• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    IMO, new vs. used doesn't really matter if the used firearm is in good condition. It is, in a way, akin to asking if it is better to buy a new hammer or a used hammer. If you are looking to buy a firearm as cheaply as possible, usually "used" is the best way to go.

IRT the recoil spring, someone other than me will have to answer that. Sorry.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Raven,

My guess is that it's simply to keep the gun from firing. It will not function without a recoil spring.

Believe it or not, folks tend to collect these things. I know a few serious collectors of "Saturday Night Specials." But they're not for shootin', only for lookin' at.

I would pass on any of these cheap handguns. They usually don't function, or don't function right, are made badly, and usually break after a few hundred rounds (there are exceptions).

A good, used, revolver should get you started well on your way. If you can find an S&W Model 10, that would be my first recommendation.

If you really want a semi-auto, take a look at the Kahr. Well made guns which are relatively inexpensive.

Josh <><

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Is it generally better to buy new, or buy a used handgun? Private party, or dealer?

It's best to find a gun that works for YOU. Find a range like Pop's which rent handguns and see what you are comfortable with and what you can control.
    No gun is any good if it doesn't function for YOU.
    If this is a gun you want to use for personal protection, you must ask yourself "how much is my life worth" and then choose a gun which has proven reliability and meets the conditions above.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    JMO, buy new with a used gun you don't know what problems you may be buying. There are some very good starter guns that are keepers, look at the XD's, Glocks, just about any six shooter, and like Josh Smith said Kahr, some are less expensive than others.
    Also stop in at Plainfield Shooting Supplies for some of the best prices around, stay away from Don's.

Last edited:

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    one cant always afford the new gun price.i am leary of buying used from someone i dont know,been doin it for almost 30 years,things arent like they used to be.i would rather buy used from a dealer,site advertizer that is.you make a good relationship w/ a dealer,you can get really good deals.there are some members on here i would trust there word,there are some people out to just make a buck,i have been one for alot of years.now i see this ingo taking off,i see way more benefits, being involved than just making a quick buck.i would say buy from someone you trust or buy new or used from a dealer.ssl

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    A new gun comes with full waranty, pro...expensive, con sometimes a free box of ammo and quick lesson, pro....expensive, con. Most gun hold their value and reliability very well for a very, very long time. I'm sure that there are members here that have their grandfathers' guns and the work good as new. However some guns are lemons (see thread) and some do get very abused.

My first handgun was a S&W model 66 6shooter. Still have it. It was used and the history of this gun is that it is a retired LEO sidearm. When 6 shooters were LEO sidearms (been a while). Still one of my most reliable guns and proves to be the easiest group holder in my arsenal.

My old neighbor paid $200 for a taurus 5shot .38sp at the last gun show. very used but a quality none the less.

I trust buying a used gun over a used car 1000:1!!!

Go with what BloodEclipse said also...very important! Reps given!

Top Bottom