Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My suggestion - write a review on TripAdvisor, note the suspect bourbon and see what comes of it. The manager may not be aware of what the bartending staff may be doing. Hotel bars are expensive as sin, they should at least be selling what you think you're buying. :twocents:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...en_Inn_Cincinnati_Blue_Ash-Blue_Ash_Ohio.html

This seems like good advice, just be fair and honest. Provide your past experience with the Woodford Reserve and compare it to what you were served. Don't state that they obviously watered it down/mixed it (could open you up for liable/slander?) but perhaps question if the management oversees the practices of the bar.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    This seems like good advice, just be fair and honest. Provide your past experience with the Woodford Reserve and compare it to what you were served. Don't state that they obviously watered it down/mixed it (could open you up for liable/slander?) but perhaps question if the management oversees the practices of the bar.

:yesway: Agreed.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Found New Holland's Beer Barrel Bourbon 80 proof 750ml for $28.99. I like their Dragon's Milk aged stout, so why not give her a whirl.

Report back on the New Holland please, I've been curious about that.

Starts with a quick, small heat but quickly settles into sweet maple/molasses and woody, spice flavors. Slight maltyness. Finishes with a little light, sweet, floral spice with subtle lingering vanilla, slight burn to a warm finish. The sweetness softly lingers on the middle to sides of the tongue.

Now, I find this more of a novelty than a repeat in the rotation. It is also too sweet for my taste. A more appropriate price point would be equivalent to Buffalo Trace. If I were to throw a number on it: 5/10

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Starts with a quick, small heat but quickly settles into sweet maple/molasses and woody, spice flavors. Slight maltyness. Finishes with a little light, sweet, floral spice with subtle lingering vanilla, slight burn to a warm finish. The sweetness softly lingers on the middle to sides of the tongue.

Now, I find this more of a novelty than a repeat in the rotation. It is also too sweet for my taste. A more appropriate price point would be equivalent to Buffalo Trace. If I were to throw a number on it: 5/10

Thank you for the informative review, much appreciated.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Vine & Table in Carmel bought two barrels of Wathens and my wife took me up there for a tasting last weekend. I liked one over the other but bought a bottle of both, they were on sale at $39 at the time. I'm not sure what the regular price is however.

I also grabbed a couple barrel staves which I'll be using to smoke a brisket in the not too distant future.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Sipping on a little bit of the 15 Year Old I.W.Harper Bourbon tonight. The bottle costs $75. Which, for a 15yo bourbon is actually modestly priced. It comes in a nice decanter bottle. The bottle holds a nice dark amber colored bourbon.

FWIW, the younger I.W.Harper is $35/bottle and the age is unmarked, but its a Straight Bourbon, so by law must be no younger than 2 years.

Lots of peppery spice in the 15yo I.W.Harper. One the nose you pick up peppery spice at just a casual whiff but if you actually put the Glencairn glass to your nose, which focuses the aroma, the peppery spice burns your nostrils if you inhale to deeply. There is also a pleasant undertone of butterscotch to the aroma as well as the scent of alcohol.

On the tongue it hits fairly sweet but finishes a little bit acerbic. There is no bold flavor to this bourbon, its actually somewhat nondescript and offers a hint of oaky flavor, which is not unexpected in a 15yo bourbon. Its not bad but that is the best I can say about this bourbon and as it goes down its got a fairly significant burn. The burn ends quickly, its not one of the long hot burns like a coal briquet that lingers, but more of a flash fire that flares hot but extinguishes quickly.

For $75 I'd prefer a bolder flavor and less of a burn.

Honestly I'd pick the lower priced and younger I.W.Harper over the 15yo version. The younger one makes a nice Old Fashioned and doesn't break the budget.

iwharperbourbon15yrs.jpg

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

Beer Barrel will always have a home in my collection. I enjoy it's different taste, a lingering hint of the stout barrel that it was aged in. I do think it is best with at least one ice cube. I also find it best after getting a good nose of it. Reminds me of being at a bonfire.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Poured a little YELLOWSTONE's limited edition 105 proof bourbon to ease my arthritis pain. Its spicy goodness. Big bold flavor. It is from the first release, which sold out quickly. They also offer a lower price 93 proof version that is a different blend. The 105 proof variety is made from two different 12 year old high rye bourbons blended with a 7year old wheat bourbon. I really like this but its more than double the price limit of this thread.

Followed it up with a little bit of BLOOD OATH Act 1 (first release) from 2015.

My arthritis is not feeling as bad now. I normally limit my drinking to just one drink. But damn today my arthritis is really hurting and an ounce or so of bourbon works better than Aleve and I don't like taking the hard core pain relievers that have been prescribed. I have them, I just don't like taking them.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    FWIW, the younger I.W.Harper is $35/bottle and the age is unmarked, but its a Straight Bourbon, so by law must be no younger than 2 years.

Straight bourbon by law must be aged a minimum of 2 yrs, but if the age is not marked it must be a minimum of 4.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Drinking some Don Julio 1942 tonight. I know it's not bourbon, and I know it's not under $50, but damn is it some smooth, awesome tequila. Love this stuff.

Top Bottom