. The high prices are due to the recent scare and all of the silliness that went along with it. And of course doing the conversion yourself is the only way to go. If you want to play with cooler ones with breachers/muzzle brakes, etc. tradertator and mammynun are people to talk to as well...

Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Save your money and get a Benelli. I wish I hadn't dumped so much into my 870 and if I had saved a few hundred more, I could have picked up a Super 90 after a few more weeks of saving and it would have been worth it. I thought they were totally hype until I shot crowandcoyote's cousin's shotgun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Interesting answers so far-- thanks!

I refuse to indulge in such flights of fancy until AFTER you get the damn tax stamp for your SBR lower... :):

That's too bad, as I was hoping you'd bring your Saiga 12 perspective. ;)

(and FTR, I've just gotta find time to get downtown and get the ball rolling!)

my choice is a Benelli M1 Super 90.

At first glance it looks like it could be a contender. Is there any known way to shorten the LOP? How long is that barrel? Magazine capacity?

you can set up a decent S12 for about $800-900

Anyone care to comment on the pros/cons of Saiga-pattern shotguns versus the more traditional style in regards to fighting with them?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Interesting answers so far-- thanks!

Anyone care to comment on the pros/cons of Saiga-pattern shotguns versus the more traditional style in regards to fighting with them?

Nope - not enough experience on my part to make an intelligent analysis. My only experience would be at slaying watermelons, etc. Saigas are BRUTALLY effective at that! :D

I wouldn't want to be caught at night anywhere near Casa De [Anyone in this thread] , given the shotties I've seen. I fully expect that ANY of them would do a decent enough job. Beyond that - it's preference city.

Perhaps the only comment would be capacity. It's a trade off. You have bulky mags or drums with a Saiga, but you get 20 shots. Or somewhere in
    between depending on the mag you choose.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    At first glance it looks like it could be a contender. Is there any known way to shorten the LOP? How long is that barrel? Magazine capacity?

You are more than welcome to run some rounds through it!

I hadn't thought about shortening the LOP, it fits me fine.
    But depending on how much, I am sure it could be carefully sanded/whittled/ground down a little bit.

Mine holds (7) 3" magnum rounds of 12 pellet 00 buck.

Let me know if you want to shoot it.

ALSO, I purchased a new tac light for it last night, a Fenix TK21 XM-L U2 468 lumens can't wait to mount that up.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    There is a way to shorten length of pull. There was a company, I think in the Indy area that could shorten the stock, a google search should work. I think read about that on the 10-8 forums, but cant remember because it was so pricey, that I disregarded the idea. Also with the Benelli system, you have to be carefull with things like side saddles and lights. Weight in the wrong places can cause malfunctions as they are inertia operated. Also if the side saddle is put on too tightly that can cause malfunctions. The manual of arms for the Benelli is also different and takes some training. That said I like my Benelli for range/fun. It is a slick shooting shotgun. But for serious use it is the 870.

Top Bottom