• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sellagogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    I posted a question a few days ago asking which pistol I should keep in my small collection for home defense.It was suggested that a shotgun would be the better choice,which after think about it makes some sense to me..My question is simply what should I look for in a shotgun again for home security only..maker,gauage,features etc..thanks in advanse

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Any pump gun 12 gage with as short a barrel as you can legally have.

I have a Coach Gun double barrel but the sound of a shot gun racking is universally known and may send them packing.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There is a thread about 12 versus 20. I side on the with the 20 gauge.

This one is just about perfect as it comes from the factory:
    870knoxx1.jpg

870knoxx2.jpg

Remington Model 870™ Express® Express® 7-Shot 20-GA Premier Dealer Exclusive

If only it was equipped with a flashlight on the forearm, but other than that it is just about perfect as it comes out of the box. One of the best things is that it has the recoil reduction Knoxx stock, the 20 gauge, combined with the Knoxx stock, would make for a very low recoiling gun that is also a bit lighter and shorter than a 12 gauge.

Remember when buying a home defense gun you must make sure that it is useable by ALL members of the family. The 20 gauge tactical Remington would be easily handled by a teenage girl, your wife, etc.

Just my 2-cents

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't underestimate the venerable 20ga shotgun, either.

Most times the 20ga. is physically smaller and lighter than a 12ga big brother...a big plus if you're of shorter stature and/or have a physical limitation that would put a 12ga. on the "no" list.

There are also "reduced recoil" loads available for the 12ga (possibly even 20ga?) that would make it easier to practice with your shotgun. Something that hurts when you shoot it isn't going to get shot often; and you need to shoot your shotgun to KNOW how it works before pressing it into service as a HD weapon. (MY shotgun is currently unloaded and in another bedroom because it's still too unreliable.)

You'll no doubt hear numerous folks talk about and expound upon the whole "just the sound of racking a pump shotgun will make the bad guy turn tail and run!"

PROVE IT.

Just like you keep a round chambered (And safety on, if applicable) on your carry pistol, you should likewise keep a round chambered and safety on with your shotgun.

Trying to fiddle with racking a shotgun in the middle of the night when you KNOW that someone's in your house isn't something that I'd want to hassle with.

As for what you should look for: it all depends on your budget!!! You can get a $1100 Benelli Super Nova semi-automatic tactical shotgun with all the bells and whistles... Or you can get a $150 NEF Pardner Pump. And everything in between; new and used.

So, ask yourself: How much do I have to spend on this particular venture?

And once you have your budget in mind, THEN you can really begin shopping.

Or you can just go find a gently used Remington 870 (pump); 'cause that's what 90% of the recommendations are going to be anyhow. :-)

-J-

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Or you can just go find a gently used Remington 870 (pump); 'cause that's what 90% of the recommendations are going to be anyhow. :-)

Can't go wrong with either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. R-Guns or some other online place used to carry police trade-in 870Ps and Wingmasters on a regular basis for stupid cheap (like $189). They were well-used but serviceable, or you could put another $100-150 in replacement/upgrade parts and have a great fighting shotgun for about 1/3 less than what a new (and lower quality) 870 Express would run. Haven't seen those around in awhile, though.

The H&R "Pardner" is essentially a Chinese-built knockoff of the 870. They're decent quality (point of origin notwithstanding) and certainly priced right, but IIRC they aren't 100% Remington compatible as far as parts and accessories go.

sellagogo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    shooter521...Dumb question but if I find a used police trade in through the internet..I have it sent to a local FFL dealer or is a shotgun sent directly to me

Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Get a Mossberg Maverick for about $225. Aluminum frame with the slide release in the logical spot, and the loader does not have that "pincher" that will turn your wife off when she loads it for the first time.

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    This may be a stupid question, but are some of the accessories that are available for the Remington 870 also work on a Mossberg 500?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This may be a stupid question, but are some of the accessories that are available for the Remington 870 also work on a Mossberg 500?

Depends, did you have any particular components in mind? Some items are generic, but most seem to be build for a specific model.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

However, you can get Mossberg 500s fancied up in just about any way you want, in both 12 and 20 guages. Worth a trip to their website, and you definitely want to study up on the differences between the guns, and get your hands on them before buying.

Both Remingtons and Mossbergs are outstanding choices. Can't go wrong with either one.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You may also want to bear in mind that you might not necessarily want to go all out tactical. A shotgun is a very versatile critter. You can use them for home defense, hunting small game, hunting big game, hunting birds, and several different sports.

I, personally, am leaning toward a Mossberg 500 20 guage turkey gun. The shorter barrel is useful in both tactical situations and hunting small game through brush, but it's big and practical enough to be more useful in other shotgun applications.

I like this one:
    http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/54239.jpg

22 inch barrel is a good compromise length for hunting, home defense, and sports. I like the sights, and the magazine capacity.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Any pump gun 12 gage with as short a barrel as you can legally have.

I have a Coach Gun double barrel but the sound of a shot gun racking is universally known and may send them packing.

I so want a coach gun. Most if not all of my shotguns are Mossberg. Inexpensive, reliable and the US military use two versions of them for the troops. Mossberg was also the only manufacturer that had the ability to pass the standards to become the military shotgun. I think that says alot. BTW the two the military use are the 500 and the 590.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    If I were going to buy a shotgun that was tactical but not I would get this one...:rockwoot:
    Tactical Turkey

63100.jpg

As a side note for HD I would use my Mossberg 535, it is my turkey hunting gun and has a fairly short barrel.

45210Combo.jpg

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Remington

I would go with the Remington 870 in either 12 or 20 depending on what you and your family are more comfortable with ( I own and use a 12 ga )
    It prob has more aftermarket parts made for it than any other shotgun made not to mention there reliability
    The 870 model is the best selling shotgun in the world bar none and has been around a LONG time

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I personally have a mossberg 500 18 inch barrel with pistol grip ..

keep it loaded with some 00 buck ..light easy to swing around in the house

trust me it will do the job you ask of it ...

And yes it is leagal i bought it from the gun shop the way it is ....lol

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I have the same gun as Dice. A Mossberg 500 Cruiser loaded with 8 double odd buck style defense shells. I keep a bright little flashlight near to, blind someone or make sure it's not my daughter making noise, with that I would carry in one hand. But I've been thinking about loading the first shell with bird shot to prevent going through drywall

Top Bottom