• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Have at it, I'm driving 3 hours to watch the race, not carry my rifle around outside the stands.

I get it Nascar is evil because they aren't going to air ads with AR-15's in them anymore. I honestly don't recall seeing any of these ads anyway, and no other sport does that I know of. I see it as more of them getting out of the gun debate then being anti gun.

Really, it's not even that. The ads were for their programs at the races. Just heard that clarified on the news recently. I was thinking the same as you, that I didn't remember ever seeing a commercial for a gun company during any races.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think changing qualifications to today hurt them this year. The rain today is going to hurt even more. I’ll be there hoping to at least see some racing.
    Hopefully they get it in without any rain delays. Probably gonna be flipping back and forth between the race and the Colts game once it starts around 4:00.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think changing qualifications to today hurt them this year. The rain today is going to hurt even more. I’ll be there hoping to at least see some racing.

I live 10 blocks directly north of the 4th turn gates. This race used to be as big as the 500 but not a single car in sight. No lines. No yards full of cars. It is just damned sad.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I live 10 blocks directly north of the 4th turn gates. This race used to be as big as the 500 but not a single car in sight. No lines. No yards full of cars. It is just damned sad.

I remember driving in for the race about 6am and the roads were already packed. My sister lived off shadeland and i would stay at her house for the weekend. Would come in Thursday night and hit the track friday for practice, Saturday the iroc race and qualifying, and busch race at irp. Then the big day. I had a guy who got to know me and saved me a spot in his yard by turn 3. Only have to walk about 10 minutes to be in the gate. Wall to wall people by 9am. Over 1/4 million people. Now lucky if they can get 100k to show up. Its sad.
    I may just tune in briefly to see how empty the stands are. I sat for 10 years straight in turn 3. Last years race i could count the number of fans on 1 hand sitting from turn 2 down the backstretch and all thru turn 3. They could probably just remove all those stands and sell them like a bunch of other tracks have done, but seems they still do need them for the Indy500

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I remember driving in for the race about 6am and the roads were already packed. My sister lived off shadeland and i would stay at her house for the weekend. Would come in Thursday night and hit the track friday for practice, Saturday the iroc race and qualifying, and busch race at irp. Then the big day. I had a guy who got to know me and saved me a spot in his yard by turn 3. Only have to walk about 10 minutes to be in the gate. Wall to wall people by 9am. Over 1/4 million people. Now lucky if they can get 100k to show up. Its sad.
    I may just tune in briefly to see how empty the stands are. I sat for 10 years straight in turn 3. Last years race i could count the number of fans on 1 hand sitting from turn 2 down the backstretch and all thru turn 3. They could probably just remove all those stands and sell them like a bunch of other tracks have done, but seems they still do need them for the Indy500

i just heard that only 22,000 tickets have been sold for this years race.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    That would be cool, and run it at night !

I wish nascar would hold a 24 hour race like the 24 hour at Daytona. I think it was jr who had a discussion about it, but each team would get 1 car and the drivers for that team would swap drivers. Then we could get back to making the driver/equipment out perform the others. It would be more exciting than this stage bs and follow the leader races like the brickyard.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wish nascar would hold a 24 hour race like the 24 hour at Daytona. I think it was jr who had a discussion about it, but each team would get 1 car and the drivers for that team would swap drivers. Then we could get back to making the driver/equipment out perform the others. It would be more exciting than this stage bs and follow the leader races like the brickyard.

The brickyard is always going to be follow the leader. That track is just not for this series.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I have absolutely no interest in NASCAR, but I would watch a 24 hour race. How much does the field slim down from collisions and breakage in a regular 500 mile race? 40%? It would be really cool to see these guys actually have to play the truly long game with their equipment.

Top Bottom