• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have a question. Do you actually set the cruise when you're in a 25mph zone? The reason I ask is because around me all the 25 mph zones are frequent stops or short sections between different speeds. I'd be able to turn the cruise on for 5-10 seconds at the most. There is one that is maybe a 1/4 mile long between stops.
    ALL streets in my town are 25 with the exception of maybe 5 or 6 collector streets that are 35 - nothing has a higher speed limit. It is probably 95% residential. I drive several streets regularly that run all the way down to the (Scioto) river with only one or two stop signs in a 4 to 4 1/2 mile stretch

The local PD can be pretty lenient but I do it because 25 is pretty slow, usually lugging third a bit or in second, and it is so easy to take your eye off the speedo and be doing 38 or 40 before you realize it and they're not THAT lenient. The shorter stretches like you're talking about I keep it in second so there is more tactile and kinesthetic awareness of speed and a lift of the throttle brings immediate slowdown if the speed creeps up

That and I wouldn't want people speeding down my street so I shouldn't be speeding down theirs. Whole place is very walkable and people are out with their kids or walking their dogs etc - and I'm retired, so there are very few places I have to rush to get to.

Freeways are a different story. Nearest one to me is 65 and 55 in some places and the pace is 75 and up. I move at the speed of traffic

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ALL streets in my town are 25 with the exception of maybe 5 or 6 collector streets that are 35 - nothing has a higher speed limit. It is probably 95% residential. I drive several streets regularly that run all the way down to the (Scioto) river with only one or two stop signs in a 4 to 4 1/2 mile stretch
    That would drive me crazy. I think I'd probably just walk. :):

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That would drive me crazy. I think I'd probably just walk. :):
    I do a lot of that, too. Coffee shop is 1.05 miles away, have several routes I take when I just feel like taking a walk and four different dog walk closed loops. Town is 4 1/2 by 6 or so miles, so @ 25 or so worst case is you're at Riverside Drive in ten minutes. The connector streets are actually slower because they have traffic lights and we've managed to stave off the traffic circle craze in all but one or two places

Columbus and its suburbs have no real geographic barriers to growth, so now if you wanted to get out of town to open country roads on my side it would be 30 miles west and have to drive through three different towns

Also, I have a WRX, so what I might get away with in my wife's Crosstrek I won't get away with in that. Not stealthy enough

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

The local PD can be pretty lenient but I do it because 25 is pretty slow, usually lugging third a bit or in second, and it is so easy to take your eye off the speedo and be doing 38 or 40 before you realize it and they're not THAT lenient. The shorter stretches like you're talking about I keep it in second so there is more tactile and kinesthetic awareness of speed and a lift of the throttle brings immediate slowdown if the speed creeps up

That and I wouldn't want people speeding down my street so I shouldn't be speeding down theirs. Whole place is very walkable and people are out with their kids or walking their dogs etc - and I'm retired, so there are very few places I have to rush to get to.

Freeways are a different story. Nearest one to me is 65 and 55 in some places and the pace is 75 and up. I move at the speed of traffic
    Gotcha. I've only got a couple of streets here that are 35 mph, have one that for a short stretch is actually 45. We've got 2 state hwys that run through and 2 outskirt roads that are 35. But my town is only about 1x2 miles give or take and most of the intown area is residential square blocks with 4 way stops, a few 2 way stops so you might have 2 blocks before a stop sign. I can only think of maybe 2-3 street that are 25 mph that have a longer uninterrupted stretch than that and they are 1/2 mile or less.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Finally somebody points out the truth. "Even Mr. Biden had to concede that no one is in federal prison for simple marijuana possession."

I am reminded of lincoln's much ballyhooed "emancipation proclamation" which freed not a single slave.

Birds of a feather I suppose.

Top Bottom