Best Classes / trainers in Central IN area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Me and some of the guys at church have been talking about doing some training courses. I was also approached by our pastor and asked if I would be interested in doing security and safety for the church. We aren't a huge mega church and there are less than 20 in our congregation most times. But the pastor is a friend of mine and he knows I'm probably the best shooter in the church. (Not saying much) anyway I'm wondering if there are any good classes and who are the best trainers in the Central IN area for the topics? We'd probably like to start with a basic pistol course. Everyone who would be going is a shooter but everyone can benefit from going back to basics. Then maybe intermediate pistol, low light, active shooter response, and basic first aid/field medicine, trauma care. Any suggestions on schools or trainers? Any other topics we should consider?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Really nothing? I figured as much as INGO preaches training I thought I'd have a list by now. Are there no trainers in Central Indiana? I honestly don't know where to start looking.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Really nothing? I figured as much as INGO preaches training I thought I'd have a list by now. Are there no trainers in Central Indiana? I honestly don't know where to start looking.
    Sorry, with Coach gone I don't really know anyone based in that area. I pretty much just stick with national travelling trainers these days. Not that I would be opposed to good instruction from anyone.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Th
    Sorry, with Coach gone I don't really know anyone based in that area. I pretty much just stick with national travelling trainers these days. Not that I would be opposed to good instruction from anyone.
    Thanks, I guess maybe Indiana then? I'd like to keep it as local as possible within a couple hours of Morgan County. A couple of the guys are independent contractors so if they aren't working they aren't getting paid and with my work schedule I'd like to find one day classes if possible.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Look into MALC in Edinburg
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Our church is exploring this very subject, and myself and another man from our church attended their class titled "FUNDAMENTALS OF THE CHURCH SAFETY OFFICER". Great course with tons of very useful information shared.

As explained in the course, the church safety team is a calling and not everybody is called. The person I attended with felt called. Me, I'm glad to help develop the church's safety standards, but want no part of actually serving on the safety team.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Look into MALC in Edinburg
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Our church is exploring this very subject, and myself and another man from our church attended their class titled "FUNDAMENTALS OF THE CHURCH SAFETY OFFICER". Great course with tons of very useful information shared.

As explained in the course, the church safety team is a calling and not everybody is called. The person I attended with felt called. Me, I'm glad to help develop the church's safety standards, but want no part of actually serving on the safety team.
    Thanks for the info! I checked out their site and it looks like they offer pretty much everything we've talked about and then some.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Try Top Guns at Terre Haute I am one of the Instructors. several of us have been to the Range Master Instructor course are retired state and Federal agency instructors as well as classes from Lee Weems Dave Spaulding, one is a Gunsite Instructor and as of this weekend John Hearne’s Who Wins who looses and why and Tactical Anatomy

We all have real world experience and with our experience as instructors we can cater a class to your individual needs

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Obijohn is who you want, (if he is still actively training.) I also believe he has a working knowlege of church security?

He's out of Terre Haute, so not terribly far from you.

:ingo:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Obijohn is who you want, (if he is still actively training.) I also believe he has a working knowlege of church security?

He's out of Terre Haute, so not terribly far from you.

:ingo:
    I was going to say ACT but I hadn't heard anything out of them lately so didn't know if they were still working.
    ACT is still active. Most open enrollment classes are through Revere's Riders. Still offering the low light class in December.

I've worked with several churches and mutual assistance groups. I can offer you training at any location that is safe (and legal) to shoot.

Dshock07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    I would check out MTAC over in Muncie. I've done a basic and advanced pistol course there and had a great time. They have both indoor and outdoor courses based on time of year and have an indoor shoothouse facility for force on force training using simunition rounds.

Top Bottom