• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was watching a YouTube video about the journey of a guy who had carried multiple pistols over the years as "something better" came along. :scratch:
    Sound like anyone you know, haha! :lmfao::ar15:
    Titled: "I Haven't Carried Another Gun Since I Got This One!"
    Hegshot87 on May 27, 2022
    He said, "The one gun that has turned his rotation into a monopoly, 95% of the time. :popcorn:
    (Spoiler: SW Shield Plus) :faint:

He started out stating the Glock 26 was an amazing game-changer at the time (2000-2008).
    Then the original SW Shield & variations, PPS & variations & XDS & variations came along.

Then came the Sig P365, another game-changer, with its size/capacity.
    The 7 & 8 rds CC, all changed to 10 to 13 rounds, thanks to the 365.

He acknowledges that the Taurus GX4 is a fine budget-minded gun & the Sig Hellcat Pro 15 round & Shield 2.0 are great.
    He mentions that his Sig 365 Spectre Comp has the potential to replace the Shield Plus, but not today.

The one that he doesn't see being replaced b/c so special: SW Shield Plus. :coffee:

I thought this was intriguing b/c it reflected my own journey of having tried everything mentioned & more.
    But, no Taurus semi-auto b/c of bad experience with a Taurus 709 Slim & customer service 4-5 years ago. :nono:
    Plus, I'm a big fan of SW, with CZ, Sig, Ruger & "lesser" brands that I've had good experience with.

I also ended up with the SW Shield Plus PC & is in safe now. :rockwoot:
    The next day after buying a Shield Plus, I had a chance to buy a Shield plus Performance Center & did so, enamored by getting a SW PC for $50 more, as luck would have it.
    They both shot the same with my amateur old eyes & hands, so I didn't care which one I kept, although having a "PC" made me feel better about my thrifty/cheap self. :lmfao:
    I let a friend choose which one he wanted & of course he choose the less expensive one, haha! :spend:

I have not been temped to look for another semi-auto since the Shield Plus PC. :dunno:
    I've always loved anything Shield & had a few along the journey.
    I sold an original Shield years ago & jumped on the Sig 365 bandwagon after shooting a friend's when it came out.
    So impressed, I ran, not walked to Rural King an hour away, buying one of the few new guns in my life b/c they weren't stocked nearby after getting a heads up from a member here who know I was hot for one. :ingo:
    Thanks again INGO!!! :thumbsup:

I eventually came back to a Shield 2.0, but was thrilled when I tried the Shield Plus in my hands.
    I instantly knew it was a "Keeper." :wow:
    I have a small Kahr when I need a pocket carry & I still love my revolvers (Ruger LCR, SW 642 & Taurus 856).

pic of SW MP Shield PLUS 9 left side at range w13 rd mag.jpg

Shield Plus lower left, Kahr CM9 lower left, CZ Rami mid right.
    pic of the 5 guns on 4.04.2022.jpg

Shield Plus on top of a Ruger Max9.
    comparison pic with SW on top of Ruger Max 9 w10 rd mags.jpg
    Range 5.27.2020 SW MP Shield Plus PC 21ft.jpg Range 11.15.2021 Good.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Due to budgetary constraints,(read , no money) I have only 1 bigger bore (9mm) carry gun. I love my M&P 9c, I like the Shields, bought one for my son's first CC gun, he has since sold it, and like most of us...regrets it...If I ever found one for a great price I might buy one, I love me some S&W.....

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Due to budgetary constraints,(read , no money) I have only 1 bigger bore (9mm) carry gun. I love my M&P 9c, I like the Shields, bought one for my son's first CC gun, he has since sold it, and like most of us...regrets it...If I ever found one for a great price I might buy one, I love me some S&W.....
    I never could figure out why the 9C didn't go over better.. Better in every sense of the word than a G26 IMHO.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    My favorite currently is the Glock 43X, The Shield 2.0 before that
    Have a SIG P365XL & SA Hellcat coming as my next possible #1 carry pistol
    Both of those will wear a Romeo Zero Red Dot
    Like the M&P Shield Plus but haven't gone to one of those YET!
    I have six magazines for the 7/8 round Shield & four for the G43X
    M&P Shield & Glock 43X Holsters.jpg
    Glock 43X Magazines.jpg Shield Magazines.jpg

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have always had a slimmer build so I have gravitated towards the slimline pistols with a Gen one S&W Shield in 9mm being my first carry gun. Then I messed around with a P938 (broke it after 800~ rounds) , Dan Wesson ECO and a Sig Xcarry P320 all between 2013-2018. Then the P365 came out and I bought one of the very first ones and carried it till the P365X came out as I am a big believer in red dots on handguns.

Gv0UcAz.jpg

The interesting thing is my Dan Wesson ECO is almost the exact same size as my P365x , probably explains why I like both so much. The only thing that has been consistent the entire time has been my 147gr HST round of choice for carry.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Most of us have dropped a lot of money trying to improve our shooting ability by buying a "better" gun when what we really needed was more practice. I started with 1911s, then switched to Bersas, Tanfos, CZs, Glocks and Sigs. Now, I find that I'm shooting 1911s best and have to wonder what it would be like to have just stayed with 1911s and put that other cash into training and ammo. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Most of us have dropped a lot of money trying to improve our shooting ability by buying a "better" gun when what we really needed was more practice. I started with 1911s, then switched to Bersas, Tanfos, CZs, Glocks and Sigs. Now, I find that I'm shooting 1911s best and have to wonder what it would be like to have just stayed with 1911s and put that other cash into training and ammo. :dunno:
    I hear you & your point is made. :thumbsup:
    I too have owned many of the same guns over again.
    My personality is such that I have to try out everything just for fun. :dunno:
    I have bought many guns just b/c I knew I could enjoy shooting them & then selling them at my leisure for what I had in them.
    I've taken some criticism for that approach, which I find humorous, but such are the opinions about how someone does their hobby to suit them. :bash:

Covid changed all that approach b/c prices were so elevated. :wallbash:
    That, & ammo prices accelerating to the degree that I sold most all of my 9mm range guns.
    Looking back, I wish I'd just stayed with .22LR for the range & limited my other calibers to just function checks mostly.
    But, it was fun! :rockwoot:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I certainly wouldn’t say it’s the best, but the most amusing carry option I’ve seen was my FFL dealer’s. He’s an old marine that kind of gives off “tunnel rat” vibes and appendix carries a Colt 1917 with two spare moon clips. That said, I’ve seen him shoot it and wouldn’t recommend trying to rob his shop.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    While I haven't been through all of those, or even half, for me the two that got that designation are the HK P30SK LEM (double strike capability is peace of mind) or the PPQ SC.

I really really really wish I never got rid of my PPQ SC. But with the grayguns trigger on my HK I'm not as upset as before.

I'm still going to get another ppq sc someday and rotate them. I still like the feel of hammers over strikers but it isn't really a consideration when I'm buying.

One firearm that's on my list for a winter carry for me is the Beretta M9A4. I had an A3 for a while I got on a trade and should have kept it. I didn't care for the trigger but back then I wasn't upgrading triggers and internals on my firearms so I didn't really realize what a difference could be made.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sorry...I am a bit of a smart arse (wife tells me often). FWIW my carry piece is the SA Hellcat. Love it. For me best of all I tried.
    The Hellcat is a favorite of many.
    I usually end up trying out the latest & greatest out of curiosity, but just never went down the Hellcat road. Yet, haha!
    I did compare the size (handgunhero.com) with my Shield Plus PC & the Hellcat was .6" less in height while being .1" less in width & length.
    Smaller is better for me.
    I'll have to shoot one at the range rental to see how it compares.
    Now I'm curious. :dunno:

Last edited:

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I too have followed in your foot steps often buying your cast offs. I carried a shield gen 1 for five years bought here on Ingo. I always put it back in the safe while trying the new one, but after buying a shield plus 3.1 barrel and also a 4 in PC I sold the gen 1 and never regreted it. I rotate them both in daily carry depending on my shirt choice.

Top Bottom