• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I got a CZ 457 Scout at auction a few weeks back, and have been enjoying playing with it, but it needs a longer stock. I removed the iron sights, plugged the holes, and mounted a Vortex Crossfire 2-7. The shorty stock works ok for the kids, but I'm 6'5", and combined with the long eye relief of the scope and the drop at the back of the stock, the factory setup just isn't working for me. It's more of a chin-weld and my head has to be craned back near the butt of the stock to get into the scope's eye box.

My goal with this setup is to keep it light and handy, so I don't want a heavy varminter or bench rest stock. I'm also not wanting to go "tactical" with this so I don't want a chassis system. I've considered the following three options:

1. Find a used 457 American factory stock. Seems like a reasonable plan until you try to find one. Even CZ's own marketing materials for the Scout suggest that it can be mounted in a full-size stock as the kids grow into it, but they don't appear to actually sell standalone stocks and I can't find one anywhere. If anybody knows of a good source for a take-off 457 American stock, I'm all ears.

2. Boyd's At-One. The adjustability is interesting on this one, as I could set it up for both me and the kids without having to swap stocks. Downside is it's a bit pricey, and the example I've seen in person was a little rattley. Granted, that was at the NRA show and it was a brand new product at the time, so the one I handled may have been a poor example. Anybody have experience with these that can speak to the build quality and weight?

3. Boyd's Rimfire Hunter. I have the prairie hunter for my Savage Model 10, and it's a nice enough stock although IMO a bit heavier than it needs to be. This is kind of the way I'm leaning as it's readily available and not hatefully expensive...but it lacks the adjustability of the At-One and isn't as nice or as light as a factory CZ American wood stock would be.

If anybody has experience with any of these or alternative suggestions that I've not thought of, I'd love to hear it.

ETA: I know everybody likes pics, so here's what I'm working with at the moment. 53011082047_c9cdcf3546_o.jpg

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Can't help with the replacement stock, but the Boyd's laminated stocks do seem to be very heavy, relatively. A temporary help would be a slip on recoil pad. I have them on several for additional pull length.

Cool little gun, by the way.

These add up to an inch.

IMG_2316.jpg

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I like that! Is yours a 457 or a 455/452? I'm seeing the 452 and 455 listed on their website, but not the 457.

Also, what all did you have to do to finish it out?
    Mine is a 452. You may have to contact them in regards to 457.

The stock itself, does not come drop in ready. Mainly took some sanding and hand work to fit the action. I did everything myself and am no means a wood worker or carpenter. Think it took around 4-5 months once I ordered it for delivery. I think it was 12 or 13 years ago I did it. Overall, fun project.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Mine is a 452. You may have to contact them in regards to 457
    I emailed them. Hopefully they offer one. This looks like a great solution, and I love a project...you learn something and it makes the gun more "your own".

I need to grab another recoil pad in the interim. I looked around the house for a bit and then remembered I gave mine qto my brother for his Mosin.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd make a spacer to lengthen LOP.

Maybe these?

My Savage MKII TR has a Boyds Tacticool on it (factory) and I'm not impressed.

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I glanced over the website, which is much improved since I ordered. Pretty certain I ordered a factory second AAA grade fancy. As far as a factory second, I really could not see anything cosmetically wrong with the stock. I also ordered the 1” pad (which comes installed). I am thinking it was $139 or $149 shipped when ordered. I see they have went up a bit. If I get a chance, will post a couple more pictures.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    While I said I wasn't looking for a chasis, that one is actually pretty nice looking...but it costs as much as I paid for the gun and the scope put together :(.

Top Bottom