• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Got my stands up over the weekend and camera for last 3 weeks shows one little buck and a few does, not encouraging. But I don't get excited until end of Oct early Nov. Need to take a couple shots with the crossbow to check. Good luck guys.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Went out Saturday morning. Busted a deer out of the field on my way to the stand, too dark to tell what it was. Figured my morning was ruined, but pressed on hoping my brother would be luckier. Went about another 30 yards and saw a dark spot on the ground, kicked my light on and, SKUNK! Slowly went around him, thankfully that was all there was.
    Made it to my stand without further incident. Saw nothing, not even a squirrel. My brother texts me, “just got busted by a huge 8”. So far this isn’t going to good.
    My best friend had texted earlier so I reply. We are having a discussing bible verses and he sends me a picture of his wife in New York at dinner. I send him a short video of my view from the stand. I tell him haven’t seen anything but that I will take the woods over the city anytime.
    Within 10 minutes this guy comes through the woods 10 yards from my stand. No shot, too many limbs and brush. I watch him make his way in the general direction of my brother, so I text him to let him know. About 5 minutes later he starts back my way. Still no shot. He hits a clearing and starts to quarter away. Now or never. Having not killed a buck with the crossbow I decide to take him. I let one fly. Felt like I pulled the shot. I immediately hear thunder. Well I don’t guess I can wait to give him time, if the rain starts there goes my blood.
    I hit the ground and find blood. I decide with the rain starting to go to the field edge and pick up blood there. I scan the field and there he is. He traveled about 100 yards with clean triangular hole through his heart.
    So blessed to have taken him and had a great conversation about Jesus.

Attachments

• 6A15B284-73C2-44F2-AFE2-55CE3562E725.jpeg
      6A15B284-73C2-44F2-AFE2-55CE3562E725.jpeg
      2.5 MB · Views: 29

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Went out Saturday morning. Busted a deer out of the field on my way to the stand, too dark to tell what it was. Figured my morning was ruined, but pressed on hoping my brother would be luckier. Went about another 30 yards and saw a dark spot on the ground, kicked my light on and, SKUNK! Slowly went around him, thankfully that was all there was.
    Made it to my stand without further incident. Saw nothing, not even a squirrel. My brother texts me, “just got busted by a huge 8”. So far this isn’t going to good.
    My best friend had texted earlier so I reply. We are having a discussing bible verses and he sends me a picture of his wife in New York at dinner. I send him a short video of my view from the stand. I tell him haven’t seen anything but that I will take the woods over the city anytime.
    Within 10 minutes this guy comes through the woods 10 yards from my stand. No shot, too many limbs and brush. I watch him make his way in the general direction of my brother, so I text him to let him know. About 5 minutes later he starts back my way. Still no shot. He hits a clearing and starts to quarter away. Now or never. Having not killed a buck with the crossbow I decide to take him. I let one fly. Felt like I pulled the shot. I immediately hear thunder. Well I don’t guess I can wait to give him time, if the rain starts there goes my blood.
    I hit the ground and find blood. I decide with the rain starting to go to the field edge and pick up blood there. I scan the field and there he is. He traveled about 100 yards with clean triangular hole through his heart.
    So blessed to have taken him and had a great conversation about Jesus.
    Its called hunting Jesus's grocery store, a co-worker told me that once and got a good chuckle. Congrats.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I am just getting into the game of bows this year. I’m obviously off late this season but didn’t plan on going out until next year. I’d like to practice and get good before I start slinging arrows at deer. I bought a used Bear Species RTH(LH) for a fraction of a new one. I went to cabelas and purchased a case, release(tru-ball). It has a trophy ridge 4 pin, biscuit, stabilizer.. etc... I do believe my draw length is 27/27,1/2. My question for the avid bow hunter is... where a good archery shop..? I need to make sure that the bow is G2G, my draw length is good and I’d like to size up some arrows with the correct weight.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I am just getting into the game of bows this year. I’m obviously off late this season but didn’t plan on going out until next year. I’d like to practice and get good before I start slinging arrows at deer. I bought a used Bear Species RTH(LH) for a fraction of a new one. I went to cabelas and purchased a case, release(tru-ball). It has a trophy ridge 4 pin, biscuit, stabilizer.. etc... I do believe my draw length is 27/27,1/2. My question for the avid bow hunter is... where a good archery shop..? I need to make sure that the bow is G2G, my draw length is good and I’d like to size up some arrows with the correct weight.
    Accuracy Unlimited in Seymour or The Outdoorsman in Greenwood. Those are the only two I know of.
    I will be replacing my string before next season, so I am interested too.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Bass & Bucks is worth the drive (an hour each way) for me whether I'm buying or having my bow adjusted.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I also learned of a brick and mortar place in Hillsboro. I plan on going this week. I’ve been told this guy is legit and knows his stuff. Dead end Archery.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Mark will definitely be able to help you out at Dead End Archery. I have my own press and equipment so I do everything myself. If I didn't, I would take it there.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Mark will definitely be able to help you out at Dead End Archery. I have my own press and equipment so I do everything myself. If I didn't, I would take it there.
    I went to Mark three days ago. He said well gimme what you got, he took it disappeared for about 15 minutes came back with the bow and some cut arrows. He said take some shots, see what you think. We spent some time on his indoor range. I learned a lot!! That guy is impressive.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Quick update since a few weeks ago. I have a friend who’s been teaching/coaching me on the basics of shooting a bow accurately and consistent. I’m at 20 yards and consistently hitting the LLH spot on a target deer. I have had a few stray off target but those were shooter errors. I will also say that 30/45 minutes of practice wears me out and I’m a stout guy that is in pretty good shape. I’m using muscles I’ve never felt. It’s pretty fun to be honest. I will not be hunting this season as I’m not confident enough. I don’t feel like I need to be out there slinging arrows and getting bad hits on deer. I’d like to know that I’m getting kill shots and not just wounding deer. Seems unsportsmanlike to me.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quick update since a few weeks ago. I have a friend who’s been teaching/coaching me on the basics of shooting a bow accurately and consistent. I’m at 20 yards and consistently hitting the LLH spot on a target deer. I have had a few stray off target but those were shooter errors. I will also say that 30/45 minutes of practice wears me out and I’m a stout guy that is in pretty good shape. I’m using muscles I’ve never felt. It’s pretty fun to be honest. I will not be hunting this season as I’m not confident enough. I don’t feel like I need to be out there slinging arrows and getting bad hits on deer. I’d like to know that I’m getting kill shots and not just wounding deer. Seems unsportsmanlike to me.
    Tuning is crucial to get a dead on accurate bow. I thought I was tuned up until I started stretching out to 60-80 in preparation for an elk hunt last year. I wasn’t. I Paper and walk back tuned with broadheads and now I can put a group in a 6 inch circle at 80.

Slick tricks are easiest to tune IMO and very deadly.

Hoosierdaddy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2015
    Camby
    I finally got out on Monday and they was definitely on their feet. Farmer is having his woods logged and sure that has help some. I’m retired and only go on nice days, anymore. So I was waiting for weather to cool down.
    Mosquitos have been so bad, I didn’t want to fight them.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Tuning is crucial to get a dead on accurate bow. I thought I was tuned up until I started stretching out to 60-80 in preparation for an elk hunt last year. I wasn’t. I Paper and walk back tuned with broadheads and now I can put a group in a 6 inch circle at 80.

Slick tricks are easiest to tune IMO and very deadly.
    I’m definitely not ready for 80, I’d have to arch that arrow like a potato gun going 500 yards!!!

Top Bottom