• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Most of you know (or should know at least) it's illegal to carry pistols outside of your property with out a license, even to go to the range.

I was at Wilbur Wright today and some sort of police officer (I don't know what department or anything, might just have been DNR) came out and visited shortly to check for gun licenses.

We chatted with him a bit and he said he goes out there most saturdays and usually catches a few people. He'll confiscate their pistols and order them to court to get them back, or something to that effect.

So beware, lawbreakers!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    :+1:

"But my buddy's friend heard at a gun shop straight from a cop..."

Well, none of them obviously know the law. ;)

There are a very few exceptions which allow for transporting a handgun off your property or fixed place of business, but going to the range has never been one of them.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    There are a very few exceptions which allow for transporting a handgun off your property or fixed place of business, but going to the range has never been one of them.

one of those exceptions is if youre going to use it to commit murder or armed robbery.

9lock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Classified
    One would think there would be more "Important" issues to address, like Oh maybe the American people and the Country being Robbed & Looted.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    One would think there would be more "Important" issues to address, like Oh maybe the American people and the Country being Robbed & Looted.

[deleted]

ETA: Maybe I took that wrong and you were referring to the officer, not the OP's post. :dunno:

That would be correct

*OK, my somewhat snarky purple comment has been removed* ;)

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that case law on the topic states that simply having a handgun was not sufficient reason for law enforcement to check for a license. Do I recall this incorrectly?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that case law on the topic states that simply having a handgun was not sufficient reason for law enforcement to check for a license. Do I recall this incorrectly?

In Indiana you have to produce a LTCH if asked for it by a LEO. If you do not you can and will be arrested. If you do have one your record will be purged when it is showed to the officer or courts.

Its in the IC

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I've seen this for some other states but don't recall seeing case law applicable to Indiana yet.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't see why this is a bad thing? It is against the law to bring a gun to a range without a LTCH. They should check for LTCH's as you enter the range. In my opinon, gun owners who have LTCH's are the most law abiding citizens, so why let everyone else ruin it for us? I think they should check.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

If it was any state- or political subdivision officer, there is the question of jurisdiction.

If it was not...

Anyone remember these lines of text?
    robocop.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Directive 1 - Serve the public trust.
    Directive 2 - Protect the innocent.
    Directive 3 - Uphold the law.
    Directive 4- (Classified)
    [/FONT]

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Maybe I'm ignorant, but I don't see why this is a bad thing? It is against the law to bring a gun to a range without a LTCH. They should check for LTCH's as you enter the range. In my opinon, gun owners who have LTCH's are the most law abiding citizens, so why let everyone else ruin it for us? I think they should check.

You think there should be cops there to check? Or you think that the range master should check? I'd be okay with the range making a rule that you could only use its facility if you were legal, but I don't think there should be a cop there to check for licenses.

But only on a school bus, I'm pretty sure. :D

Yeah, but what are the odds of that happening, right? I mean, I bet most kids on the school busses these days don't even have lunch money any more. Free school lunches, and all that. Hardly be worth the armed robbery.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You think there should be cops there to check? Or you think that the range master should check? I'd be okay with the range making a rule that you could only use its facility if you were legal, but I don't think there should be a cop there to check for licenses.

Yeah, but what are the odds of that happening, right? I mean, I bet most kids on the school busses these days don't even have lunch money any more. Free school lunches, and all that. Hardly be worth the armed robbery.

The Range master of course.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have a question. Is it okay for police to pull people over simply to check if they have a license? I don't think so, but I'm not sure about that. If so, then can anyone explain why sweeps of gun ranges looking for violators is okay? Is it strictly about the politics?

Top Bottom