Best SHTF Vehicle (consumer-grade, within reason)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yeah, right. My dogs pick up on a Prius a mile out. Diesel is more routine then something that runs quite. The dogs will alert on any vehicle but if silent running is an issue, you are probably on the verge of being dead anyway.

Torque & Fuel are my top two features.

Honestly, I don't see your point. When dogs start setting up ambushes during a SHTF, then yeah, ill change to a louder vehicle, so the dogs will leave me alone, and I only have people to worry about.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    HAHAHA!!!

Hey buddy, I can only guess at your history with hand centers, but I know mine, and it ain't pretty....:noway:

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    lol...nevermind, wsenefeld.

I was just takin' a cheap shot at rhyno. REALLY cheap, since I don't even know him...but I can judge from everybody else's comments that he must have a colorful history with knives.

Well...really just one color: red.

Kinda like my history.

-Nate

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Ok
    Honestly, I don't see your point. When dogs start setting up ambushes during a SHTF, then yeah, ill change to a louder vehicle, so the dogs will leave me alone, and I only have people to worry about.
    The dogs track 110% of anything that makes noise, even when a bear craps in the road. You took it wrong. Point is they even pick up a Prius a mile out in rough terrain and we see one a couple times a week with mail.

Where I live the sound of an airplane is rare. When the wind is not blowing I can track the movement and roads taken by other vehicles for miles. So worrying about how loud a diesel can be is a none issue. If you bug out, when you arrive the locals will know, no matter how few there are.

I have lived in some of the largest cities and some of the most remote areas in this country. In the city noise is a non issue, in the country a diesel may blend in better then anything else.

Regardless, you won't be sneaking in, even after dark. I went hunting today in an area where I rarely see anyone but I crossed paths with one "neighbor". I was walking in hunting that section of road, he was driving out (in his diesel) since he was in there duck hunting. I told him I put off starting my grouse hunt so as not to disturb any ducks since I knew he was in there. While his duck call is good, it's not what I hear every day at my house. He was 3/4 of a mile away with thick forest and glacial deposits between us and I knew every time of day and spots he had hunted since duck opener yesterday. I know where the ducks are because I have been Goose hunting all month. I know what birds make sounds in my area and where.

Odds are you could walk in and locals will at least know of your presence. Just like the bears, wolves, coyote and other players you know when they are around. So a vehicle with torque does what a vehicle needs to do. I just don't see stealth and vehicle movement going together.

If you are bugging out in a vehicle, you are just a refugee until you get somewhere. If you are bugging out to random rural areas, odds are the locals will kill you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My circumstances preclude bugging out as an option, so at least I'm not tempted to consider it! Zoub would kill me ​first.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Ok
    The dogs track 110% of anything that makes noise, even when a bear craps in the road. You took it wrong. Point is they even pick up a Prius a mile out in rough terrain and we see one a couple times a week with mail.

Where I live the sound of an airplane is rare. When the wind is not blowing I can track the movement and roads taken by other vehicles for miles. So worrying about how loud a diesel can be is a none issue. If you bug out, when you arrive the locals will know, no matter how few there are.

I have lived in some of the largest cities and some of the most remote areas in this country. In the city noise is a non issue, in the country a diesel may blend in better then anything else.

Regardless, you won't be sneaking in, even after dark. I went hunting today in an area where I rarely see anyone but I crossed paths with one "neighbor". I was walking in hunting that section of road, he was driving out (in his diesel) since he was in there duck hunting. I told him I put off starting my grouse hunt so as not to disturb any ducks since I knew he was in there. While his duck call is good, it's not what I hear every day at my house. He was 3/4 of a mile away with thick forest and glacial deposits between us and I knew every time of day and spots he had hunted since duck opener yesterday. I know where the ducks are because I have been Goose hunting all month. I know what birds make sounds in my area and where.

Odds are you could walk in and locals will at least know of your presence. Just like the bears, wolves, coyote and other players you know when they are around. So a vehicle with torque does what a vehicle needs to do. I just don't see stealth and vehicle movement going together.

If you are bugging out in a vehicle, you are just a refugee until you get somewhere. If you are bugging out to random rural areas, odds are the locals will kill you.

Not if you are a part time local yourself.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M35a2.... pulling an f350 crew cab long bed.

Monta in bike and xl600r on board.

No we ain't stealthy. Grey man is out the window too. But we can push past most vehicles blocking the road. I can haul my entire household. Can recon quite a bit too when necessary and the deuce will eat whatever fuel she's given.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Not if you are a part time local yourself.
    We could spend a lot of time on that subject alone but part time also means not random. You have a connection. Believe it or not, but we actually do a drill here two or three times a year where we deal with that exact scenario. It would not take much to keep most out. Their station wagons won't be able to move the trees blocking the roads. Here it is amazing how large an area can be blocked off with a just a few well placed clusters of fallen trees. Locals know the logging roads or other options.

Many would never even make it that far. The ones who do are the more resourceful or extended family, you want them. Its funny but the "part timers" worth a damn are the same rare few you cross paths with more then once.

Our drills are disguised as Walleye opener, summer holidays, deer season, snowmobile season, peak of grouse season. One time a friend stopped by to let me know about 6-7 bears, including a large pissed off one, had all just been pushed out of a corn patch during a deer drive towards our place. I was running chainsaws, wearing a lot of Orange and a glock. I told him I was more worried about being shot on my property by a lost Hunter after seeing the three truck loads of hunters earlier on my run into town. The dogs handle the bears just fine.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Opening day of deer season can be a scary time in WI...nothing like 3/4 million once a year/first time hunters hitting the woods all at once.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Last winter during 1 of the 2 heavy snows we got I was with a gf in hammond. The city was having a difficult time keeping up with snow removal so side streets were 2nd teer.

All it took to shut the road down and making it completely impassable was that leroy with dubs trying to go down the road and he would inevitably get very stuck. He was alone, improperly dressed for conditions and didn't travel with a snow shovel. He would rock the car when he could, push from the A pillar and sometimes even get a neighbor to help but to no avail. After 15 mins he would abandon his ride, right there in the middle of the street, a car being parked on each side most times.

Now that portion of the block has to reroute, including fire and ems. This happened everyday.

I doubt your Cherokee is gonna push a grand marquis out of the way under such conditions. Full size trucks might.

I would consider traveling down railway sidings before taking highways were you exfil-ling out of a large city. I've already pulled railway maps off the net for such contingencies.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Chevy or gmc suburban. preferably diesel as you can store diesel longer in containers and vehicle gas tanks. The 3500 series suburban used or new is a dang good vehicle for almost any situation.

Top Bottom