Update: He's fine. Figured out how to fly away. :) Blackbird (OK, I guess it's a crow) in distress in my yard. What to do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Edit: He flew away, so all is good.

I came home to find this bird sitting in my back yard, all puffed up and breathing hard. Came back a bit later and he had moved a bit. I tried to encourage him to fly away, but it seems all he can do is walk and hop.

Does anyone know what kind of bird it is or what I can do? I did put some small dishes out with water and some oats, apple, and mealworms. He hasn't approached them yet.

1622140353393.png

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    He's good-sized... maybe about 8-10". I'm actually wondering if it's a mama. I hear babies up in a tree somewhere.

I hate to do nothing. He/she will just die in my fenced in yard.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    From the short tail feathers and the small amount of yellow at the base of the bill, this is a fledgling crow. Not long out of the nest and still learning to fly. This is when they are most vulnerable to local outdoor cats.
    Best advice - let nature take its course.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    From the short tail feathers and the small amount of yellow at the base of the bill, this is a fledgling crow. Not long our of the nest and still learning to fly. This is when they are most vulnerable to local outdoor cats.
    Best advice - let nature take its course.
    Thanks for the info. We have a fenced in yard, so not much danger from cats. I can keep putting down food and water and maybe he'll be able to fly soon.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I called the local wildlife rehab just to make sure there's nothing else I can do. Meanwhile, I think I saw Mama crow hanging around. Hopefully she'll come down and feed him.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Do you have a .22?
    No. I have come to the conclusion that this is a healthy fledgling crow that just lost his way. I had considered setting him on top of the fence to make it easier to take off, but don't know if I should.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep the dogs out of the back yard.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    No. I have come to the conclusion that this is a healthy fledgling crow that just lost his way. I had considered setting him on top of the fence to make it easier to take off, but don't know if I should.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep the dogs out of the back yard.
    Well, if it doesn't work out let me know.

Have Gun
    Will Travel

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Is it singing in the dead of night?

I'm not a vet, obviously, but when we have young chicks that are low on energy we do sugar water. Can't vouch for if it's the right thing to do or not, but it works for baby chickens.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

I'm not a vet, obviously, but when we have young chicks that are low on energy we do sugar water. Can't vouch for if it's the right thing to do or not, but it works for baby chickens.
    Good to know. If he's still there tomorrow, I'll put some out. Now that Mom has found him, I think she will feed him.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

You’d probably just try to push some BS “maintenance drug” while suppressing the actual cure anyway. Follow the money!!! Say no to Big Pharma!! Ahhhhhhh!!!! Loud words!!!!

Top Bottom