34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I was one of the original crowdfunding individuals when they were just starting up. After Amazon bought them, the popularity soared. I have had several versions and upgrades. I whole heartedly endorse the product. Range for the connectivity is good…support for product is amazing. The batteries really do last approx. 1year with heavy use. Alerts that are pushed to my phone are timely. The system can be tailored in many ways…. Length of video capture, voice back and forth is also good. Video quality is very sharp and clear. I was grandfathered in so no subscription for me… a big plus.
    I have 4 indoor and 3 outdoor cameras, a synch module and the doorbell camera. All are made well, stand up to the elements…. Not having a wired system allows flexible placement for the cameras.
    just my experience…. But it is good experience

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I got a great deal on them during Prime Days this week. Installation was super easy, which is great for someone like me who isn’t handy. All you do is put the batteries in, scan the QR code, put the mount wherever you’re want it, and stick the camera up. The screws they provide are pretty cheap and strip out easily, so maybe supply your own.

The camera quality is pretty good, though it lags occasionally. Motion detection seems to work well, and the IR for darkness is adequate. The app is really user-friendly and customizable. I really like the option you get to “ignore” certain areas of the motion detection. I live off a busy road and didn’t want my cameras to trip every time a car drives by, so I was able to tell the camera to ignore the road. It still captures video when the camera does activate, but you’re not getting constant alerts.

Overall, I’d recommend them. The price is good, and the ease-of-use is great. We’ll see how long the batteries actually last as compared to what they claim, but changing batteries is a minor issue. Being wireless is a big plus for me since I had no interest in doing a bunch of wiring. I don’t trust putting anything wireless indoors in case the system gets hacked. I don’t really care about outdoors, though.

Last edited:

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Thanks folks! I watched the u tube vids on them and they said good things but you know how those go. Needed to hear it from real people.
    P.S. the indoor arn’t for use in living quarters. They are for barn, shed & garage. Scuba, If you don’t mind and just for grins & giggles did the crowd funding thing make for a good payday? Always wanted to wager money on a startup but never pulled the trigger. Thanks again!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Been using Blink over a year. Good write up by JSHarmon. Simple setup and intuitive user interface. I put one in a tree so I can see the whole front of my house.

You can snooze motion alerts for a period of time. For instance if my wife is gardening I can snooze the alerts, or leave them on and supervise her. I can even remotely offer her gardening advice and tell her what she is doing wrong using the audio. She loves that.

I use mine without a subscription.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Very pleased with the Blink cameras. Battery life is great. 1+ years. Had a problem with birds wanting to set on top of a couple of the cameras so had to make anti bird strips to go on top of the camera. Plastic strip with straight pins sticking up. Had a problem with the WiFi hub not resetting when we changed our router one time. Customer service was fantastic and they sent a new hub at NC. I am also grandfathered in, so do not pay a subscription.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have issues with any camera system that doesn't have local storage. While blink & arlo are good cameras, battery issues & internet issues can be a huge problem. I had a client who had blink cameras(he loved them) in his vet office & finally replaced the system with a wired camera system. The constant motion throughout the day just killed the batteries. Outdoor cameras with solar panels are a good option however they will fail to charge the batteries on cloudy sunless days.

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Thanks folks! I watched the u tube vids on them and they said good things but you know how those go. Needed to hear it from real people.
    P.S. the indoor arn’t for use in living quarters. They are for barn, shed & garage. Scuba, If you don’t mind and just for grins & giggles did the crowd funding thing make for a good payday? Always wanted to wager money on a startup but never pulled the trigger. Thanks again!
    I did ok. My $$ worked for me on this one... I sourced a video game for my son to be in... That was fun. New Lacrosse game out of Cali. for PlayStation and XBox. Sent in Pics of my son when he was playing lacrosse so his likeness is in the game. Player rating was 99. Kinda cool IMHO

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Well I got a 5 pack with mounts and hoods for outside. 2 bells and 3 mini pan and tilt. That will fill the hub. Got a 264 gig usb drive to record on and a 24” hi def tv and fire stick for monitoring. That should cover the whole property and interior of the barn, garage & generator shed.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Along with those above, we have had good results with them. For the price point I think they are hard to beat. They do not seem to be going off line constantly like the wireless cameras we had before, the phone app is nice and adding cameras is a snap.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I installed the door bell and 3 outdoor cams last weekend. I got different mounting brackets and am happy I did so. Set up was super easy. So far I am happy with them.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Little side note. Pay for the Prime account for the shipping and streaming. Streaming= good. Shipping = sucks. Closest on the promised 2 day ship has been 5 days. The cams arnt due in untill the middle of September. Looks like 2 day is really 2 month now. Must be the new Gen. Y math.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I tried a Ring doorbell camera once, but never could get a good wifi connection in my house (Bedford stone over cinderblock).
    Ring wifi range SUUUUUUCKS. Wouldnt connect to my UI AP 10' away behind 3 layers of sheetrock and brick veneer. I had to install one of those APs you plug into an outlet and run a network cable to it to use it just inside the door for it to work.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have the battery powered blink outdoor wireless ones and they work fine. My wife works from home and has viewer on her desk so she can see around the house during the day. Not that we live in "the hood", quite the opposite, but it gives her peace of mind.

Dirty Steve

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Little update. Cams came in a month early if you consider already waiting 5 weeks as a standard wait. Pleased with the picture quality considering some of the cam views I’ve seen on the news and the tube. The exterior security cam seems to have the best picture to me. I like the fact that they are in color. The night vision is black and white. Would have posted night time comparisons but the infrared bouncing off the glass doesn’t make for a very good picture.
    All pictures are take through 60 year old glass so there is a certain amount of distortion.
    This is Doorbell; 1692634204481.png
    Mini cam with tilt and pan; 1692634349297.png
    And the Outside security cam; 1692634650937.png

Attachments

• 1692634523338.png
      1692634523338.png
      2.4 MB · Views: 2
    Top Bottom