• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Where to start with a .22LR for a child?

• Rifle

Votes: 46 97.9%
    • Handgun

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I started 2 of my three girls out on a breech load Savage single shot 22lr at about 5-6 years old. It was a youth model that they could handle well. They stayed on that until they were old enough to comfortably use a full size 22 rifle. By the time they graduated to a 45 colt lever they were also starting to become interested in handguns. My youngest started out with an XD9 at about 13-14. She now has a Walther PPQ because I didn't want to gift her one of my 1911's. She really liked a couple of my 45 1911's.
    Camera 009.jpeg

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    We started with a SIRT pistol to understand the rules. Then to a BB gun. Next was a cricket. Walther P22 and youth 20 gauge were the final steps.

It worked perfectly with my oldest he was very mature. My youngest is not mature and is still on the SIRT, but we will be following the same program.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    my gboy started with a rossi .22 when he was six but he didn't seem very interested. at 8 i tried gim on a ruger 10/22 he was into it more but it was a take it or leave it relationship.

he fired one round through my ar and he "became a man", ahem. i figured out he wanted what gdaddy had. we put an archangel stock on it that make it look like an hk g36. he wants to go to the range all the time.

he's fired everything i own by now but still loves his 10/22.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I went with an old single shot sears 22 I got from my wife's Grandfather's estate. My son loved it. He's moved on to a 10/22. All bench rest/supported shooting.
    Haven't really done anything with a handgun yet. He's turning 9 this year.
    I'm not a big fan of the cricket models. Just want until they're big enough to fit on a standard rifle stock.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    One thing I did with all my children is get a watermelon, tell them to hit it with their hand, and point out how hard it is to break it. Then I set it downrange and shot it with a 12 gauge. I pointed out how hard the watermelon was but how much damage a gun could do to it, just imagine what it could do to a person, and then went through the rules of gun safety.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I’d say a bolt action air rifle. No recoil and easy to teach the fundamentals of gun safety and handling. Then once they learn the basics graduate to a .22 LR bolt action rifle. Safety and education first!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I started my daughter with a Browning Buckmark .22LR pistol at about the age of 10. I see the safety aspects of starting with a rifle, however, I knew 30 years ago there was little chance of her ever using a rifle. Turns out I was right. Two years ago, she bought a P365. We started her 11 year old son with that same P365. We did lots of 'no ammo' practice at the kitchen table before he ever got near live ammo. He never touched live ammo until we were POSITIVE that he understood the 4 basic rules. During our last outing, he had a failure to feed error. At 13, and with decent training, he had the wherewithal to STOP, keep the muzzle downrange, keep his finger off the trigger, and ask for help. I'm proud of that boy.

So far, in two years of taking him to the range, I've witnessed one safety error, him covering his off hand with a loaded pistol. His finger was off the trigger, so I let it go until he had finished the magazine, safely. He did not realize what he had done; he was talking about his current group with his mom, while pointing at it with his off hand. At least his finger was off the trigger. Constant vigilance and training are way more important than which type of firearm you start with.

Reactions: RCB

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I started my kids on an AR, primarily because of the collapsible stock though it was bench shooting. And handguns if not. The first pistol any of them shot was a P38. Either way, single rounds only. All of my 22s had too long of a stock. They also shot/will shoot a 22 revolver. Most of the time now they shoot the revolver, mainly for cost considerations. They are big enough now for my 22 rifle, so that helps. They also shoot 12ga with mini shells.

It took better part of a 6 months to really drill in keeping your finger out of the trigger guard. And keeping the muzzle down or down range.

I also insist on them asking me to show clear if we are handling firearms away from shooting. Repetition is what it's taken on my end.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    I vote Henery H001y youth lever action.
    Its the size of a Red Ryder and smooth as can be. Accurate. 22 S L LR

Lots of good recommendations. I'd second the H001(Y). At family reunion a few years back my uncle brought out the H001 to the range for the newbies/curious regardless of age. Everyone loved shooting it and cycling the action makes it even more fun.

Reactions: RCB

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Well, it would be plausible to fit a hand gun in the womb with the fetus. A long gun I would expect not but if in your case it will, all I can say is you are an inspiration to us all...

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    Rifle much easier to learn to shoot and just from a range officer perspective much safer. Hands tend to follow the eyes. As said here even a good air rifle, I started my kids on a surplus youth break open when I felt comfortable with that we moved up to single shot youth 22lr then the 410 gor shotgun. Also make sure the gun fits the kid it’s so important.

PLM2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Ashley, DeKalb County
    I have a 6 and a 9 year old. Been wanting to get my oldest into shooting. Looking at adding a .22LR firearm to the collection as a starting point. But where do I go? Rifle? Handgun? Obvious brands for rifle would be Ruger and Savage, any others I should look at? Best .22LR handguns if you suggest a handgun?
    My daughter learned on a Ruger 10/22 when she was 10 years old. It was the perfect starter gun. Eventually she got into handguns but the rifle got her comfortable with shooting

Morgan12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2023
    Illinois
    Ill
    My daughter learned on a Ruger 10/22 when she was 10 years old. It was the perfect starter gun. Eventually she got into handguns but the rifle got her comfortable with shooting
    I’ll say this about the 10/22 it’s a small gun anyways and very light. I have a cz452 scout model I start them shooting on as it’s an actual youth model but the transition to the 10/22 was very easy. I thought I was going to buy a cheap used stock to cut down but everyone but my youngest who is 6 can handle it no problem. Only this is I wish it had a more open bolt on it something like an M1 carbine that way it would be easier to show clear. Also all youth guns are not youth guns. Guns like the cricket, H&R 410 youth model 20” barrel, will fit a 6 year old. Mossberg 510s and cz 452 scout maybe even a 10/22 would be like a next step up I’d say most 8-9 year olds. Browning BPS micro mossberg bantams, 870 youths would be after that but honestly I’m 5’8” and I love to shoot youth models actually my deer gun is a youth model 500 20ga. Also remember the lighter the gun the more the lock don’t start your 6 year old out on a H&r topper 20ga using high brass. Speaking from experience. Some of the worst guns I’ve ever shot were 20ga youth models like a Beretta 391 Urekia or a franchi 48AL in 20ga using high brass pheasant hunting & I shoot 12ga 3.5 inch shells by the case with no problem due I h duck season

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Another forum member told me a bolt action .22 rifle, mostly because there's an extra notion of control. Tried getting my 12 year old niece to shoot a FN 502, it was rough...mostly trying to get a moody pre-teen to not point it unsafely.

Top Bottom