• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    my hd gun is a winchester model 1300 with black syn stock, shot shell sling, a cheap fiber optic front sight and the short turkey barrel.

but i also have two other barrels - the rifled slug barrel and a longer win-choke barrel. so, as "joe williams" stated, your hd gun does not necessarily have to be limited to hd duty.

my gun is well suited for bg's, clays, deer, birds, etc.

you can find "like new" 1300's with all three barrels in the $400 and under range ..... and have a very versatile set up.

good luck.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    This interests me for home defense. Who has the best selection of these in central Indiana?

i don't know. i don't by from dealers. i don't like paperwork.

when i am looking for a new (to me) gun, i start calling all my buddies and asking them if they have anything they are thinking about selling.

i also frequent gun shows and pay close attention to the walking inventory at the show (people carrying around stuff for sale).

keep an eye on the classifieds section here. the good deals go fast. so check it several times a day if you can.

gander mountain has quite a few long guns, but in my experience they generally tend to be on the higher side of the pricing spectrum. ymmv.

bass pro shop (clarksville) has a lot of guns. i stopped by there one day last week. they probably had 500+ guns (hand and long) on display ... plus whatever they had in back???

i might suggest keeping an eye on gunbroker. dealer "buy it now" prices are usually high there, but occasionally you will see a "true auction" go through at a decent deal. i don't buy from gunbroker, but i will bookmark auctions that interest me just to get a rough idea of what certain items sell for on there.

then of course, there are all the local guns shops in the indy area. see stickied thread here at ingo for that list, or google it.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    This is what I keep in the bedroom, FN Police Model, and with the chokes I have even used it to shoot skeet at the Atturbury Range. Cost me around $300 at Bradis a few years ago.
    DSCF0213.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Getcha a Saiga 20ga. They are VERY low recoil, you can use AK accessories, and red dot scopes don't get torn up on the S20!

Mag's might be expensive, but it usually comes with two and you don't have to worry about loading 5 rounds one at a time. Just grab a mag and slap it in!

Plus, What's kewler than an AK looking shotgun?!!??! Too bad I'm trading mine! LOL Just got it and never shot it either!

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    i was catching up on some old podcasts during a solo road trip today.

pro-arms had a 2 part podcast on home defense shotguns that was pretty good.

here is a link to the site that has their podcasts (you can play them online in a popup media player):

ProArms

scroll about 1/2 way down the page. you are looking for episodes 17A and 17B (dated 21-Dec-2008).

~or~

direct link to download 17A mp3 file:

Education podcast download - ProArms

direct link to download 17B mp3 file:

Education podcast download - ProArms

and finally, for you itunes users out there, you can also get these at itunes as well.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    For the home shotgun, I use my 835 ultimag. I have a slug barrel, 30" and a 24" for turkey. I am thinking about cutting the 30" off to 18". Which poses a question. At which point do you measure from to get the required 18"?

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I dont think you can beat the Rem. 870 series, reasonable cost, most accessories on the market, available everywhere, a proven workhorse...

Here are a couple of 870 12 ga. w/ breacher barrels, Scattergun Tech. 6 shot ext.s and Mesa Tactical stock sets that Ron at Tacticalshotgunner.com (here in Indy), an Ingo site sponser set up for me and my teenager:

870s002.jpg

Future mods/ upgrades: better slings, side saddles and maybe ghost ring sights.

Last edited:

iujeffcpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    South Bend, IN
    My father has the Mossberg and I have the Remington 870 (as pictured in this post). Whenever I've purchased parts for my 870 Marine Magnum most of these parts are interchangable with the Mossberg. You will save money by buying the Mossberg but I think Remington 870's are one of the best shotguns on the market.

Stick to a pump as the police and millitary do because they are more reliable and less likely to jam up due to the manual operation of the cycling.

Also, the Knoxx stocks rock but if you want a home defense shotgun you may want to consider Knoxx pistol grip w/o stock. As one of the other members mentioned above the 20 ga might be more realistic. My 12 ga is a little much for the wife and kids to operate, but the Knoxx collapsible stock does allow for the adjustment of this shotgun to youth and smaller frammed peopel shooting it.

DSC01061.jpg

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    For the home shotgun, I use my 835 ultimag. I have a slug barrel, 30" and a 24" for turkey. I am thinking about cutting the 30" off to 18". Which poses a question. At which point do you measure from to get the required 18"?

From closed breech to the end of the barrel. Stick a tape measure down the barrel. I would go 18.5 just to be safe...

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Although a shotgun is not my personal choice for a HD gun, a good pump shotgun is a VERY useful and versatile weapon and can serve you well as a HD gun.

My 870, pay no attention to the little guy on the bottom.
    shottys_001.jpg

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Just be sure to keep your wrist locked..... I was :owned:by a mossy pistol grip yesterday and look like that blue guy.. wife isn't too happy lol

smileytrucker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Modoc IN
    I personaly like the 20 g for home protection and as one post states.. go as short as legaly pos. The reason I use a short 20g is because unlike a rifle or hand gun you dont have to worry too much about the shot going threw the wall and hitting loved ones on the other side of that wall. The 20 has plenty of knock down power. Single shot would be good too and as one other post stated, keep loaded with safty on. one shot is all you need. point and fire.... target down!

HollowaySF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    I would definately recommend the mossberg 500. They have a couple different tactical models out now and the prices aren't too shabby. It's all personal preference. I would definately shop around and check out different ones to see which you prefer for yourself and consider your family too.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Single shot would be good too and as one other post stated, keep loaded with safty on. one shot is all you need. point and fire.... target down!

LOL, you ever shot 12 gauge buck shot loads out of a cut off single shot with the stock cut down to a pistol grip? How about a deer slug? ROTFL.

Been there done that, watched a few big talkers do it.

I wouldn't do it now to any one even as a joke.

Get a Remington 870, 1187, or 1100 with a smoot bore slug barrel. They are short and they have rifle sights on them. They will shoot any thing that fits in them safely and efficiently. They are plain deadly when used appropriately.

Or you can go out and make your own mistakes. May be you'll learn quick, maybe not but either way learning the difference between real world and Hollywood and magazine bullcrap on your own is expensive.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    870! just for the simple fact there are more accessories available for it. and I own one.:D as for 12 vs. 20 gauge I'll tell you what my wife said "if I'm being raped I'm not gonna bitch about recoil"

Top Bottom