• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ideas for Christmas include blackpowder rifle kits? Guns that I can take across state lines.

100 years ago when I worked for Galyans I bought a couple of T/C kits that did not break the bank, less than $100 IIRC with my employee discount. The ones I see now . . . Katey, bar the door. Man, a Lyman is $700. So much salt.

Is this just the new reality with inflation and 30 years passage of time?

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Traditions are the cheapest still, invest arms are better quality, but you’re still gonna pay quite a bit, about $100 more; even 3 years ago they were $250 for a traditions gun, which was too much to me.

pilgrim

Plinker
    May 5, 2012
    Columbus
    4Ideas for Christmas include blackpowder rifle kits? Guns that I can take across state lines.

100 years ago when I worked for Galyans I bought a couple of T/C kits that did not break the bank, less than $100 IIRC with my employee discount. The ones I see now . . . Katey, bar the door. Man, a Lyman is $700. So much salt.

Is this just the new reality with inflation and 30 years passage of time?
    Unfortunately yes, the mass produced flint or percussion kit guns in the $500 to $700 range while just the parts for a scratch built rifle can run 1200 or more.

Kurr

Expert
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    If you want a good quality kit, you NEED to check out Jim Kibler.

His kits are by a traditional rifle maker who has went to cnc. Very precise fit ups from what I hear.

His mountain rifle kit is on my bucket list.

Also has a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@kiblerjim

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I am assembling my second Kibler rifle now. They are very good quality from an excellent American company. He makes or sources all parts Fromm the US.

The quality is the best for the money.

It would cost you about $1300-1400 but you would end up with a lifetime rifle to be proud of. They do not require excessive skills to complete.

Don
    IMG_2790 2.jpg

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    I have heard only good things about Kibler.
    Same, I talked to a well known builder and he said beside the fancy finishing touches ANYONE can assemble the new Kibler kits since they started the cnc process.

but wow they are PRICEY. I really want one…… seems it is a labor of love though because they do not hold value. So you better really want one.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    The T/C kits probably was the most finished kit gun out there. Compared to many of the other big dollar kits out there today .My first T/C kit I unboxed in the morning and shot it in the afternoon,

Morgan12

Plinker
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    If you want a good quality kit, you NEED to check out Jim Kibler.

His kits are by a traditional rifle maker who has went to cnc. Very precise fit ups from what I hear.

His mountain rifle kit is on my bucket list.

Also has a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@kiblerjim
    This is probably the best option for building your own. Just the locks themselves are outrageous anymore and flintlocks need good locks. I’d stay away from Spanish made kits the metal is not so great

Top Bottom