• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    Friend of mine is looking for a pocket pistol and after doing some research she is wanting a s&w bodyguard 380. Problem is cant seem to find them in around this area. Figured I'd ask here and see if anyone knows of any funstores that have them? Also any personal experiences with the bodyguard positive or negative?

Azbsn1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I did not like the Bodyguard at all!! In all fairness I'm also not a fan of .380s either. I had a couple failure to feeds and accuracy was terrible. I would probably continue to look at other guns AND I would steer toward a 9mm. Hope this helps.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have had the opposite experience. I have had two (sold one to a buddy) and was well aware of their early teething pains before I bought mine, so I made sure that I was buying models post firing pin, takedown pin and laser button problems. Based on my research, that needs to be post EBBxxxx. Since then I have put a couple hundred (probably close to 500) rounds through it, of SD hollow point, FMJ and my own reloads and haven't had any problems at all. In fact, with its "real" sights (unlike the guttersnipe sights on almost all other .380), I have found it really damn accurate. I used it to shoot a bowling pin match at MCFG for shots and giggles, and although it didn't do a very good job at all of knocking pins off tables, the accuracy at 10-12 yards or whatever we shoot at was spot on. No trouble hitting a 4" pin. So I carry one as a back up gun. I don't ever use the laser; the sights are faster for me, but I can say I'm well pleased with the two examples I've had. Trigger pull is 7 miles long and 142 pounds, but for a pocket gun I'm ok with that.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Try and find a range or somebody that has one and make sure she shoots it before she buys it. I hear "I bought it because it looks good on paper, people say it's a good gun but when I shot it, I don't like this or that." I would hate for you to go through all the trouble of tracking one down and then sell it right after the first trip to the range. Just my:twocents:

Also try the Sig .380

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    ☝Can't argue with that. If I hadn't gotten the Bodyguards for such steals I'd probably be carrying the SIG P238 (or a Colt Mustang) as my BUG.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    I did not like the Bodyguard at all!! In all fairness I'm also not a fan of .380s either. I had a couple failure to feeds and accuracy was terrible. I would probably continue to look at other guns AND I would steer toward a 9mm. Hope this helps.
    looking for a pocket pistol so kinda limited to 380 and going by reviews the bodyguard seemed to be the best handling and reliable. Just haven't had much luck finding one.

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm next on a waiting list for one but I HATE the feel of it. I hate when my fingers are off the end of the magazine. 95% of the reviews Ive read are all positive but if it doesn't feel good then....My other choice is a Ruger which felt much better and is about 100 bucks cheaper and still a great gun. I want one for the soul purpose of when I ride my motorcycle and can put something small on my ankle, my PK 380 is way too big to use and be comfortable.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I had one. Loved the ergonomics, size, weight and look fo the gun. Shooting it was OK too, but not great. In the end, I just did not feel comfortable with the .380 as a personal defense round. With the ample amount of options for pocket 9mm, I decided to upgrade to a Sig Sauer P290 for my CCW.

For someone who is not comfortable carrying a 9mm, I would recommend it.

valmoth

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've got one. Like it (but don't love it). Trigger pull is too long. But accurate and reliable for a pocket gun. About 200 rounds through it.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    its a good pocket gun, it dos not have a good trigger though, ive shot 3 different ones and never seen a jam, not very accurate untill u get used to the long trigger pull, but it makes a good pocket gun, i would also consiter a sig 238 938 or a colt mustang pocketlite which is my choice.

Underdogg39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I'm not a fan of the bodyguard, trigger pull is to long, not an accurate shooter, and had a few jambs. She should def shoot one first if possible before purchasing. My wife loves the bersa 380 and she's lights out with it.

Blondie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Get what you pay for. Not a bad gun to slip into pocket,but make sure you shoot one before you buy one.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    When my wife isnt carrying her LCR, there is a good chance she has her BG380 with her. She has grown to prefer her wheel gun, but likes the flat little .380 when the revolver just isnt a good fit.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    i shot my BIL's bg380 yesterday. more controllable and less flip than my keltec 380. although, slightly more bulk/wt.

not for nothing, but i just don't see a woman pocket carrying given the size of pockets on women's jeans these days.

has a safety and slide stop though which the ladies may like???

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    As others have stated early SN BG380's had teething problems. Those issues have all been addressed.

I've had one for over a year and shot a few hundred rounds through it with no problems. The laser is dead on within a SD range of 10 feet. Sure the trigger is a long DAO but the BG is a SD pocket .380. It does very well for its design.

Try a later/current SN version for yourself and see if it fits your needs. I carry Hornady CD in mine. Never had a jam or FTF or FTE.

Dry firing and regular use will smooth up the trigger.

Try putting a Hogue Handall Jr. on the grip. It will fatten the grip up just a bit and the Hogue rubber will help a lot.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    She ended up just going with the lcp. So far she likes it and its a great little gun. Might have to get one for myself lol. Thanks for the advice

dirtdigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    Try putting a Hogue Handall Jr. on the grip. It will fatten the grip up just a bit and the Hogue rubber will help a lot.

This worked very well for me.
    I carry the BG380 often in the summer time in cargo shorts. I don't mind the long trigger pull, just need to practice with it.
    It's very accurate for its size. I honestly never use the laser.
    I have a Ruger LCP and find the BG380 much easier to shoot, not nearly as snappy on recoil.

Top Bottom