• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Our teams can work together, talk to one another, even see each other if they want to using Microsoft Teams. I literally can't think of a single thing that I can do in the office that I can't do from home.
    Humans are social creatures and learn through socialization.

I will try an example.

You overhear newbie one telling newbie two something that in your experience is wrong and or damaging to a project, at the coke machine. You can help them, notify the manager to help them, this kind of teaching has been a constant for years. This type of connections are not possible WFH.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is a package I received a while ago. Note my driveway and the county road I live on in the first…my covered porch conveniently located next to the drive in the second. The truck was gone when the delivery was made, opening up that part of the drive right next to the porch.

View attachment 225597 View attachment 225598
    Yeah. That concrete pad in my picture is in front of my open garage door.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I will try an example.

You overhear newbie one telling newbie two something that in your experience is wrong and or damaging to a project, at the coke machine. You can help them, notify the manager to help them, this kind of teaching has been a constant for years. This type of connections are not possible WFH.
    I've never been in the habit of actively "overhearing" coworkers, but if on shared communications, or through individual communication, I can do the same. Correct them, notify the manager (but it would have to be extremely egregious for that to happen), etc.. With Teams, Skype or Zoom it's literally like sitting around a conference table.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They are, but it seems much harder to see who isn't doing their job when no one is in the office. With experienced teams this works, and likely works better than having them in the office. The point of teams is to elevate all individuals and get better work. I have little confidence that a WFH team could be assembled and elevate all, and newbies can be thrown on your team and get the growth they would get in an office environment…
    Nonsense. All you see in the office is if the person is sitting at their desk. That is no more an indication of their not sitting at their desk is a sign they are not working.

One of the main responsibilities is teaching younger team members how to do things. It's actually easier to do remotely with Teams or Webex. We can share a screen and I can remotely control their PC if needed. This also allows me to have more than one person watching, without trying to cram everyone into a cubicle to stare at a screen.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    They are, but it seems much harder to see who isn't doing their job when no one is in the office. With experienced teams this works, and likely works better than having them in the office. The point of teams is to elevate all individuals and get better work. I have little confidence that a WFH team could be assembled and elevate all, and newbies can be thrown on your team and get the growth they would get in an office environment…

The point of teams is what you say, plus to break people into small enough groups for managers to handle. Flat organizations are a nightmare, which is why they are almost non-existent.

I will try an example.

I agree with you about new employees. WFH is difficult for them and companies should look to hire experienced workers for WFH positions.

Something that you don't say which is also valid is, rumors are somewhat double edged swords. While you might overhear something positive in the office that is beneficial, you could also hear negative information which could lead to rumors and lead to poor morale. Or you could misconstrue what you overheard which could lead to problems. One good thing about WFH is that information is usually output through "official" channels

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nonsense. All you see in the office is if the person is sitting at their desk. That is no more an indication of their not sitting at their desk is a sign they are not working.

One of the main responsibilities is teaching younger team members how to do things. It's actually easier to do remotely with Teams or Webex. We can share a screen and I can remotely control their PC if needed. This also allows me to have more than one person watching, without trying to cram everyone into a cubicle to stare at a screen.

Or get a conference room, which is usually at a premium and scheduled days or weeks in advance. Not so with Teams or WebEx.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    :thumbsup:

I have a very similar sized trailer for the miniature house...but it is slowly returning to the ground from whence it came.
    This one is actually a lot better structurally than it looks. We took it to Valpo trailer when we got it to have it checked out, and he was amazed at the shape it was in.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Love the discussion! This thread would be great if the thread title was descriptive of it. :nono: We are overrun with click-bait thread titles these days, that tell nothing of content. :xmad:

Sorry for the rant... :ranton:

:twocents:

..........................................................................................

FedEx is not the greatest example of the state of our poor economy. They have been circling the drain for years, totally oblivious to the expensive/bad service they deliver, mostly through nonchalant contractors in rented Budget trucks.

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Same here... You can tell speaking with some of our users that their life/work balance is much better WFH.

Employee satisfaction is definitely higher and I totally get it. My job satisfaction would be through the roof if I had to work less and got paid the same :)

In regard to productivity of WFH compared to in office, when we sent everyone home in March of 2020, productivity spiked. I think people were excited to be able to work from home (pandemic aside) and wanted to prove that it was viable but as time went on and most things have gotten back to normal including everyone's schedules outside of work, the productivity has slowly been falling lower and lower and is now lower than it was before the spike.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    FX must have changed a lot since the 90s, at my old job they were far higher in package care than UPS.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Employee satisfaction is definitely higher and I totally get it. My job satisfaction would be through the roof if I had to work less and got paid the same :)

In regard to productivity of WFH compared to in office, when we sent everyone home in March of 2020, productivity spiked. I think people were excited to be able to work from home (pandemic aside) and wanted to prove that it was viable but as time went on and most things have gotten back to normal including everyone's schedules outside of work, the productivity has slowly been falling lower and lower and is now lower than it was before the spike.
    I have said before that there was also a fear of the pandemic and if jobs may be lost so that factored into productivity also. The outside schedules becoming normal was not som I had thought of.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have said before that there was also a fear of the pandemic and if jobs may be lost so that factored into productivity also. The outside schedules becoming normal was not som I had thought of.
    Yes that is absolutely true too. There were a lot of job losses and I think every company was very concerned about their revenues. We faired OK. Many did not.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I still say this shows that management needs to get their hands around productivity and what each employee should contribute. Without that knowledge, whether the employee is working remotely or in the office, you can't really know who is affecting the drop in productivity.

Also, could there be a morale issue? Could it be the direction our nation and our economy is heading? Inflation? Other factors? Do you know it's due to WFH?

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I still say this shows that management needs to get their hands around productivity and what each employee should contribute. Without that knowledge, whether the employee is working remotely or in the office, you can't really know who is affecting the drop in productivity.

Also, could there be a morale issue? Could it be the direction our nation and our economy is heading? Inflation? Other factors? Do you know it's due to WFH?

Of course not. Nothing is that simple. Correlation doesn't equal causation and all that. We're all just trying to figure it out but there are definitely indicators.

tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    Kudos to McMaster-Carr. I ordered something from them about an hour ago. Just got a text saying they just shipped it and I will receive it tomorrow (UPS). :thumbsup:

Top Bottom