Best SHTF Vehicle (consumer-grade, within reason)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I guess I don't consider getting out of the house if it's on fire or there's a train derailment and chemical spill to be bug out situations so much as regular life survival. We do have plans for that sort of thing. If it's riots or terrorist actions I think I'd rather just return fire. We have vehicles to survive, I'm just not interested in running away to do so.

If it's government confiscation of property where are you going to go? I think I'd rather treat that as a terrorist action.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    What would be the most modern, non-computer truck/SUV/jeep?

There is very little in my '79 CJ7 that would fail. Old jeeps (CJ's 1-7) are probably a good choice as they are generally well maintained/dotted after by their owners. Once you get into the '80's computers/electronics were becoming all pervasive though.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I'll stick with my Jeep WJ... Has LED lights all around, has roof rack to carry cargo, soon to have winch bumper. Plus, most Jeep parts interchange with it. And, it has the bullet-prood I6 4.0 engine.
    These are common here in my area and people wouldn't bat an eye about seeing one in a SHTF scenario.
    12119151_10206903738765047_7182474325657645021_n.jpg

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    To get something that would likely survive you're going to have to get something with a points distributor or something that you can switch over to points. I think there is a mid 80's suburban that would be able to have a points distributor and would already have a carb (pre-88 I believe) I drive an 86 Grand Wagoneer that is convertible to points pretty sure they were all car bed through the end in 91. Mid 80's seem to be the cutoff for carbs on most brands

Jwmeador

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Franklin
    Let's say you're ready to buy a new vehicle... what's the ideal consumer-level car/truck/etc for a SHTF-minded person? A big truck, some jeep, something else?

Asking for something within reason... a humvee isn't "consumer grade" in my mind. Something you'd pay no mind to if you saw it on the highway every day.

What do you consider a good SHTF vehicle, INGO?

In my opinion there is no unmodified new vehicle you can buy for SHTF purposes. IF there is an emp pulse the vehicles electronics will be useless. So you need to emp proof a vehicle or have spare parts that would fry in an emp stored in a faraday shield ready to replace and get your vehicle back going. If your vehicle runs off of gasoline in SHTF situation you still might be in trouble. There may be no gasoline available and its hard to store long term. I would make sure my SHTF vehicle could run off of a non perishable storable fuel source like propane. You can store back propane tanks or find tanks on peoples grills from an abandon house if SHTF. Just my opinion though.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    A SHTF auto would have to be pre 87 chevy truck, preferably a 4×4. Any of that newer electronic crap wont do. Plus all the new stuff are one hit wonders and they are junk. Newer truck dont last . Someone said they'd plow thru whatever was in the way, never happen. First time you do that and the bumper an fenders are in the tires making it immobile. Way too much to go wrong on newer stuff.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Had a '72 Suburban, family bought it new. We had to rewrite the jingle though to read 'Nothing Rusts Like a Chevy Truck'. Rust was coming through the paint on the doors two months after we got it home. Eventually, I had to completely rebuild the doors and rocker panels.

It was still running fine when I sold it in '89. At least bondo doesn't rust...

Also, worst gas mileage ever. The only thing that improved it was putting a canoe on the roof so at least something attached to it was aerodynamic. My Class A RV gets better mileage...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I thought of this thread when I read this article, not exactly an endorsement that Toyota would welcome, but a pretty strong one nonetheless. I guess we can't get the Hilux here, but I wonder how the Tacoma compares or the 4Runner, which is what we own.?

Why ISIS uses Toyota trucks - Business Insider

I really like the TRD Pro models of both the Tacoma and 4-runner. They're essentially pre-lifted and customized off-roaders but they come stock from the factory.

Jeepster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    NWI
    Pfft. P-lease...

[video=youtube;yh6NyR49G8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh6NyR49G8I[/video]

Try that in a Subby sometime.;)

Please don't take that as an endorsement of the Audi for the OPs purposes. Jess sayin.:cool:

I'd vote Tacoma TRD. I'll take that over anything with Jeep in it's name any day of the week.:p

Audi allroad is definitely my vehicle of choice, being my daily driver it fits the bill. The 4 level suspension is adjustable with the push of a button.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Me, personally...an older AMC Jeep CJ (carb V8) or an early model Ford Bronco....'68-'70 version?

Don't raise them very much...keep 'moderate' wheels on them...keep 'em quiet...etc.

Last thing you ever want to do is to bring or draw attention to yourself...

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I watched a show on TV that said if you take the battery out nothing is going to happen to it. Now I don't know. A book I read said that you had to take the computer out and protect it. There is so much information out on this stuff that you don't know if it's true or not.

The way I look at it is taking the battery out would work how will you know when to take it out. The government isn't going to tell us. So how would know when to take it out. May be you could in stall one of the switches that transfers power to battery 2 and not have a battery on 2. I just don't know. I know on that show the guy just drove through the EMP blast one time and nothing happened. Then he tried to start another car and it wouldn't start. To much information out and no way to check it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The way I understand the potential impact of EMP on vehicles: the pulse induces a current in the wiring. The longer the wire, the more current (explains why antennas are so sensitive to EMP). So, to protect modern vehicles, one would need to isolate the computer and sensors from their wiring. Obviously, not all that easy to do. Might be easier just to keep spares.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    A SHTF auto would have to be pre 87 chevy truck, preferably a 4×4. Any of that newer electronic crap wont do. Plus all the new stuff are one hit wonders and they are junk. Newer truck dont last . Someone said they'd plow thru whatever was in the way, never happen. First time you do that and the bumper an fenders are in the tires making it immobile. Way too much to go wrong on newer stuff.

k5BlazerCUCV.jpg

This is my bug out vehicle! A mil-surp blazer with a 6.2L naturally aspirated diesel engine. Won't sneak up on anybody, but they are easy to maintain & relatively cheap to operate.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Let's say you're ready to buy a new vehicle... what's the ideal consumer-level car/truck/etc for a SHTF-minded person? A big truck, some jeep, something else?

Asking for something within reason... a humvee isn't "consumer grade" in my mind. Something you'd pay no mind to if you saw it on the highway every day.

What do you consider a good SHTF vehicle, INGO?

Anything you can start after an EMP strike.

Top Bottom