Cant wait to sight in tomorrow 458 Socom

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    That is a neat little deer gun.

What is the weight on it. Looks to me like a stand gun but that barrel has a big hole in it so the weight is most likely less then I am thinking it is.

prtrrssll

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    My goal is 100 yards

Like to shoot within reason i know its always temping to shoot father but i bought this rifle for the knockdown power more than the distance i was told <200 yards +> hate to leave a wounded deer for the coyote, Yes the scope is a 512 eotech. Maye post some pictures later from the range, gun is 7.6 pounds

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Looks like a keeper. Hope it shoots well, it should.

Is the weight of 7.6 pounds an empty gun without bi-pod and scope? If it is loaded and bi-pod it is much lighter than I figured it would be.

If you already have a ar-15 type rifle with the same basic setup it will be a killer deer gun. I have always advocated using the same gun type for practice as hunting, Heck you could even use the same lower and switch uppers like I do with contender barrels. Practice make perfect. Any luck finding SOCOM ammo. Not exactly Walmart stuff in the ammo dept.

prtrrssll

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Socom 458

Thought about switching uppers but i ve got to switch spings and put a butt stock so i ve just bought a lower to put on to make a complete RRA for hunting .Yes its heavier with scope ,bi pod an ammo unknown weight but feel difference .Ammo is hard to find, should have bought more at show but theres a guy north of wabash im buying reloads from .Shooting today 300 gr but would like to shoot 250 gr will see.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    You have, IMHO, the best caliber for hunting deer in IN, that also happens to be in a very ergonomical and light platform.

My only advice is to ditch the Eotech, I would put a low power variable on it like a Millet DMS-1. And, merely a personal preferance change, I would put a longer forearm on the gun, long enough to cover the gas block. This will accomodate a more comfortable shooting position when shooting off-hand and allowing moving the bipod further towards the front of the gun.

Looks great and good luck this season.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You have, IMHO, the best caliber for hunting deer in IN, that also happens to be in a very ergonomical and light platform.

My only advice is to ditch the Eotech, I would put a low power variable on it like a Millet DMS-1. And, merely a personal preferance change, I would put a longer forearm on the gun, long enough to cover the gas block. This will accomodate a more comfortable shooting position when shooting off-hand and allowing moving the bipod further towards the front of the gun.

Looks great and good luck this season.

The uppers come with that short free float tube from the factory, which is why most 458 SOCOM uppers have that forearm. I agree with you on switching to the Millett DMS-1 optic, much better for deer and hogs IMHO. As for the bipod, I'd lose that. Given the round being used and the distances its likely to be used at, in this state, the bi-pod seems like unnecessary weight and offers minimal utility.

My 458 SOCOM set up:
    P1080215.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    A quick google search shows corbon $56 for a box of 20. Holy crap man.

Yes, but sometimes they run them on sale. Rounds can cost between $1.75 to nearly $3 each, depending on bullet construction, bullet weight, etc. And it always pays to watch the ammo sales. $35 to nearly $60 a box is common.

Realize that most slugs are simple lead and these are jacketed rounds, often of premium hollowpoint construction. So you're getting a round that is not just more accurate than a slug, but also will perform well, expanding reliably for terminal effectiveness.

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I ended up getting 20 rounds for $39.99 at the Indy 1500 from Waltrip reloading, so I bought 60. Depends on the bullet you want it can be cheap or get very expensive. Figure some 12 ga sabots are around $10-$15 a box of 5 so really it's not that bad to shoot.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Figure some 12 ga sabots are around $10-$15 a box of 5 so really it's not that bad to shoot.

Well the way I see it, BOTH are expensive to shoot.

However that said, if I am going to pull the trigger on a $2+ round I want the best $2 round I can get and from what I can see the 458 SOCOM offers more accuracy and longer effective range than a 12 gauge sabot.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'm sure you could save a lot if you reload them though. Which is a plus since I've never heard of anyone loading sabots.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Great posts, I had been wanting to get the 458 as well for deer hunting, I am hoping Bushmaster come out with a conversion for the ACR in this caliber.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Please forgive my ignorance, but that round is legal to hunt with in Indiana? I had never heard of it until this thread, so I googled it. Looks interesting. But I thought rifle calibers weren't legal to use hunting. Is it legal because of it's muzzle velocity?

Just trying to learn... Thanks.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm sure you could save a lot if you reload them though. Which is a plus since I've never heard of anyone loading sabots.
    Yup, reloading is where the savings come in and the beauty of the 458 is that it offers some pretty amazing choices in bullets from 100 grain aluminum CQB hollowpoints to 720 lead solid gas checks and everything in between. Most common hunting rounds range from 350 to 500 grains and there are loads suitable for virtually every north American game (including dangerous game) animal that can be found.

Great posts, I had been wanting to get the 458 as well for deer hunting, I am hoping Bushmaster come out with a conversion for the ACR in this caliber.
    Don't hold your breath for that. With Bushmaster pushing the 450 Bushy, its highly unlikely that they would ever consider chambering the 458 SOCOM in any of their products.

Please forgive my ignorance, but that round is legal to hunt with in Indiana?
    Yes, the D.N.R. has specifically listed the 458 SOCOM as being Indiana "Deer Legal" in some of their literature. The round is the only factory loaded rifle round that I know of that is legal for hunting deer in this state. 458 SOCOM is legal because it falls within the size limits (min & max) and caliber limits that are specified by the D.N.R.

Top Bottom