• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • briand212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Putnam County IN
    I had to swing into wally world in Avon a few hours ago to pick up our final preps, that place was a zoo!! It looked like the apocalypse was scheduled to begin at 0700 tomorrow

my preps,, 1 gallon of chocolate milk, eggs and a pizza.

(Chocolate milk for the kid, eggs for whatever and pizza for me,)
    wife has everything else covered..

Just wondering what everyone else stocked up on

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Just picked up some soup/chili/crackers for holdover food. Work is already having call offs so looks like 12-16 hr shifts for Sun-Tues. People un employed and these seasoned employees are calling off? Nitwits. Don't want to get out of the Lazy Boy, and put on clothes and hit the work scene. Oh well, I'll be there I guess.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    I hit the bank this morning, thought it might do to have a little more cash on hand.
    Picked up some fresh fuel in case I need to run what I already had through the generator,
    and bird seed. (for the little guys that don't leave for the Winter months)

On a side note, Iv'e not seen mentioned leaving a trickle of water running at a faucet
    when the temps. drop to prevent meter freezing.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Did my usual Sunday shopping a day early and was surprised at the devastation wrought by the crowds. No milk to speak of at Meijer, or salad or beef or chicken and the place looked like a wreck. Walmart wasn't much better, but at least they still had stuff on their shelves. Hoosiers sure are a weird bunch.
    1505121_10151915398138041_1146089265_n.jpg

1535522_10151915398263041_1941967151_n.jpg

1521739_10151915398503041_1324352961_n.jpg

Took forever to get out of my local Meijer. Can't help but think about what things would be like in a real emergency. 8-12"'s of snow? Sheesh. That's nothing, folks.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't think it's the snow that worries most folks, but the cold that will follow it. Those kinds of temps can make a simple trip to the store an ordeal so folks are panicking. We did our weekly shopping a day early on Friday, but that's about it for our grocery preps. We have everything we need already. I don't really understand the heavy stocking just before a storm. At worst, it could be tough to get around for a couple of days but everyone should have that covered anyway. I think storms like this are a great way to judge just how unprepared folks are in general.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I was born in Milwaukee and grew up in Michigan City/ Gary area. I grinned like an idiot just letting people go in front of me, since I just had dog food, so I could watch the show!!

Bob

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    What am I missing? We are supposed to get 6-10 inched of snow. It really isn't a big deal.

Thank you! I have been saying this all day. It's not the end of the world. I understand it's going to get cold but there's ways to warm up.

The media hyping it up. Winter Storm Warnings, New Flash on TV, etc. Must be a weather persons dream with everyone listening to them for once.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    If those of is in NWI panicked every time we got a few inches of snow, or 3 days of sub zero temperatures we would never get anything else done.
    I'm from NorthCentral Indiana originally. What the news is predicting is worse as far as temps go then I have seen a long while
    The media hyping it up. Winter Storm Warnings, New Flash on TV, etc. Must be a weather persons dream with everyone listening to them for once.
    that's it exactly. media hype.

I got bread and dog food. Only things I was out of and I didn't wait until it was to late to do either.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    So, for a long time I assumed that everyone had a good supply of food in there cabinets that they could probably eat off of for several weeks to a month. Then I was at a neighbors house and I was seriously shocked at the lack of food in the cabinets. It wasn't because they couldn't afford food, it was just that they would only get food for a few days at a time. I am thinking What?????? You have kids that depend on you, what if something happened?? Maybe they think that since they live close to a store that they could just go get stuff, but the above pictures really re-enforce my thoughts on being prepared. I would not want to leave my house if people were scared of something uncertain if this is what they do when they know it will warm back up soon. Of course, I sometimes wish I didn't have to leave the house all winter!!! lol

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    The cold, plus the -50 degree windchills, plus the 30mph wind driving around snow will make travel very difficult. I think people are prudent to plan on being homebound for three days (storm arrives by sunrise Sunday) either due to travel restrictions or simply being too cold to want to get out (and cars not starting). I think the interesting thing will be how the infrastructure handles the cold.

While I am glad to see people getting prepared, if people were better prepared, they could just top off their supplies, rather than getting a big pile of stuff... much of which will need to be cooked, which is hard to do when you have no power...

We got some apples and fresh veggies, made a big bowl of quinoa, checked our power failure supplies, and are ready to decrease the square footage of the house by 2/3s.

Top Bottom