• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I did open one of them this week. OFBS 127 proof this is a meijer select pick. As expected its very good lots of sweet honey and cinnamon at first then its a wild hot finish. It is the first pour from the bottle and I expect it to get better in a few weeks as it airs out. Its not my favorite but when it comes to bourbon one you hate may be your buddys go to drink. I just really am spoiled on the Elijah Craig BP and Stagg Jr at this point. I do have a Russells 13 BP im saving for family Thanksgiving that may give them a run tho. View attachment 156658
    Put your grip of death on those bottles Sparky, just visited the Old Forester Bottle Shop in Louisville today and apparently, you have more of those bottles than they do, lol.
    I've hit 3 liquor stores in Lexington and have found a bottle of 1792 Single Barrel (purchased), some Nulu I can't seem to pull the trigger on and a bottle of Old Carter rye for $215 (too rich for my blood). I do much better bottle hunting in Tennessee.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Put your grip of death on those bottles Sparky, just visited the Old Forester Bottle Shop in Louisville today and apparently, you have more of those bottles than they do, lol.
    I've hit 3 liquor stores in Lexington and have found a bottle of 1792 Single Barrel (purchased), some Nulu I can't seem to pull the trigger on and a bottle of Old Carter rye for $215 (too rich for my blood). I do much better bottle hunting in Tennessee.
    I guess a few cases of them dropped at Avon Meijer today. I saw several of them for sale on my indy whiskers facebook page for about 25$ more than msrp. Old Carter rye would be a solid snag but not sure about 215$ for it.

How was the selection down there? Do they have mostly everything but with a secondary market price or is it pretty slim pickin as well?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Happy Hour liquors in Nicholasville has had the best selection thus far. That's where I picked up the 1792 SB. They also had the Nulu, Ezra Brooks Cask Strength and a fair selection of Knob Creek varieties.
    Another store had the Old Carter and not much more and a third one had diddly squat.
    Overall, I find a better selection at my usual haunts back home and way better in my Tennessee travels.
    Kinda funny how the birthplace of bourbon has the weakest selection in a three state area.
    Most of the distillaries are either closed over Covid or the Labor Day holiday.
    Oh well, still got a great concert and a decent bottle to spend tomorrow with.
    Cheers!

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Happy Hour liquors in Nicholasville has had the best selection thus far. That's where I picked up the 1792 SB. They also had the Nulu, Ezra Brooks Cask Strength and a fair selection of Knob Creek varieties.
    Another store had the Old Carter and not much more and a third one had diddly squat.
    Overall, I find a better selection at my usual haunts back home and way better in my Tennessee travels.
    Kinda funny how the birthplace of bourbon has the weakest selection in a three state area.
    Most of the distillaries are either closed over Covid or the Labor Day holiday.
    Oh well, still got a great concert and a decent bottle to spend tomorrow with.
    Cheers!
    Yeah Ive heard even tho Kentucky and Tennessee have 98% of the world bourbon production the stores aint so hot anymore. Hell this was today at Franklin, IN Kroger store pick not like I need anymore bottles but I could not let it just sit there.:laugh: 20210905_141347.jpg 20210905_141351.jpg

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    While it should be under $50, I'm sure it wasn't. :rolleyes:

I've been hunting for a bottle of this for awhile. Never actually seen one in the wild. Don't know how but my wife tracked one down yesterday as a gift for our anniversary, which is tomorrow...

q1T9Foul.jpg

I like it a lot, but I'll go easy on it mostly due to how hard it is to come by around here.

As a cheaper and easier to find substitute, with a very similar flavor profile IMHO, I'll keep drinking this Redwood Empire Pipe Dream...

1QkNYoAl.jpg

On the downside, we usually don't do anniversary gifts. Now I feel compelled to find the wife a nice one on short notice. I wish she liked guns and bourbon. It would be soooooo much easier.:rolleyes:

Wait... Where's the pics? They show up in the preview. They open if you right click and say open image in a new tab. Never had issues here posting pics before.

WTF? Nevermind. They're back.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau

I've been hunting for a bottle of this for awhile. Never actually seen one in the wild. Don't know how but my wife tracked one down yesterday as a gift for our anniversary, which is tomorrow...

q1T9Foul.jpg

I like it a lot, but I'll go easy on it mostly due to how hard it is to come by around here.

As a cheaper and easier to find substitute, with a very similar flavor profile IMHO, I'll keep drinking this Redwood Empire Pipe Dream...

1QkNYoAl.jpg

On the downside, we usually don't do anniversary gifts. Now I feel compelled to find the wife a nice one on short notice. I wish she liked guns and bourbon. It would be soooooo much easier.:rolleyes:

Wait... Where's the pics? They show up in the preview. They open if you right click and say open image in a new tab. Never had issues here posting pics before.

Nice pick up and happy anniversary to ya both.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown

q1T9Foul.jpg

1QkNYoAl.jpg

EHT is really good stuff. One of my favorites in the Buffalo Trace lineup. Really hard to find MSRP but I have found it 75$ a few times on bourbon groups and did the deed and bought it

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I need to do myself an Ohio road trip for some more!
    Why Ohio? It is available in Indiana. Under $30/bottle for the green label. I usually just by a handle size for about $50. Keep it on hand. It is cheap and oh so darn good. Picked up another bottle today, but they were out of the big ones so I got a 750ml.

Also got a Basil Hayden Toasted Barrel and a Whistle Pig Bourbon while I was there.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I need to do myself an Ohio road trip for some more!
    Don't bother. On a road trip to see the kids in Virginia last week I swear I called every liquor store within 10 miles of a turnpike exit and none of them had got a Weller SR shipment in the last two months. :rolleyes:

Why Ohio? It is available in Indiana. Under $30/bottle for the green label. I usually just by a handle size for about $50. Keep it on hand. It is cheap and oh so darn good...
    Not in these parts. I have seen it exactly twice in Indiana stores. One bottle was $75, the other $125.

It's probably the best bargain in bourbon at the MSRP of $23, which Ohio stores are required to sell it for. I'd still probably buy it at double that price, but that's about my limit for it.

Fortunately, when my favorite Ohio stores are out, they always have Western Reserve wheated bourbon which is about $50 and better bourbon, IMHO. It's the little round bottle on the right...

7atTJgyl.jpg

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Wife decided the PS5 she scored me last week for my birthday (today) wasn't good enough. She came home today with a cake and a bottle of DO. Yes, the cake pretty much sums up our sense of humor in the relationship. Also, a friend came by with a bottle of Angel's Envy (not pictured). Both already in my stash but definitely good ones to have backups of.

1631414765022.png

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Trying my hand at custom blending and aging. The wife and kids got me a five gallon barrel for my b-day, and after research told me owning a still in Indiana is a felony, I decided blending was safer than distilling from scratch.

I currently have 8 handles of assorted bourbon aging in the barrel. I will post the exact blend later, but each handle was under $50 and three were Weller (green label)

The initial blend was better than any of the individual Bourbons (imho), and after two and a half weeks, a small sample from the tap has picked up a distinctive smoky flavor.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Wife decided the PS5 she scored me last week for my birthday (today) wasn't good enough. She came home today with a cake and a bottle of DO. Yes, the cake pretty much sums up our sense of humor in the relationship. Also, a friend came by with a bottle of Angel's Envy (not pictured). Both already in my stash but definitely good ones to have backups of.

View attachment 157886
    Happy belated birthday Baby Daddy (AKA Jfed85)
    That WR Double Oak is probably as sweet as that cake.............good stuff!

Sheepdog103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Why Ohio? It is available in Indiana. Under $30/bottle for the green label. I usually just by a handle size for about $50. Keep it on hand. It is cheap and oh so darn good. Picked up another bottle today, but they were out of the big ones so I got a 750ml.

Also got a Basil Hayden Toasted Barrel and a Whistle Pig Bourbon while I was there.
    Where?!?! Honest question...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Any certain store recommendation? I'd make a drive or ask family to pick up.

Much appreciated.
    I would but these are typically treated as 'backroom' brands and only the regular returning customers get to go into that room. Essentially it is like a loyalty program with perks at the gas station, only for bourbon, scotch, high end wine, etc.

There are several stores up here that do that. The regular customers have access to Weller and high end stuff. I'd hate to give you a store and then you waste your time for a 'one hit' shopping trip because the stores typically will direct you to their shelves.

I have an open invitation into the backroom at the largest store up here, sample for free before I buy, etc.

Top Bottom