• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not a "shotgun" guy. I don't own one, as I've never trained with one. I've shot pumps before, but never a semi-auto.

If you, the reader, were going to build me a semi-auto shotgun for the purposes of self- and home-defense, what model and accessories would you pick?

A few requirements:

• Barrel must be 18"
    • Must have extended magazine
    • Must be able to mount a micro RDS
    • Must be able to mount a light
    All price points will be considered, from budget to high-end. Bonus points for pictures.

Go!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I have a sling shot! O bet u can trow a slug with that... haa jk

Fail for not including a picture! :xmad:

sling-shot.jpg

:laugh:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Right now you can buy an 11-87 brand new at dicks for $500. I picked one up tonight, but mine will be for clays. If I wanted to make it tactical an 18" barrel and extended mag would be another 200 - 250. To drill and tap would a gunsmithing fee of $50 probably.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    The 1100 sounds good, and probably what I would go with.
    41868.jpg

For accessories I would go with some sort of side saddle like this:
    sureshell8.jpg

or even this cause it would give you a rail and a side saddle:
    197.jpg

(fits the 1100 too)

and then a Mesa stock like this:
    LEOwSwivel%20pp.jpg

you could then mount the light in a vtac off the top rail or in an elzetta mount.

Just what I put together in my head real quick.
    Shotgun from your picture above, and all other parts from TSG

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    For the money, which is not at the bottom and not at the top of the price range, my choice is a Benelli M1 Super 90.
    They can usually be found between 750.00 - 850.00, to me (IMHO) there is no finer shooting shotgun that "I" have ever owned!

All I did to mine was ad a Fenix 280 lumens light with a pressure switch and a single point sling. It will hold (7) 3" and (8) 2 3/4" 12ga rounds of total devastation.

It is a bad Mofo!
    :twocents:

benelli.jpg

dscn1026e.jpg

dscn1030tj.jpg

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    My vote goes to the Mossburg 930 SPX. Picked one up from TSG when I returned from Afghan last November and have been beating the crap out of it since. I actually left it in the Bed of one of the trucks back during the rains in May/June for a couple of weeks. It rusted up a little, not as bad as I was expecting though. Far less rust than my Uncles 1187 that was in the Truck Cab. Emptied the Magazine on a couple of stray canines, and trimmed some Mulberry Trees out of the Fence while I was using it. Took it back in the shop and oiled it up inside and out.

My only complaints are the the Market is a pain to find accessories for it, and it does not really like low brass shells at all...

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My vote goes to the Mossburg 930 SPX. Picked one up from TSG when I returned from Afghan last November and have been beating the crap out of it since. I actually left it in the Bed of one of the trucks back during the rains in May/June for a couple of weeks. It rusted up a little, not as bad as I was expecting though. Far less rust than my Uncles 1187 that was in the Truck Cab. Emptied the Magazine on a couple of stray canines, and trimmed some Mulberry Trees out of the Fence while I was using it. Took it back in the shop and oiled it up inside and out.

My only complaints are the the Market is a pain to find accessories for it, and it does not really like low brass shells at all...

Meh. Mossbergs are for people who can't handle the power of Remington :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As far as an Economy Light option for a SA Shotgun, mount a Picatanny Rail onto the Fore end and put a Pistol Light on it...

Also not all SA Shotguns like having a Side Saddle mounted on them, some get very finicky...

Top Bottom