• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Thanks. I think I know where I can get a bottle.
    No luck on the Angel's Envy rye. The AE website listed a place near me that was supposed to have it, but called them and they do not. Daughter lives in Carmel, so we go down there a lot. I'll see if I can find some around there.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've been looking for a bottle of EH Taylor and found one lonely dusty bottle on a top shelf behind the register at a store in Terre Haute. Under $50 too!
    e82d2c3c603667cc6d226289ada6466c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not a bourbon, technically a Canadian blended whiskey, bottled at Buffalo Trace with blending overseen by their master blender.

008800401891.jpg

Z

The wife brought me home a bottle of this the other day. Like most random bottles she brings home, it was purchased because she liked the bottle.:rolleyes:

I am generally skeptical of such purchases, her track record isn't all that good, but since she also got me a bottle of AE rye, I'll forgive her. After tasting it and being pleasantly surprised, she asked me to guess the price.

Being married over 25 years, I know how to play this game; guess high in all things price related, low on ANYTHING weight related.;)

I guess $50, thinking it would really be somewhere in the $30s and she'd feel good about her whiskey picking prowess. I was shocked to learn that it was $16 at our local grocery store.

Nose is kinda hot, somewhat harsh, but it's a very smooth, kinda buttery, easy drinker. It would be great for introducing whiskey to any noobies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Back to sub $50 bourbon...

Picked up these two on sale last week for $23.99 each...

XNa739xl.jpg

Old Tub is a revival of an old brand from the Jim Beam family. It's only been available in flask sized bottle in their gift shop for several years. Now it's back on store shelves for the first time in 80 years. It's a surprisingly good sub $30 bottle.

That KC 9 year ain't bad either. I bought a KC 12 year bottle a few months ago that cost $65 and didn't like it at all. IMHO, the 9 year is better.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Bought because I liked the bottle...
    Yep, I just did that too.
    I stopped into Market District and got a bottle of High West double Rye. It's in the $59 range iirc.
    Good heat @ 51.2 ABV.
    Good spice!

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Sampled a couple bourbons at Spirits of French Lick over the weekend. The Mattie Gladden was excellent if you like something with a bit more spice and character, while the Wheater reminded me of Larceny.

on a side note: they also featured a couple versions of absinthe. I tried their barrel aged version ( Fascination Street, iirc) and found it.. well, fascinating.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Sampled a couple bourbons at Spirits of French Lick over the weekend. The Mattie Gladden was excellent if you like something with a bit more spice and character, while the Wheater reminded me of Larceny.

on a side note: they also featured a couple versions of absinthe. I tried their barrel aged version ( Fascination Street, iirc) and found it.. well, fascinating.

I've tried about everything available in the tasting room there and enjoy them all. A have a bottle of Fascination Street (and a few others from SFL) at home and the maker suggests drinking it straight on ice as opposed to louching with ice water.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Haven't tried anything new in a couple of years. Sure do have a hard time finding eagle rare. Been flipping between makers mark and some of the offerings of jim beam.

Chaplain

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2010
    Crawfordsville, IN

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Canadian Mist isn't bad, it's $13.50 a 5th down here at the right stores. $28 at others.
    Keystone Ice 5.9 alc is pretty good. $5.99 per 15 pack of 12 oz cans at the right stores. I don't drink light beers.

Last edited:

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Mom and first stepdad lived on a 22 acre farm. Any kind of fruit he could find he made wine with it. Muscadines with seeds and hickory wood added, bottled at 45% alc was a killer. 2 drinks, where was the door? One year we did a mix of apple, pear, peach, plum and a little hickory. we pour it off at 55%, added water to get it to 20% then bottled. At Thanksgiving we brought 4 bottles home. At home 2 were sat in the panty on the floor, one was places in the fridge and we opened one to pour over ice. After one glass I'm thinking, do I need/want another glass. The wife says no more for me so I finish hers then to bed. About 5 am I hear 2 pops, at 6:30 I hear lots of noise. The kitchen smells like wine wasted and the fridge door is open. I sit all bottles on the counter and move the meter from one bottle to the next. They read 96.5 to 98.9 alc. At 8 am I call mom to give her a report then call my brother and sister. They didn't drink but their bottles popped. At 9 am mom calls back, we have 56 busted bottles of wine on the floor in the wine room.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just poured myself a little Knob Creek 9. Nice!

Daughter treated me to a bottle of Woodford Reserve Select. Looking forward to sampling that!

My favorite mixer is Evan Willams. That with a diet cola is one a favorite go to drink when I am not in the mood to just enjoy the flavor of the others.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Willphill12
    Top Bottom