Bob Rohrman's in Fort Wayne sucks...avoid at all costs...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think you're taking it wrong. The lesson that people are trying to enforce (so others may learn) is that independent inspections should be done before signing. Just like a house, the seller will rarely admit to problems with the hopes that the buyer misses them until after closing.

Bingo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't know - 92,000 miles on a 2005 seems good to me.

Not in a Race Horse. That would make me put it on a lift and look around. But I have access to such things and the skill sets to know what I am looking at. Has the bell housing been off.....sometimes easy to tell and other times not. Missing fasteners is a real red flag. Looking over the exhaust for obvious signs it has had headers is the same thing. Rear pinion seal should be dry with this mileage but will be wet if it has been beaten down.

The ECU issue would throw a huge flag. Just so many things here.

Again, not a knock on the OP. He liked the car and wanted it enough to spend 5 hours beating on the sales staff. After an hour I would have left the building. But that is just me.

There are a butt load of great cars out there not on a lot. Again, just me.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I wish you luck. Indiana lemon laws are written to protect the dealer. I went through something similar when I bought my Grand Cherokee from Hubler Dodge here in Indy.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    And again...your referring to different things that didn't come to light until after the car went into the dealership....I had no idea the ecu was flashed until after the papers were signed. When I test drive it it had no cel so nothing to tell me to check codes...

I agree with what your saying...and yea maybe I should have had another shop look at it. I'm not a dummy when it comes to cars but I don't have access to a lift at my leisure. Wish I did...I knew it had a slave put on it and some other normal stuff according to the Carfax.... Slave cylinder and even a clutch at 92k on a mustang isn't exactly uncommon. I'm not taking it wrong at all....I understand where you guys are going with an independent inspection...but my choice in the type of vehicle is a personal choice... That's like telling a guy not to carry a semi auto and he should be carrying a wheel gun just because that's your feeling.... Well...different strokes for different folks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And again...your referring to different things that didn't come to light until after the car went into the dealership....I had no idea the ecu was flashed until after the papers were signed. When I test drive it it had no cel so nothing to tell me to check codes...

I agree with what your saying...and yea maybe I should have had another shop look at it. I'm not a dummy when it comes to cars but I don't have access to a lift at my leisure. Wish I did...I knew it had a slave put on it and some other normal stuff according to the Carfax.... Slave cylinder and even a clutch at 92k on a mustang isn't exactly uncommon. I'm not taking it wrong at all....I understand where you guys are going with an independent inspection...but my choice in the type of vehicle is a personal choice... That's like telling a guy not to carry a semi auto and he should be carrying a wheel gun just because that's your feeling.... Well...different strokes for different folks.

That you chose this car is seriously way cool in my book. I am no Blue oval guy but my neighbor has one and it is fun to drive. I get it.
    I also know how most folks drive the 3 peddle cars as I am in the car world pretty deeply so I am suspicious.
    My reference to lifts etc was just my view on how life works for me. Sorry, not intended to belittle. I have just surrounded myself with car people my whole life. They also make great gun people for the most part.

My point on the ECU is at that time the fireworks would be going off in my head. The investigation would have been full on at that point. Most likely the ECU was needed to match up to the scrap yard engine. There might be differences as year etc.

Seriously, it sucks you have been caught up in a stealership generated scam which is what this is.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How am I the one in the wrong here and on trial by you guys?... The car was not advertised as modified...I found all that out after the fact... The car was advertised as a clean low mileage car...the price reflected as much. There were some clues yes....and maybe I should have looked it over a bit closer...but what was done here by the dealer is completely wrong. There is no way to spin that otherwise.

Sure the dealer was wrong. That doesn't change the fact you're the one left holding the bag and doing all the work to clean this up. It also doesn't change the fact an independent inspection up front would have probably kept you from buying the headache you're now dealing with.

I had to lemon out an '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee for electrical issues. It sucks, it's frustrating, and it's time consuming. It's like being hurt in a car wreck when the other guy ran a stop sign, even if you were in the right you're still the one in pain.

.but my choice in the type of vehicle is a personal choice... That's like telling a guy not to carry a semi auto and he should be carrying a wheel gun just because that's your feeling.... Well...different strokes for different folks.

You're missing the point. Inspection of a used Sig P226 and inspection of a used S&W model 19 are different. I don't care which you buy, and happen to own both. (For the record, I also own a Camaro SS, so I'm not bashing you for buying a sports car). However when you do elect to buy a sports car, the need to look it over closely, pull code history, etc. is way more important than buying Granny Gizfidget's used Mercury Grand Marquis. If you buy a used Super Duty, you better look real close at the front suspension, etc, etc.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    You missed the point of my statement. I'm not arguing inspection....what I'm saying is in response to trigger time's comment... My choice of vehicle is exactly that...just because it doesn't fit into someone else's perfect world doesn't mean it's a wrong choice. Fact remains I got hosed.... How would this conversation be any different if it was a Chevy truck...or a VW beetle...or a Chrysler 200? The answer is that It wouldn't be....

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You missed the point of my statement. I'm not arguing inspection....what I'm saying is in response to trigger time's comment... My choice of vehicle is exactly that...just because it doesn't fit into someone else's perfect world doesn't mean it's a wrong choice. Fact remains I got hosed.... How would this conversation be any different if it was a Chevy truck...or a VW beetle...or a Chrysler 200? The answer is that It wouldn't be....

But you went and bought a sports car with 92,000 miles (so we know it's had the **** drove out of it being a sports type car)

You can complain about his delivery...but he was right. Your odds of getting a thrashed vehicle is higher with a Mustang than with a VW Beetle, 200, etc. and when you start out saying you were looking for reliability, there's a disconnect. Chevy truck, maybe. When I bought used trucks, the first thing I looked for was a brake controller. Signs of heavy towing = nope. Suspension mods/oversized tires = nope. Hillbillied up shifter, steering wheel, pedal replacement, after market gauges = nope. The type of vehicle matters if you want to admit it to yourself or not.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll use your gun analogy...

If I was buying a stock Glock from Granny Smith and she said she hardly used it, I'd take a quick look.

If I was buying a race gun from someone, I'd have someone more experienced go through the whole thing.

Yes, the dealer pulled a dick move, but you didn't cover your own ass. Is the dealer at fault? Absolutely, and I wouldn't give them my business. Are you also at fault? Yup. Unfortunately, you're probably going to get the more expensive lesson. Sorry.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Race gun? Come on....

Wow....this is why I lurk and don't post much....

How am I supposed to cover my own ass...was I supposed to go have the car torn down to component parts to not pick every piece? Not likely...

It's amazing how many armchair quarterbacks here are so quick to pass judgement.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No, you don't post here very often because you expect everyone to jump on board with you. When it doesn't go your way, you complain.

I'll make it very simple...

The dealer is in the wrong.
    So are you.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How am I supposed to cover my own ass...

I don't know...
    Aren't there buildings out there that have car lifts and people that work on cars for a living? I can't remember what they're called, but I know you can pay them some money and they'll look at cars and tell you if there's anything wrong with them.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Wow....this is why I like and don't post much....

f7c08977fadf0fb06b33a21125ce1447.jpg

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    When you let your little head make decisions instead of your big head you can have issues, even when you know better. Usually worse when one is younger. All of us have had it happen and most will admit to it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom